Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • calculating calorie needs for a 24hr race
  • darrell
    Free Member

i’m going solo for the first time this summer at a race here in Norway. what sort of calorie input do i need to ride for 24hr (minus the odd kip)

Pricey8
    Free Member

Its very difficult to calculate accuratly. Email torq and ask for the performance resourse should make it very clear. Look in last issues stuff from matt hart for details.

Calorie input wont be much use what will be more use to you is gastric emptying is a more important factor as this is how much of the food you put in actually goes in. i think based based on scientific research and recommendations you need 1g/CHO/perKgbodyweight an hour. But make sure you start getting base training in to ensure you are able to usitilse more fat as fuel as this will allow you to ride longer without coming fatigued due to energy depletion.

beej

Yup, you need to load up on carbs beforehand for a couple of days, then the limiting factor in the race will be the amount that your stomach can process. Have too much and you’ll get stomach cramps/nausea (drink plain water to help ease this).

I find I go well on 1 litre of 6% energy drink per hour (~60g of carbs), or a bar (~50g carbs) every 45 mins or so, with water+electrolytes. Useful having other stuff in reserve if you get bored, plus you’ll probably fancy some real food for a 24.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘calculating calorie needs for a 24hr race’ is closed to new replies.