Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Cairns – Mind the snakes and arses
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.redbull.com/en/bike/stories/1331646985005/cairns-pov-claudio
    Guessing the redbull video doesn’t embed

Done so that you can see more of the course than when Mich Hannah did his, some great pics of confused Dh’s looking at rock gardens going round.

z1ppy

😯 wow…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Love those course commentaries from Claudio

honourablegeorge

Looks fun. Interested to see it from other angles, looks quite smooth on the headcam, which I’m sure isn’t the case

AlexSimon

Funny (especially at 2:15)
    Not sure what to make of the course. Looks hard to film for TV!
    Claudio did it in 4:28, wonder what the winning time will be?
    4:00?

kimbers

looks tough, some tricky sections and a fair bit of pedalling in there
    -goes off to check fantasy team-

does look tough to film aswell

kayak23

Looks brilliant. Not sure how much we’ll see in the filming but looking forward to it. Claudio rules… 😀

gazc
    Free Member

is that a root or a snake? 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

Oops!!

mikey74
    Free Member

At first I thought the track was a bit bland, but this gives a far better indication of what is in-store:

Peaty Track-walk

It looks like one tricky track, especially if it stays wet.

grahamt1980

That looks like an awesome track, looks like there will be some monster crashes if it rains

johnj2000
    Free Member

That’s a pretty good indication of the speed I ride over that kind of terrain. If only I had a camera so I could show you…………………….

racefaceec90

😆 followed quickly by 😯 parp!

stomlinson
    Free Member

Sorry have to disagree I think the track looks nowhere near hard enough for the best riders in the world, dh tracks should be steep and technical first the SA track then this! I know it’s hard to tell on a helmet cam but I can’t believe this track is technically demanding enough not sure if the UCI are choosing the tracks people want to see and the riders want to ride, poor show! Wouldn’t be so bad if there were more races in the calendar.

wiggles
    Free Member

Post your go pro run of the track and I’ll take your post more seriously 😉

mulv1976
    Free Member

Sorry have to disagree I think the track looks nowhere near hard enough for the best riders in the world, dh tracks should be steep and technical first the SA track then this! I know it’s hard to tell on a helmet cam but I can’t believe this track is technically demanding enough not sure if the UCI are choosing the tracks people want to see and the riders want to ride, poor show! Wouldn’t be so bad if there were more races in the calendar.

HA HA HA HA HA. I had to laugh at this comment – pure trolling. Have you watched the peaty track walk? Even Minnaar says some of the rock sections are ‘pretty gnarly’ and he’s not exactly one to back off.

epicyclo

My house in Oz was only 1 km from the course. Tried to go down the old DH one. Seriously steep in places – so simply sent the bike on ahead and went down on my bum (couldn’t walk).

Film flattens it all out.

BTW I believe 9 out of the world’s deadliest snakes are native to the Cairns region. Even after 10 years back here I still brake and swerve for branches on the ground… 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-115hcjF8[/video]
    Just popping the vid in.

Sorry have to disagree I think the track looks nowhere near hard enough for the best riders in the world, dh tracks should be steep and technical

I’d suggest watching the track walk vid and having a think about it. Then strapping on a pair and giving it a go. I’ll be posting up a helmet cam when I go up there 🙂 It might be a bit more comedy than action.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oh and this is what the weather is doing 🙂
    I wish there were some more practice/quali stuff about looks like it could be bonkers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and this is the XC course

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Adam Brayton just tweeted “lets go ride somewhere easier, like Norway” Think he’s had a big crash. I guess the track most be sooo easy.

WildHunter2009

Looks mental, though they should count themselves lucky its mud not ruddy pea gravel! The devils surface that stuff.

epicyclo

But they don’t need to worry about the snakes.

The spiders will take care of them… 🙂

[video]http://youtu.be/j65i5PDUeT4[/video]

But don’t go swimming near the croc signs…

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’ve seen the course and ridden bits as they were building it last October. Mostly the XC and some of the DH, but backwards!

Pythons are very common in the area, enough poisonous snakes to keep you on your toes too.

The course has had lots of work since I was there, but the bottom sections are steeper in real life than they look and some of the doubles and gaps are huge. In the wet its very slippery.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The XC course looks brilliant.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnCxSSkozzY[/video]
    Certainly looks tame…

ceepers

It’s going to be carnage surely?

Danny hart for the win?

packer
    Free Member

This has all the makings of an epic race – can’t wait for this one!

I’m particularly interested to see how the riders tackle that MX-style whoops section at high speed… should be interesting!

honourablegeorge

They’re handling that rhythm section OK

View this post on Instagram

Braaaap

A post shared by Rob Warner (@robwarner970) on

whippersnapper
    Free Member

even watching is making me wince, let alone riding it – what with all the snakes and spiders and being too easy and everything 😉

Not sure about that long drag out at the end though, that would upset a Danny Hart win surely?

Northwind

Too easy 😆

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Little Troy might nail this.

Not changing my team ’cause I’m still rooting for Mick, Tracey and Gee.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d have put Mick as the favourite if it was dry but it’s not…

If it rains on and off it’s a lottery and a good chance for one of the young kids.

If it hammers it down until the end of the race it might get easier to ride and then back to the big boys with an outside chance of a danny hart style run where going balls out works though looking at the off camber that could go very very wrong.

warpcow
    Free Member

Looks like it’ll be a good one.

Mick just got the boot from my team. Danny’ll get a go instead, if only for this weekend maybe.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’ve got connor fearon in my fantasy league, hoping the gamble pays off.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Looks like its going to be an epic race.

doom_mountain

Course looks great, hope Redbull manage to get some decent camera locations.
    Looks tricky to film… and dead easy to ride 😉

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Just wanna see Fairclough on this bit.

I reckon RedBull will get good stuff but I don’t think we’ll get any super long tracking shots like at MSA.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

This Is Peaty – Ratboy Head Cam.

‘Oo put that there..?’

kimbers

marc beaumont up to nearly 80kph im practice today
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/results-timed-practice-world-cup-round-2-cairns-2014.html
    cant imagine what that must feel like on a gnarly DH track!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Cairns – Mind the snakes and arses’ is closed to new replies.