Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Calibre Sentry – my thoughts
  • steamtb

Just in case anyone is considering a Sentry, I couldn’t find much stuff about it when I was deliberating whether to buy one or not, so I thought my experience might be worth putting in writing in case it’s of interest to anyone.

First off, I had no plans to change my bike. I have a Calibre Triple B with Pikes, uprated shock, Guide REs etc and it’s been an absolutely superb bike, whether on gentle local trails or hooning the blacks at Revolution Bike Park, I thought I would have it for years yet, then I found out how much I could get a Sentry for on a cycle to work scheme… :O 🙂

There were two things that worried me about the Sentry. Number one, it’s weight, and two, which size to get. On the whole weight front, after I realised how heavy the tyres and cassette was, I figured I could quite easily lose weight in the future if I wanted to. The crank is also probably a bit hefty. On the size front, at 5 10” I’m between sizes, but I’ve always gone up a size to large, which has been perfect for me. However, looking at the measurements on the Sentry, it looked like a really big bike so I was leaning towards the medium with the thought in the back of my mind that if I did get the medium, I might be missing out on the “point” of the Sentry sizing…

Anyway, after trying both, although not 100%, I went for the medium. As soon as I got it I did all the normal stuff. Pedals, saddle, tubeless conversion etc; the front took about 8 mins and the rear took hours, I’ve never had so many problems getting it to seal. Even popping a tube in and taking it out didn’t work, so I ended up sticking a tube in again, only opening the tiny bit on one side near the valve and then sacrificing the tube to the tubeless gods, cutting it out then holding the tube to the rim while I pumped like a loony :O

Anyway, as well as local blasts, today it did Llandegla. First impressions were very favourable, the geometry and sizing feel just right, I’ve never had a bike that feels so spot on. Surprisingly, it really doesn’t feel heavy, my subjective impression and my time’s on Strava suggest it climbs as well as many of my lighter bikes and then we hit the downs. This really is a bike that works beyond it individual parts, it’s stable, fast, loves jumping and those heavy tyres have ridiculous amounts of grip; slippy rock gardens just invite you to go faster, I doubt my ability will ever catch up with the bikes. Even with just a bit of extra travel, the way the bike works just absorbs drop offs and bigger jumps with oodles of control and comfort. I felt very tired today after an exhausting week, but I still managed numerous PRs and struggled to remove the smile from my face.

Anyway, as you can tell, I love it, I’m very glad I went for the medium and the tyres are staying for the winter. If anyone is considering one and has any questions, please ask!

Poopscoop

Saw one of those on Thursday when I went to Decathlon.

Not heard of it before so had a good look at it. Really nice looking bike.

I love stealthy looking bikes, not into the whole flouro thing.

Glad you are getting on with it too!

null

steamtb

Yes, that’s one of the first things I thought; lovely colour and very under the radar!

It’s home is Go Outdoors, although Decathlon is very much in the same mould, just a bit more French 🙂

steamtb

I meant to add in my first post, the Guide RE brakes, with 200mm rotors up front are mustard as you would expect. I’ve had Eagle NX gears on another bike and I found them a bit fussy; on this bike, they are faultless and worked with silky smoothness, maybe just testimony to GoOutdoors setting it up properly?!?

smogmonster

If only they did the Pro model with an air shock option….

scandal42
    Free Member

Really wish this was less travel.

Looks good in the flesh but it’s just a bit of a monster

dc1988

So how much can you get it for on CTW?

steamtb

One of my pre purchase concerns was the “it’s a bit of a monster” as I also do a fair bit of gentle riding, I guess the 29 wheels help but offset a bit by the tyres that likely don’t, anyway, it feels fine pootling around and I will be keeping this as my only bike (I’ve generally ran a hardtail alongside my FS bikes). I don’t notice the extra travel over the BBB when pottering, although the rear shock doesn’t have a lock out, there must be some geometry tricks stopping it interfering with pedalling. Next summer I will also pop on some lighter tyres and a cassette, as I would be interested to see how much difference that makes. From a personal perspective, my opinion is heavily influenced by the fact that the bike just fits me well.

On the cycle scheme, I should be saving between 30 and 40%, the quote was towards the higher end, although I don’t think that takes into account the ownership fee, so maybe in the middle!

chakaping
    Free Member

Really wish this was less travel

There’s a new Vitus FS trail bike offering similar value. Think that was 130 or 140mm travel.

kayak23

That really is a sorted-looking bike.

dc1988

I’ve been tempted, however just looking and my employer can’t use Go Outdoors and still has a £1k limit

rezis
    Free Member

I’ve just got triple B (old model, was going cheap) is there anything I need to look out for?!

