Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Calibre Sentry Long term Reviews/Problems
  • tom13
    Free Member

Has anyone got a Sentry, if so What do you think of it? Are you worried spares are going to dry up now Calibre have gone?

I read they can crack around the rear hanger mount, is this true? Any other weak spots? I’m looking to buy a used good condition version of the basic model. If anyone in the Midlands has a Large or XL I can sit on that would be great.

Cheers

docrobster
    Free Member

I had one. It cracked as you describe. I started a thread about it. The bike was 18 months old when I noticed and I was given a full refund due to no spares available (last July)
    It probably happened in sept 2020 when I had a mech in spokes incident.
    I had a L and it was a good fit for me at 181cm tall.
    I paid £1800 for mine in late 2019 if that helps with value. It would have to be pretty cheap to be worth the risk I think. If the frame snapped you could swap everything over to something else like a sonder evol so what’s the value of the components?
    It’s concerning that there is no prospect of spare chainstay if/when it cracks. They were listed as available on go outdoors website for £95 but no longer show up in a search.

docrobster
    Free Member
    tom13
    Free Member

Cheers just sent you a PM.

Anymore experiences?

doomanic

What’s happened to Calibre then?

johnnystorm

There still appear to be Calibre branded boggo hardtails but no full sussers anymore. Go Outdoors seem to just be selling the Polygon models the Calibres were based on. Dunno if the Polygons are similar enough to be spares compatible to the Calibres?

zerocool

Calibre had a problem with Polygon who made their bikes (not sure what the problem was, but a short time later Polygon started selling Bossnut copies under their own name). Calibre are apparently found another factory to build their future bikes not sure on an ETS though.

A friend had been abusing his Calibre Pro since 2019 without any problems (besides component wear and tear).

jameso

Calibre had a problem with Polygon who made their bikes (not sure what the problem was, but a short time later Polygon started selling Bossnut copies under their own name)

The Bossnut was based on Polygon frame parts / linkages to begin with so I expect there will be parts for Polygon bikes that fit the Calibres. The company who own Polygon are a big manufacturer in SE Asia.

kimbers

My local go outdoors were vs keen to get rid of their sentries, bike department guy was open to offers on his last one.

crazyjenkins01

A lot of the Polygon spares will fit Calibre frames as they are a very similar design (Polygon manufactured the frames for Calibre).

Calibre now have another frame manufacturer, but global parts shortages mean there aren’t any new bikes ready to sell, but will be soon.

Look up and join Calibre Sentry Owners group on FB, loads of good info on there.

johnnystorm

If Go Outdoors/Calibre did have a problem with Polygon’s manufacturing then becoming the sole retailer/distributor of the brand seems an odd move! 🤣

steamtb

I have posted a few threads about mine and I love the bikes. On my original Sentry, I had the same rear mech bolt crack, I was offered a refund or exchange so got the Sentry Pro instead of the refund. I’m not overly worried about the same issue, I will keep an eye on it and if it starts to happen again, an aluminium welder said it wouldn’t be an issue to sort. It’s also the same as one of Polygons Zanders and there “may” be spare rear triangles again in the near future… saying that, this frame looks fine!

Back to the bikes, I absolutely love them, I do everything from gentle road rides to bike parks and it never fails to amaze with its capabilities. If yours is the standard Sentry, then adding a coil shock makes it even more capable, there isn’t much they can’t do and I have no plans to change it 🙂

I’ve done several thousand miles on mine and dozens of bike parks like Dyfi and Revs!

steamtb

I meant to add, I am 5’10” and have a medium which you’re welcome to try, but that may be a bit small for you! Near Shrewsbury so West Midlands…

droplinked

My mate has a Sentry pro and has abused it load and its still going strong. The paint is a bit of a weak point though. I used to have a Triple B and abused that loads too. I think the Facebook owners groups know the bearing sizes that are used, so should be able to get those at least.

This is the speculation from the Calibre FB page about the whole Calibre – Polygon thing. Might be rubbish, but here you go.

Go Outdoors (Calibre) went into administration in early 2020 which resulted in lot of their suppliers and creditors not being paid, and orders with bike suppliers being cancelled. The Indonesian company that manufactured the Calibre frames for Go Outdoors, were left with a bunch of frames from the cancelled/unpaid order, and ended up selling them themselves under their own direct brand, Polygon. A bit like Planet X/On-One buying up the Sick bicycle frames and launching the Hello Dave.

Go Outdoors were bought back out of administration later in 2020, but the pandemic, supply chain issues, and bike part shortages, meant that they were effectives right at the back of the queue for ordering any new bikes and parts from suppliers. It appears that they haven’t been able to get any new Calibre bikes made, so have then struck a deal with Polygon to sell their bikes in the UK for the time being.

It’s unclear if Go Outdoors will release any new Calibre Bikes or whether Polygon will end up being their in-house brand going forward. One thing that is known though, is that the guy who designed Calibre bikes doesn’t work for Go Outdoors anymore, I think he’s now at Whyte.

mashr

an aluminium welder said it wouldn’t be an issue to sort

Is he going to be able to heat treat it though? That’s where alu repairs always fall down

johnnystorm

The Indonesian company that manufactured the Calibre frames for Go Outdoors, were left with a bunch of frames from the cancelled/unpaid order, and ended up selling them themselves under their own direct brand, Polygon. A bit like Planet X/On-One buying up the Sick bicycle frames and launching the Hello Dave.

That doesn’t make any sense to me. Polygon are huge, surely they didn’t just branch out into full Sussers because Go Outdoors pulled some cheeky financial moves to restructure their business? Then they agreed to let this hugely unreliable company who owed them piles of cash to go on and be their UK distributor?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is he going to be able to heat treat it though? That’s where alu repairs always fall down

Depends on what it’s made of? IIRC it’s 7xxx series aluminum which requires heat treating, 6xxx doesn’t. It can still get too hot, or fail in the heat affected zone after welding, but in theory and if done correctly, it doesn’t need it.

is that the guy who designed Calibre bikes doesn’t work for Go Outdoors anymore, I think he’s now at Whyte.

What ever happened to him joining Planet-x?

steamtb

The fault in the rear triangle was the locating grub screw surround for the hanger, but the hanger is obviously secured by the rear axle, so I’m guessing it takes minimal, barely any, load? On a used bike it should be pretty easy to spot any issues…

They are pretty epic bikes and the triple B before it was too. Helped me do a very scary (to me) gap jump with ease this weekend so I’ve got that new bike awe again even though I’ve had the Sentry for ages 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.