Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cairngorms
  • amplebrew

I'm going up to Aviemore at the end of next week for 10 days and know a few routes in the area, but was looking at some of the tracks around the carpark near to the Cairngorm mountain railway.

I've got a feeling that bikes aren't allowed on the Cairngorms as I know that they're keen on a 'no trace' policy?

On of the tracks I was looking is the wide track that starts between the mountain railway and the shop/cafe.

goodgrief
    Free Member

you wont get much higher than the cafe on a bike due to the snow

stevious

Watch out for the skiers on that route…

amplebrew

I've been checking the local weather and webcams, it's looking a bit chilly!!!

I went last April and the weather was really great (for the time of year) 🙂

So I am right in thinking it's a no go area on a bike. I've never seen an mtb up there and their website doesn't mention it either way.

druidh
    Free Member

You'll be fine on that track (if there's no snow). I've cycled up there and up to the summit. Spoke to one of the rangers at the cafe and she was OK that I was sticking to that track (not that she could legally stop me from going elsewhere). The section up to the Ptarmigan is all landie track – please keep to the centre, NOT the recently planted verges. From the Ptarmigan up is basically a rough cobbled path to within a few metres of the summit. You could drive a tractor up it and do no damage.

Oh -the track from the car park down to Glen More is fun too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

amplebrew – its a contentious area. You have free and open access in Scotland so long as this is "reasonable" which is ill defined but doing no damage would be a part of it. To my mind you should not be on the main plateau above the cafe or on any other part of the mountain except the ski areas and their access roads.

The cairngorm plateau is a very fragile area and an world heritage site.

In my mind the main plateau is one of the few places that there can be no responsible access by bike. However this is a contentious view and not shared by all by any means.

next week might well still be covered in snow.

So the landrover tracks on the ski resort side below the cafe – fair game. Up on the main plateau – ask your self is it responsible access.

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp

jordie
    Free Member

Well going on tonights weather you have no chance

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In my mind the main plateau is one of the few places that there can be no responsible access by bike. However this is a contentious view and not shared by all by any means.

Druidh is one responsible chap whos view is different to mine

I've looked at the 4WD track in the distance from the car park and thought 'that looks steep'. Can it be done in the granny ring?

There's an old 'no cycling' sign at the start but I assume it is pre-reform.

Would be nice to wave at the fenced-in funicular passengers in the summer though.

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

The cairngorm plateau is a very fragile area and an world heritage site.

Which is over-run with walkers most weekends. . . . .

amplebrew

Cool 🙂

Thanks for the info.

I haven't heard of that track to Glen More, I'll have a look on the map.

Last time I was up there, I noticed what looked to be a really good track that led from near to the car park down towards the right as you stand facing Rothiemurchus. It goes past a small area of water on top of one of the hills.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Errrrrr you'll be lucky! Even before the current blizzards, which I'm watching out of the window just now, everywhere above about 450m i.e. halfway up the ski road was covered in several feet of snow! It should have cleared from the valley trails by the time you're up, but as for the higher stuff……. Bring your skis!

amplebrew

I knew that the access laws were different to the UK and Isle Of Man, although I must admit to being ignorant with Scottish laws 😳

AJ
    Free Member

There is NOT a no mountainbiking rule on the hill. there are some very good trails to be ridden (in a responsible manner). I'll argue TJ, that on a bike you do less damage than on foot and i don't think the red sock brigade are gonna give up the Cairngorms

Any hoo Amplebrew come along on the Local ride out (wed night) we meet at Bothy bikes around 6ish

Maybe see you
    Andy

AJ
    Free Member

Oh there is flump load of snow up there at the mo and it's dumping as i type.

amplebrew

aviemoron – I was hoping to do the track that goes from the rear of the Reindeer House on the road that leads from Aviemore to the Cairngorms.

It climbs up to a peak before then dropping down past what looks like a bothy and what I think is called the 'green lagoon' or similar.

One of the mtb mags covered it a few months ago, but cab't recall which one now.

druidh
    Free Member

amplebrew – Member
    Cool

Thanks for the info.

I haven't heard of that track to Glen More, I'll have a look on the map.amplebrew – Member
    Cool

Thanks for the info.

It's not on the 1:50K map. it's a bit of a pain cycling up but a hoot on the way down. If it's covered in snow, best avoid as there are some bigger "stopper" boulders which might be hidden.

Last time I was up there, I noticed what looked to be a really good track that led from near to the car park down towards the right as you stand facing Rothiemurchus. It goes past a small area of water on top of one of the hills.

Probably the one past Lochan Dubh a'Chada towards Rothiemurchus Lodge. AJ should be able to advise on that one….

amplebrew

Any hoo Amplebrew come along on the Local ride out (wed night) we meet at Bothy bikes around 6ish

Maybe see you
    Andy

I'll probably take you up on that 🙂

We arrive on Friday 9th April, so the following Wednesday would be cool, if not freezing!!!!! lol

druidh
    Free Member

amplebrew – Member
    aviemoron – I was hoping to do the track that goes from the rear of the Reindeer House on the road that leads from Aviemore to the Cairngorms.

It climbs up to a peak before then dropping down past what looks like a bothy and what I think is called the 'green lagoon' or similar.

An Lochan Uaine. It turns that colour as the local elves do all their washing in it.

amplebrew

amplebrew – Member
    Cool

Thanks for the info.

I haven't heard of that track to Glen More, I'll have a look on the map.amplebrew – Member
    Cool

Thanks for the info.

It's not on the 1:50K map. it's a bit of a pain cycling up but a hoot on the way down. If it's covered in snow, best avoid as there are some bigger "stopper" boulders which might be hidden.

I appreciate the heads up on that one 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Amplebrew – the access laws are very different – you have no absolute right to ride anywhere offroad – as you do on an English bridleway for example – it is always a qualified right that must be reasonable – however the access apply almost everywhere – have a read of the link I posted.

The upshot is that on the whole people are co operative and reasonable from all sides. I have hardly ever had any conflict with walkers – cyclists are accepted as legitimate users of the hills and cyclist tend to be careful to be reasonable not to damage the trails and not to upset folk

amplebrew

amplebrew – Member

An Lochan Uaine. It turns that colour as the local elves do all their washing in it.

I was sat having lunch down there the other year, when a couple of Deer meandered over for a drink. Made the day to be honest 🙂

AJ
    Free Member

Fairies actually

amplebrew

TandemJeremy – Thanks for that link, I'll have a good look through it.

amplebrew

daveatextremistsdotcouk – Member
    I've looked at the 4WD track in the distance from the car park and thought 'that looks steep'. Can it be done in the granny ring?

There's an old 'no cycling' sign at the start but I assume it is pre-reform.

Would be nice to wave at the fenced-in funicular passengers in the summer though.

I've walked it quite a few times and never even noticed that 'no-cycling' sign 😳

I walked to the top last year with my two dogs and had a stop at the top for a bit, putting their leads down on a rock. It was a fantastic day with gorgeous weather.

After chilling out for 30 mins, I decided to walk back down and upon arriving in the car park I went to put the dogs back on their leads.

It was at this point that I realised I'd left their leads on the top 😳

It was a bit of a drag having to walk back up again 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

AJ – Member
    Fairies actually

An Sidhichean if you're going to get pedantic! 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms’ is closed to new replies.