Thanks 😁

steamtb

“ I’ve just got triple B (old model, was going cheap) is there anything I need to look out for?!”

Not much. BB is easy to change when needed and it’s worth Regularly maintaining the bottom bearing on the head (the one at the top of the forks, I guess it has a name!), as there is a silly ingress gap. If you have the guide re brakes, stick sintered pads in and they are epic. Dropper post works perfectly unless you have too much cable tension, it prefers less not more. Not sure of anything else off the top of my head, but it’s a brilliant and robust bike…

rezis
    Free Member

Thanks steamtb, it’s come with stealth dropper as original was damaged hence discount and for some reason Guide T brakes not the RE. But still more bike than I’m capable of using!

My Calibre Dune is still giving good service, really impressed with the value of the Calibre bikes and the Sentry looks fab but that’s even more than I don’t need… 😳

steamtb

Just a bit of an update now I’ve ridden this a lot more. It’s brilliant, just superb in every way and the fit / geometry makes for a very comfortable ride. Took it to Eastridge on a very wet, greasy day and it was ridiculously confidence inspiring. I did the normal black / red then several of the more technical sections from the top; comfortable, fast, composed and loads of fun 🙂 my previous bikes would have felt a bit dicey down some of the slippy rocky, rooty trails. 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anyone ridden one in comparison to a Whyte S150-S??

tomcrow99

Agreed regarding the sizing, I would normally ride an XL but sat on one the other day in a Go outdoors and was surprised to find out it was a Medium! Felt almost as big as my Kona Process in XL. Incredible value for money. Especially as a scout leader I get an additional 15% off (search online for the code)

joebristol

Agreed regarding the sizing, I would normally ride an XL but sat on one the other day in a Go outdoors and was surprised to find out it was a Medium! Felt almost as big as my Kona Process in XL. Incredible value for money. Especially as a scout leader I get an additional 15% off (search online for the code)

My mates Kona Process feels unbelievably short in medium vs my medium long Bird Aeris. Really short chainstays and reach – sort of modern ish but not up-to-date with The latest enduro bikes. Different bikes for different things though – the Process is hilarious on flow trails and wants to manual and jump off everything (like my Vitus Sentier) – but on fast rocky stuff it gets a bit twitchy and feels short.

I am curious about these modern 29ers but the Aeris can already sanitise easier trails so imagine the 29ers would do this even more.

docrobster
    Free Member

Just popped into my local go outdoors and ordered one of these. They are £1800 at the moment online although the chaps in the shop weren’t aware they were happy to honour it. I sat on the medium in the shop and ordered a large. I’m about 5’11 and a half.
    Moving from a 26” 115mm travel bike with 420 reach and 1136 wheelbase so its going to be quite a change!
    Can’t wait to try it out!

astormatt
    Free Member

Picked up my Pro earlier this week…was going to go for the lower spec model but when i went in to order it they had a pro in medium on display and as soon as i saw it i wanted it…really hoping it rides as good as it looks!
    First trip out will be next weekend and i can’t wait! Also decided to go back to flat pedals after a decade clipped in…only rode it for literally 30 seconds outside the house and came away with a bloody shin after slipping of the pedal trying to hop up the kerb…

docrobster
    Free Member

Thought I would pop back on to this thread now that my sentry has had its first birthday…
    Long term I’m still really impressed. There is definitely something in this long low slack geometry thing!
    I’ve ridden stuff in the last year that I’ve walked down in the past… steep tech has got a lot easier! Survived a pre lockdown trip to Antur Stiniog, a first ever trip to the long mynd, and has excelled on the steep tech on win hill… plus all the usual Sheffield/peaks stuff.
    Took some time getting used to how much more effort needed to turn into corners. Definitely likes going in a straight line. Swap to a 35mm stem fitted has helped that a bit.
    I’ve also had pb’s on a couple of climbs in the dark peak- which given that I’m now the wrong side of 50 and I took 10 secs off a 2 minute climb that I previously pb’d in 2012 was a surprise… grip I guess

Downsides- rear wheel build was poor and needed spokes tightening regularly. Mind you’ve I’m 100kg kitted up and have put some biggish dents in the rim before fitting a rimpact. Dropper lever it came with was crap so replaced with a bonty one. Powerspline bb now sounds like a washing machine- but was expected. Will replace with shimano cranks and bb at some point. Dropper has got a bit slow to return but some lower leg fork mix under the top collar has improved that.
    Seemed to have found the limits of grip for the front tyre recently on a very wet morning at win hill. Maybe a magic Mary would be better?
    It’s heavy to lift over gates or onto the roof of the car!
    And I knackered the rear axle and had to hammer a torx bolt in to get it out. Probably poor maintenance to blame there.

