Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cairngorms – Must do bits?
  • richpips
    Free Member

We're planning a 5ish day biking/camping trip to the Cairngorms early next year. I've walked and climbed there, but not ridden there.

Suggestions for must do bits much appreciated?

Ta Rich

druidh
    Free Member

Lairig Ghru from Rothiemurchus Lodge down to Inverdruie

Inverdruie to Loch Einich and back

Loch an Eilean, Loch Gamnha and over the wee track, past the bothy to Inshriach

devs
    Free Member

Nowt to do here. Have you considered Wrexham?

PaulMc
    Free Member

Hi Rich,

Second the bottom of the Lairig Ghru. It is a superb bit of singletrack and makes a nice pre-breakfast ride from the Glenmore campsite at Loch Morlich. So good I did it several times when we were up there in May.

Paul

AlasdairMc

The singlespeed world champs course at Badaguish is worth a shot, it's a short course but really really good fun.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – and pop in to Bothy Bikes for local info and trail maps.

2tyred

Carn Ban Mor

As above, Lairig Ghru descent back to Rothiemurchus is ace (but popular with walkers)

The bits of the SXC course at Badaguish you can find and put together

Descent off Bynack More towards Glenmore Lodge

Inshriach forest

Forests around Nethybridge and Boat of Garten

(these are just the bits around Aviemore – the Cairngorms is huuuge)

I rode stuartie_c's Lochnagar loop last week, from Braemar, would be a great ride in decent conditions. Bit of an ordeal in the dark last week!

iainc

Burma rd is also ace on a nice day

Sanny
    Free Member

Mealle a Buchaille descent to Ryvoan Bothy.

The old DH course in Alvie Estate.

The singletrack descent off the Burma Road.

Riding along the high tops of Carn Ban Mhor and the surrounding mountains.

Has anyone gone up onto and descended from Braeriach down to the Lairig Ghru? I've heard good things but never done it. Also heard there is some good stuff arond the ski area.

Loch Garten is well worth a scoot around with an easy climb back over An Slugain.

Cheers

Sanny

Cheers

Sanny

trail_rat
    Free Member

invermark – mount keen – down to aboyne then over the fungle back to invermark

most of what druidh said and the badaguish circuit for sure !

13thfloormonk

Ahh… Alvie, such a good course even downhill racers were happy to push up it…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I'd second Sanny's view on the Burmah Road singletrack and Alvie estate doonhills.

Remember the bridge at the top of the Feshie has gone.

We should try and organise an STW ride around the Inshriach Forest, there are miles of great natural trails up there.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

13thfloormonk.

Its possible to combine it with the Burmah Road singletrack descent. When you hit the fence at the bottom, next to the burn. Turn right along the fence line for maybe half a mile and you cross another burn, then you pick up the land rover track up to the mast. Its a short push up to the cairn from there. The descent is fantastic. Did it last week.

kennyp
    Free Member

There's lovely singletrack at the head of Glen Feshie. Loads of other stuff too. One bit I personally love is through the Eag Mhor gap.

If you like huge rocky descents, and don't mind a fair bit of pushing, the Lairig an Laoigh is great. We biked through there a few weeks ago.

And the singletrack in the gorge in upper Glen Tilt scares me stupid.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Burma road is dull but Sanny's suggestions of the DH off it is excellent though. Really great technical singletrack descent.

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Remember the bridge at the top of the Feshie has gone.

Oops. Which one – the really scary decrepit wide wooden one with the "die at your peril" signs, or the really scary narrow scaffold one over the gorge on the tributary?

trail_rat
    Free Member

kenny P i kno how you feel about that gorge ST in glen tilt !

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

jennh – the decrepit wide one is gone. The narrow scaffold one – I think you mean the one over the River Eidart up near the top of Glen Feshie and Glen Geldie? – is still there. Can't see that one falling down anytime soon!

richpips – I second all the above. A couple of good long days out can be had as well:

Tomintoul – Glen Avon – Up over Bynack More – Ryvoan Bothy – Glen Brown – Tomintoul.

Glenmore – Bynack More – Lairig an Laoigh – Glen Derry – Glen Geldie – Glen Feshie – Glenmore.

Both are big days out but fantastic rides.

dub
    Free Member

How snowy do the Cairngorms/Spey valley in January? I knows there's some good singletrack on the hills but will it be ridable?

Where abouts is the Alvie track?

btw I recommend some of the singletracks leading off Creag Dhubh in Innhriach Forest. – http://omaps.worldofo.com/index.php?id=599

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Dub, The Alvie estate is just off the A9 north of Kincriag. The descent ends at the saw mill. It would be a tougish push to the cairn to go up the downhill. On the OS map you can see a zig zag land rover track that takes you up to the mast. Its a short push up to the cairn from tere. Its better to combine it with the Burmah Road climb and singletrack downhill which leads you to that land rover track as described above. I cant find my specs just now to give you more details from the map.

dub
    Free Member

cheers McM

I meant Inshriach Forest^^^

devs
    Free Member

We should try and organise an STW ride around the Inshriach Forest, there are miles of great natural trails up there.

Rode there again yesterday. It was great. I'd be up for a group ride there.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Try and avoid getting lost – like we did, not too clever. 🙂

doug_basqueMTB.com

Was there not talk of a STW ride around that area in the Christmas break? I don't think that there was much interest at that time of the year though.

richpips
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms – Must do bits?’ is closed to new replies.