Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cairngorms end of November, conditions?
  • paulo123
    Free Member

Got a week off next week, first in months, and want to spend it out on the bike. Having never been before, what are the conditions like in the Cairngorms in November? Is snow likely and this trip is best left till summer, or is it worth a bash? Open to other suggestions in UK if anyones got ideas…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

its scotland – if yo can predict more than 48 hrs ahead you are doing well.

I have been on the mountains in November in deep snow and whiteout and also in warm sunshine

Likely to be wet tho

its certainly worth going however make good and bad weather plans

BoardinBob

Could be -20 or +20 degrees.

The joy of Scottish weather

footflaps

You don’t normally get much snow in the Cairngorms till just before Xmas (that’s from climbing up there every Xmas / NY from ’94 to ’07). In the end I gave up winter climbing in Scotland as the conditions were getting worse (thinner and milder) each year.

stevomcd
    Free Member

footflaps – just in time then to miss out on the best few seasons….ever?

bigjim

footflaps – just in time then to miss out on the best few seasons….ever?

😆

we had 40cm of snow or something in Edinburgh last November nevermind the cairngorms, although there was acutally a bit more down here than at my folks in Inverness at the time.

There will always be something to do in Aviemore whatever the weather, though just because there is snow doesn’t mean the skiing is available earlier on in the season.

bigjim

Actually there will be no snow this winter as I have just bought snow tyres 😉

HeatherBash
    Free Member

LOL @ Stevomcd

Footflaps post is a little misleading – the Gorms had 18″ drifts on them down to 2000ft at the beginning of October. We often get early snow in Oct and Nov only to see it vanish again a few weeks later.

If you plan to be up in the big hills come winter then here’s what you need:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,103471,page=127

footflaps

Yep, I’ve heard that the last couple of years were better, but the general trend has been milder and milder, you just have to look at photos in guide books from the 60s & 70s to see what proper winters were like…

7hz
    Free Member

Bare in mind that we loose 2 hours of daylight this month, from the start to the end:

http://uk.weather.com/climate/sunRiseSunSet-Aviemore-UKXX0166

Just over 7 hours of daylight at the end of November. Along with the light going, temperatures drop. It’s ok if you are prepared for it, but not that conducive to long days out IMHO.

fergal
    Free Member

Where do you live, if you are looking for great riding, try the Quantock alps,a better climate this time of year and imho the riding is superior. If you like armoured manmade trails with a trail center feel aviemore is hard to beat :D.

rugbydick

bigjim – Member
    Actually there will be no snow this winter as I have just bought snow tyres

Ha! Me too. Definitely no snow.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This was taken near the end of my road on December 1st last year. 600ft above sea level, just across the Forth from Edinburgh.

glenh
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    Yep, I’ve heard that the last couple of years were better, but the general trend has been milder and milder, you just have to look at photos in guide books from the 60s & 70s to see what proper winters were like…

There was loads of stuff in condition the last couple of years that hasn’t been since the 80s.

The main problem I’ve had the last 2 winters is too much snow 🙂

duir
    Free Member

Just spent the day riding near Braemar. Not a hint of any snow even on the tops but very muddy and wet!

paulo123
    Free Member

Cheers for the info all, I guess i’ve just gotta chance it if i go. Fergal – live in Cumbria, fancy trying somewhere other than the lakes for hols. Is there a weeks worth riding in Quantock Alps? Otherwise i’ll head north and keep the hiking boots in reserve…

fergal
    Free Member

Seriously there is some proper good riding in the SW and i live oop north, worth considering, Exmoor, Dartmoor, Quantocks all very close to each other, easily a weeks riding…do some detective work.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms end of November, conditions?’ is closed to new replies.