Bearings still seem fine, but have got some spares to pop in in the spring. Anyone changed them? Is it hard? I’ve got a puller and have changed bearings before…

steamtb

I’m 14 months in on my Sentry and no intention of changing it anytime soon, it’s an awesome bike and does everything well, it’s just superb. It takes me to Dyffi, Revolution, Eastridge and for gentle tootles along country lanes 🙂 it’s a far better bike than I will ever be a rider.

I have swapped some stuff to my tastes including a lighter crank, nukeproof rear wheel, Hans Dampf Addix for the rear and Minion for the front, a garboruk rear cassette (the old one weighed as much as a small moon) and the stem. Feels absolutely spot on. I’ve also got a Scandal for winter riding duties as I don’t feel the compulsion to have to clean it properly after every ride; every time I jump back on the Sentry, I’m blown away by what a cool bike it is. Mines not much over 15kg as it stands.

Re the bearings, I have some spare and was going to fit them. Having spoken to a mechanic who has serviced these since they came out, he mentioned bearings seem to be doing really well and should last a while yet, so I’m not bothering for now!

docrobster
    Free Member

Ah that’s good to know. I’ll keep hold of them for now. Dyfi looks immense. Would love a trip there.
    Which cassette have you gone for?
    I’ve got a 29 hardtail too “for the winter” but the sentry is so much fun I keep pulling out of the shed…

zerocool

What things did you upgrade on your BBB? Wife has one and so far it’s just her regular bars, stem and pedals that we’ve swapped. We’ve both been impressed with how it rides.

Much better than her old Transition Covert and just as fun at FOD as her top spec Capra was. And as that’s where we’ll mainly be riding in the near future that’s a good thing (obviously the Capra’s BOS suspension is a lot better but I can’t imagine upgrading to more than a Pike or 34 if one comes up for the right price).

steamtb

On my old model of the BBB, swapped the same as you plus the tyres and I had a Pike fork sat in the garage so I stuck that on. I’m not sure how much difference the Pike made as it felt great before and after. Super trail bike, even at places like Revolution and gave me a lot of affection for Calibre as a brand 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

Thanks steamtb. So that’s about £120 more than an nx cassette to save 300g… Is that good? I’ve no idea but seem to remember a rule of thumb being £1 per gram?

twape101
    Free Member

I moved to Australia 4 years ago with my OG Bossnut.

Was sad to think I’d never get the chance to ride a Sentry, but then Calibre did a deal with Polygon, and Polygon have resold the Sentry in Aus and US as the Vander N7. a couple of small changes (tyres, cassette, stem, bars) but essentially the same bike, although with really shit powder coated paint.

I’ve had it for a month or so and really like the bike. its so confidence inspiring and can fly through rocky sections and drops.

I’m 6’2 with long legs and went with the XL. TBH i probably could have gone with the L for a more fun bike, but didnt get the chance to try before buying. but the length is very stable which makes me want to go faster and harder.

one issue is that I got a Funn zippa bashguard but the screws it came with dont fit the mounts. does anyone know the thread size of the bashguard mounts?

steamtb

Sorry, not sure about the bashguard mounts…

The Sentry is still proving a brilliant bike, so much so, the Scandal barely gets used now. One advantage of the lockdown and sticking to the same local trails is that it’s encouraged me to do stuff I was always a bit scared of before and the Sentry is the perfect partner in crime for that 🙂

steamtb

Bad news and good news. I had an issue with the mech bolt hole on my Sentry and unfortunately, given the supply situation, the supply of a new rear triangle wasn’t on the cards at any point soon. Thankfully GoOutdoors have been amazing and offered an exchange or refund, given there isn’t another bike I want and how much I love the Sentry, we managed to find a Sentry Pro and I paid the extra. First big ride today, spent several hours on the Sentry Pro on the trails at Eastridge and the bike is quite amazing, the speed it carries is laugh out loud territory, so much fun, it’s hard to stop smiling 🙂

