Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cairngorms riding conditions / Lairig Ghru
  • scruff9252

What are the current riding conditions like in the Cairngorms? I’m heading up to Aviemore for the weekend next weekend. I was considering heading up a day earlier than the group and riding over from Braemar on the Lairig Ghru.

I know there is precious little snow at present, but would the lairig Ghru be ridable this early in the season?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lairig ghru is never ridable.

Unless scruff is Danny macaskill

scotroutes

The Lairig Ghru is never rideable.

Not much snow, though we had a little overnight – down to LG levels. That’ll soon disappear this week due to temperatures.

Ground isn’t too wet either as no snow means little thaw and the high winds we’ve had are drying it off.

River levels low

scruff9252

Definitely not Danny – far more a wheels on ground bumbler. I thought I had read a ride report on it saying it was rideable. Must have been confusing it with something else (or perhaps I was thinking of the running race).

Got a 30ish mile loop you’d recommend from Aviemore that’d be rideable this week? Bonus points if it can include a bothy

Thanks.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Head to Aviemore from Braemar via Glen Geldie and Feshie? Given lack of snow and plenty of wind the ground should be firm enough.

poah
    Free Member

few videos on youtube showing the decent on bikes. Not sure how far they go up though.

scotroutes

few videos on youtube showing the decent on bikes. Not sure how far they go up though.

Yeah – the rides you’ll be seeing are only the very lower section of the approach path, from the Rothiemurchus Lodge track down. The actual Lairig Ghru is much higher and far too rocky to be ridden.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2014/06/twa-lairigs.html

A suggested loop would be to set out of Aviemore on the Burma Road and ride down to the Dulnain. Turn left for a couple of km and you’ll find a bothy. Follow the Dulnain back downstream to Carrbridge (optional nice singletrack), Boat of Garten then the Speyside Way to Nethy Bridge (good cafe). Then Forest Lodge to Ryvoan (another bothy) and back via Loch Morlich, Loch an Eilean etc.   All pretty easy riding but views and scenery abound.

There are options to get down to Ruigh Aitchechan bothy on Glen Feshie that would let you aim for that as an overnight stay. Head down the Speyside Way to Kincraig, past the Uath Lochans to Feshie. On the return trip, come over Feshie Moor and past Loch Gamhna.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The thing about sick edits on YouTube is very rarely do they show the shit bits.

poah
    Free Member

The thing about sick edits on YouTube is very rarely do they show the shit bits.

not seen my vids then ha ha ha ha

Yeah – the rides you’ll be seeing are only the very lower section of the approach path, from the Rothiemurchus Lodge track down. The actual Lairig Ghru is much higher and far too rocky to be ridden

still looks a decent ride though not a loop. Nice wee read that blog BTW

Spin
    Free Member

A slightly more pleasant route from Braemar to Aviemore would be Glen Derry to the Lairig an Laoigh then round the side of Bynack Mor. Still quite a bit of hike a bike but not so much of the boulder field of despair.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hang on

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Soz, easiest way to find my posting history.
    https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chalamain-gap-family-cycle-good-or-bad/

This thread raves about part of the Lairig Ghru. “Part” is the key word. Even on the short stretch we did the shit unmade bits were shit. I guess the further up the path you go the longer and shitter they get. 40km of bad bits might be grim.

scotroutes

That was one of the best posts of last year.

maddyutah

Last bit of Lairig guru joined from path at rothiemurches lodge is a good blast.doing from Braemar better on foot unless you like carrying your bike.
    Glen Derry or glen fleshie if you want to go braemar to aviemore

scruff9252

Right, so I’ve been looking at creating a loop and looking for a sense check.

Leave Aviemore to boat of Garten,
    Head east round Loch Garten,
    East through Abernethy Forrest
    South through Ryovan pass
    round Loch Morlich
    At west end of Loch Morlich head south through Rothiemurchas forrest to Loch an Eilien
    then back to Aviemore via Invedruie.

Does this sound like a rideable route at this time of year?

Thanks

oldbloke
    Free Member

Wise alternative to Lairig Ghru. Run past the Pools of Dee many times and mostly been glad not to have a bike.

from Loch an Eilean, head along the road to Milton Cottage and take the track past Lochan Mor as a slightly more pleasant way back to Inverdruie.

If you want more miles in your legs, from Loch an eilean, you could head south on the east side of Loch Gamhna past Jack drake Bothy. When you hit the fire road after than you can turn right and head for the road, or, if you take I think the 2nd right, a bit fire road of carry (heading just below the fire road and through a wall) can drop you back to a path from the deer farm gate which rejoins the Loch an Eilean path.

iainc

Scruff, that’s a great route and lovely bits of trail. If it’s dry adding Loch Gamhna is worthwhile as lovely trail round the Loch..

scruff9252

Jack drake bothy sounds interesting, I was planning on bivvying around Loch an Eilein.

Is the bothy open?

Spin
    Free Member

As bothies go it’s not particularly nice. Just a wooden hut, if you get the weather a bivvy will be nicer.

scotroutes

Does this sound like a rideable route at this time of year?

Absolutely. We ride those trails all winter. I’ve been over most of that route in the past week. It’s all fine. Soils up here dry pretty rapidly so (other than the Loch Gamhna bit) it’ll all be pretty firm.

Drakes Bothy last weekend.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RrCFW6]DSC_0230[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

The SSW from Aviemore to Boat is currently being resurfaced at one part but should be finished by next weekend.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms riding conditions / Lairig Ghru’ is closed to new replies.