Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cairngorm Conditions
  • andrew277
    Free Member

I’m heading up to scotland at the weekend to have a crack at the Ben Alder Circuit & probably Carn Ban Mor

Guessing there is allot on snow around at the moment looking at the Cairngorm webcam!
    Could anyone advise if these routes would be a goer? or would we be better of staying lower down?
    Thanks

Stu661
    Free Member

Ben Alder should be fine, only goes up to 800m so you might find some snow on the last big climb. I did it in January so I can’t see it having more snow than then.

druidh
    Free Member

Stu661 – Member
    Ben Alder should be fine, only goes up to 800m

😯

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Alder

Elevation 1,148 m (3,766 ft)

It would be cheating not to go to the top 😛

swavis

It was like this on Sunday 8)

Cairngorm_012 by GavinBelton, on Flickr
    Carn Ban Mor is behind Braeriach in the background

A couple more

Cairngorm_010 by GavinBelton, on Flickr

Cairngorm_022 by GavinBelton, on Flickr

More forecast this weekend too. I think staying low will be your only option, plenty of good stuff about though.

Stu661
    Free Member

I didn’t mean the Munro was 800m I was talking about the Ben Alder loop climbs to around 800m at it’s highest point.
    I’m well aware how high Munros are thanks Druidh!!!!

druidh
    Free Member

😛

Waderider
    Free Member

“I did it in January so I can’t see it having more snow than then”

It has to be said, this could only have been typed by the sort of person whose advice should not be heeded. Mind you, what do you expect from an internet forum.

grahamt1980

Bloody hell, sod all snow up there in march, and I have to see pics like that at the end of april.

Dammit!!!!!!

swavis

I know tell me about it, I had to go and get the boards out the loft again 😉

Vader
    Free Member

Both those routes were under snow on monday when I drove up the A9 and the MWIS outlook is for snow and hail showers above 750m through the weekend. Snow line is pretty defined though so lower level routes likely to be clear

footflaps

Check out Glenmore Lodges FB page – daily updates on the conditions there…

https://www.facebook.com/GlenmoreLodge

theblackmount
    Free Member

>I’m well aware how high Munros are thanks Druidh!!!!<

Aye but you clearly haven’t been up many of them ;-)Your weather advice has to be one of the worst throw away lines I’ve read on here (and that’s saying something)

Here’s the planning forecast for the ‘gorms from tomorrow:

“Cold air from the Arctic will gradually envelop all mountain areas from the north on Friday and persist well into next
    week. Generally, showers, of snow and hail, the snow to a low level in Scotland, will become widespread most
    afternoons.
    Forecast issued at 07:16 Wednesday”

Sanny
    Free Member

Chill guys!

So quick to criticise. I did laugh at Stu’s remark but the fact that there is so much snow this time of year is a bit unusual to say the least!

For going up high, your best bet is the west. Some of the peaks are still plastered such as Ben More whereras others are virtually clear such as Ben Lomond. The Ring of Steall looked like it was clearing quickly when I was up that way on Sunday (the middle peaks still having a fair covering near the summits).

The Devil’s and Ciaran Path were completely free of any snow and riding brilliantly. Of course, the wall to wall blue skies and sunshine helped!

Cheers

Sanny

druidh
    Free Member

Ben Alder from Ben Lawers today

P1040064 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

proteus
    Free Member

So quick to criticise.
    It’s an incredibly daft thing to say, think he got off lightly…

I did laugh at Stu’s remark but the fact that there is so much snow this time of year is a bit unusual to say the least!
    Late snow not that unusual. Few more years riding on the bigger hills and you’ll see.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Snow on bikes by Pimpmaster Jazz, on Flickr

Our attempt at the Cainrgorms loop in April a few years ago..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorm Conditions’ is closed to new replies.