Massive thanks to GoOutdoors (My local branch Shrewsbury and also Reading who had the Pro in stock), I’ve owned several of their bikes and their service has always been outstanding!

joebristol

That looks a proper beast going downhill with Lyrik Ultimates and a Super Deluxe Coil shock. Amazing spec on it for the money. I’d be tempted to swap the 32t steel chainring out for a 30t one as it has to weigh a lot, but other than that it look enduro racing ready!

docrobster
    Free Member

Same issue as me then steamtb? The dropout cracked around the mech hanger bolt hole due to poor design/lack of metal…

I took the Refund and spent it on a bird aether 9 frame. Built it up with the parts from my hardtail.

I hope you don’t have the same problem with your new frame…

Can’t fault the shop staff, just a shame the chainstay has the weak spot.

Edit- I still have the spare bearings- never needed to fit them- yours for postage if you want @steamtb

steamtb

@docrobster yes, same as you. I did think about it as a future issue too and if new rear triangles don’t come available as spares then as long as I keep an eye on it so it’s not too far gone, it should be repairable if needed. I did think about the refund but the Sentry is just a perfect fit for me, and the Pro is epic fun 🙂

Yes, bearings would be awesome, thanks! Just send me payment details and I will fire across the cash. Whereabouts are you based? I presume not in Shropshire? 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

Haha no I’m in Sheffield but have friends in Ludlow I will be seeing in a couple of weeks I could leave them there for you to collect if it’s easier.

steamtb

I’m a bit away from Ludlow and I’m not sure when I’m there again, so could you post please? Thanks 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

Ok I’ll send you a dm
    Although I can’t post till next week when I’m out of COVID isolation hell…

steamtb

Thanks, no rush, hopefully shouldn’t need them for quite some time 🙂 hope you don’t go too crazy in isolation!

steamtb

Just a bit of an update on the Sentry Pro. It’s turning out to be quite special :). A bit too special for my normal tyres which were failing, so I stuck on the flow snap that came with the bike. They are pretty heavy duty at about 1.3 kg each, but they’ve been superb in all conditions and happily take repeated big drops with no complaints. On that note, despite it being a much heavier bike with the coil shock, it goes up stuff well and the speed it goes down is hilarious. I’m guessing my weight (72 kg) is a sweet spot for this spring, smooth and controlled whatever the terrain, I can’t see me going back to an air shock after this. The Lyrik ultimate is a pretty cool partner up front and really comes into its own when the going gets fast and bumpy. Interestingly, the code r brakes feel like they could do with more bite, although my times on pretty much everything are much quicker, so that may also contribute to it.

I swapped the crappy shock lockout grips for a lever, which I never actually need to use, but it does mean I could put my own grips on.

Anyway, awesome bike that’s really brought on my riding and it’s now my only, do it all bike too 🙂

steamtb

So a Propain Tyee came into my life, which left me with a bit of a quandary. I didn’t want to sell the Sentry (now with Yari forks) but it seemed a bit daft running two bikes with the same purpose. The Sentry is still running perfectly too, although I have swapped the awful reverb for a brilliant brand X dropper…

My wife has a voodoo hardtail but has never really embraced mountain biking and often feels a bit shaken about, even so, she has always point blank refused a FS of any description. So I wondered, a not featherweight enduro bike with heavy duty tyres and rimpact pro inserts front and back, that would go down like a lead balloon surely?

Short stem and SQ labs 16 degree bars with the dropper fully inserted meant the bike had a lovely (for Carol!) upright seating position. Monstrous saddle also added. Any fears I had about it being too heavy were unfounded, we did her first red route and she really enjoyed it. It’s the first time she’s been mountain biking and still felt fresh afterwards with no shoulder or arm aches or any other issues. She found the climbing on rough trails a lot easier too. So overall, a surprising win and the Sentry lives on in the Aspinall house 🙂

I suppose it also means that there is an emergency bike available for those that need it…

joebristol

That’s worked out awesome in that case – who knew – heavy enduro bike for red trail centre bimbling! I guess it’s just taken away her fatigue from getting bashed about.

You could always stick some lighter weight / faster rolling tyres on it to make the pedalling easier for her. Dissector / Rekon or Ground Controls / Nobby Nics etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.