Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Calf injuries after crap from running
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

A week last Sunday I completed the Greqat North Run, I was full of cold and tight in the chest before starting the run and suffered at the end with cramps starting. The last mile was run, cramp, stretch and repeat. After crossing the line, after collecting medal and goody bag both my calves cramped up and I couldn’t move. The muscles were really distorted, remaining cramped up for over half an hour and after some help I got to the medical tent. Lots of water and massaging and I was able to hobble off again for the long trek back to North Shields. I still got short bouts of cramp for the rest of the day.
    Problem I have is both calves continued to be swollen and sore up until Saturday when they suddenly went down. The right leg now feels fine but the left calf is still slightly swollen and sore. As the swelling went down bruising appeared on the left leg mainly at the top of the calf but also lines where the top of my running shoe were and even the elastic on my socks that I wore. Should I be concerned and go see a doctor or just continue in that it isn’t painful just sore and man it out?

wwaswas

Calf injuries after crap from running

That you Paula?

Coyote
    Free Member

How much training did you do before the event? How experienced a runner are you?

jimdubleyou

Should I be concerned and go see a doctor or just continue in that it isn’t painful just sore and man it out?

I’m not a doctor, but I would just fork out the £40 to go and see a physio or masseur/se.

This may actually be more painful than just sucking it up.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Now that you are past the initial trauma, I would go to see a decent sports physio.

I had recurring problems with my calves (soleus’, rather than Gastrocs) for a number of years.

Once the physio has freed up the muscles (if that is required), it is important to start strengthening to repair the muscles -calf drops and raises with knees bent and with knees straight.

When the calf muscles have recovered the lowers/raises may not be as important, as they don’t really simulate/contribute to running.

I found that rope skipping is very good for calf rehab once the pain has gone.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Coyote, I’ve been running for over two years and prior to the GNR I had been doing at least 10miles as my weekly long run with shorter runs in between. I had done over the half marathon distance during training and tapered down prior to run feeling good up until the week of the run when I got ill. No cramps during training and used foam rollers to ease the muscles during the week.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Calf injuries after crap from running

That you Paula?

Whoops. How to I correct that. It was my biggest fear doing long runs though.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Looks like I need to book an appointment with a sports physio.

My main concern was the sudden appearance of bruising well after the event and once the swelling had gone down.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Go and see a physio. You are in Bradford ? Bingley Harriers have some physios noted on their website, I use the one in Baildon, as do a lot of club runners

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Calf injuries after crap from running’ is closed to new replies.