• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by P20.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cairngorm Outer Loop Begining of August
  • P20

It was my best mates 50th earlier this year and I promised him some adventure instead of the usual beer, kit, etc present. The plan is to do the outer Cairngorm loop starting at Braemar heading clockwise over 3-4 days. I’m heading up from Yorkshire and picking him up in Northumberland with the plan of having food in Braemar (probably chippy) before heading out that evening. Pitch somewhere along between White Bridge/Bynack Lodge/Glen Tilt. Breakfast in Blair Atholl. After that Dalnacardoch lodge, Glen Tromie, Feshie Bridge, Avimore, Abernethy Forest, Tomintoul, Glen Builg, Braemar. We’ll see how we are going in terms of where we pitch.

Any advice/tips?

P20

I’ve found two versions of the route. The first was the planned Glen Tilt, the 2nd goes to Fealar lodge and down to Daldhu. Any benefit between the two?

happybiker
    Free Member

I’m doing it at the end of August with my dad (who is only 70 but just did a 550km ride through BC followed by a 4 day canoe trip), never ridden there, praying it’s midge free…

whitestone
    Free Member

The Fealar Lodge loop is part of the Cairngorms Loop ITT and is a bit of hike-a-bike to get between Glen Tilt and Fealar Lodge. Glen Tilt’s just a nice blast 🙂

P20

The Fealar Lodge loop is part of the Cairngorms Loop ITT and is a bit of hike-a-bike to get between Glen Tilt and Fealar Lodge. Glen Tilt’s just a nice blast 🙂

Excellent. That’s the kind of advice I was looking for. Thank you

whitestone
    Free Member

The only bit of the outer loop (of the Cairngorms Loop ITT) I’ve not done is the bit between Aviemore and Tomintoul, it was rather wet last September on the ITT group start and I got an email to say that the Burn of Brown was impassable.

I’m not sure of the route that the traditional loop takes but from Feshie Bridge I’d head through Rothiemurchus Forest to Glenmore (cafes) and out past Ryvoan to Abernethy Forest. The ITT outer loop goes from FB to Aviemore and the forest by road so a bit boring. Scotroutes should be able to help you in that area.

scotroutes

Bob has it. Don’t go through Rothiemurchus Deer Farm and past Loch Pityoulish. Head up to Glenmore and Ryvoan, then go past Forest Lodge to pick up the track to Dorback. That way, you avoid the puddle (now lake) of certain doom.

Alternatively, take the Speyside Way out of Aviemore to Boat of Garten and then to Nethy Bridge and Forest Lodge. It’s longer but gives some contrasting scenery.

The route from Forest Lodge to Tomintoul has two small river crossings (Faeshallach and Dorback) then the multiple crossings at Burn of Brown.

P20

Thanks. I’ll draw up the map and post it up here to confirm.

loving the description of the the puddle of certain doom!!

P20

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/route/2286138/cairngorm-tour

That should link to what I’ve plotted up.

redmex
    Free Member

The midges will eat you day and night if its calm and humid, then if its sunny and warm the giant clegs this year will have a feast, blood will be visible although they rest a wee bit when tired YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

whitestone
    Free Member

@p20 looks about right to me.

Note that when descending back to Deeside the turning at around point(km?) 98 isn’t obvious – the track you are on is much bigger. I only noticed I’d missed it when at the bottom of the hill! Even if you do miss it the big track just loops round to the same point.

scotroutes

Head up to Glenmore and Ryvoan, then go past Forest Lodge to pick up the track to Dorback.

Like I said……

P20

@redmex. I’m well familiar with the midges, though it’s been a good few years since I’ve encountered the cleggs. I’d forgot about them. Smidge, mossie headnet and tent instead of bivvy.

@whitestone
    . I’ll have a look at that

@scotroutes
    . We did the track in reverse last year and debated about going up to forest lodge last time but stuck with the crossing. Will take your advice, cheers

metalheart
    Free Member

At the moment it’s **** clegs you have to watch out for. Bastards are biting like, well, bastards. I was pitched at sronphadruig a week past (bottom of glen tromie) and they were out. Not as bad as the road to isles climb to Corrour Lodge on Saturday though.. was surprised to get out alive…

metalheart
    Free Member

If ScotRoutes route is the one we did back in May then it’s definitely better than the lake of doom. 🤣

P20

Unfortunately for me I’m like sacrificial protection for those around me! They really do love me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorm Outer Loop Begining of August’ is closed to new replies.