Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Caffeine
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Ran out of teabags on Saturday, bought some new ones. Noticed Monday morning that they were Decaffeinated! Taste alright so, rather then throw them away, I’ve decided to give them a try. Usually dink 3-4 mugs of tea a day so I don’t load up on the stuff like some people with coffee, never really given it a thought to be honest. Two days in and I’m already noticing an effect:

Finding it easier to get to sleep.
    Sleeping for longer uninterrupted.
    Sight dull headache yesterday (Monday) but that went as soon as I got out on the bike. Got it again today but it’s not too bad.
    Seemed to ride better yesterday too, not faster or with more skill just more consistently.
    I don’t have an urge to make a brew the second I get up or get in from being out.

I know a few on here have weaned themselves off coffee, or at least reduced their intake, so is there anything I should look out for? Sudden cravings etc? I have one normal teabag left just in case but would using that reset the caffeine-craving bit of my brain?

Yak

I went from about 5 coffees per day to 1. No real cravings, just feel better. Makes me appreciate that 1 morning coffee more too.
    No interest in giving it up completely – one seems fine to me.

Ben_H

I’ve known for some years that I feel “better” after giving-up caffeine, or at least a daily big hit of coffee.

I usually stop when on holidays, although slip back into a daily routine of one or two coffees early in the morning and then tea through the working day.

I do enjoy a really nice coffee, but more than two a day makes me feel a bit odd.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Just spent 3 hours driving from Dorking to Pangbourne. Traffic hell. At journey’s end so now in cafe having eaten huge fry up and on second extra shot latte. Oh the healthy lifestyle….

chakaping
    Free Member

I have one cup of proper tea in the morning, decaf the rest of the day.

Might give the caffeine up entirely when the kids have left home.

Cougar

I’ve “stoptobered” caffeine, I was drinking so much it was giving me the the shakes. Bought some Kenco decaf as the stuff we have at work, and there’s some Yorkshire Tea decaf teabags here which (given my misgivings about Yorkshire Tea generally) is surprisingly drinkable.

Hadn’t really stopped to take stock of the difference, but my jitters are getting better and I think I’m sleeping better. First couple of days though I thought I was going to fall asleep at my desk in the afternoons.

Dickyboy

Definitely sleep better when on decaf tea

Stainypants

I gave up at New year was on a forest holiday and bought decaff coffee and cola, forgot I’d done it but felt like death for 2 days then realized why (i drank a lot of caffine).

I’ve stuck with it and only drink it before big running races, where it has a massive effect on me.

If you travel to Northern Europe, take some with you I take decaff Milicano, places like Sweden think your mental to drink decaff. It’s harder than giving up alcohol.

I’m much calmer I can sit down for longer at my desk.

Nick

dmorts

Reduced my intake to one aeropress’d coffee a day, in the morning. Gradually reduced the number of caffeinated drinks I was having to get to this level. As I’m drinking so little it justifies buying decent coffee beans too.

Was on 2 coffees in the morning and 2 cups of tea in the afternoon. Doesn’t sound much but found out yesterday that the ‘small’ coffees they serve at work are actually double shot! Would often have shakes by lunch

Weaning off, rather than stopping immediately, reduced the headaches I’ve had previously. I’m now sleeping a lot better and feel fitter than before. This might be due to better sleep or being better hydrated or both.

Sometimes get a craving for a second cup but this doesn’t last long.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I drink a lot of coffee. One of the first things I do in the morning is turn on the machine. Probs 2 coffees before I even leave for work. Perhaps 3 or 4 at work. One when I get in. Sometimes one before I go to bed. Not sure I could cut down, it would be very hard.

SaxonRider

I drink a lot of coffee, as it helps me avoid eating. I have never really noticed any bad effects from it, other than getting a periodic sour stomach.

I don’t think I have ever had problems sleeping.

Is that normal? Or am I just deceiving myself?

colournoise

Was never huge on coffee or tea, but used to have a triple espresso every morning then hammer the Pepsi Max during the day (maybe 3 cans a day).

Three years ago quit caffeine entirely. Didn’t have one headache or dopey feeling day and almost immediately was sleeping better and feeling more alert during the day thanks to that.

Still have a coffee every morning, but it’s decaff (Has Bean do a real nice one).

milky1980
    Free Member

I am noticing I’m a lot more relaxed and calm, not that I flew off the handle before! Fits in with some of the stories above, will continue with the decaf tea for a while I think.

Grabbed a can of Coke earlier, checked the caffeine in it 😯 Glass of water instead.

mattbee

I have one cup of proper coffee in the morning, then decaf tea the rest of the day. Find I sleep much better than I used to and I don’t get the mid afternoon slump I used to get too. I use Yorkshire decaf, which is a pretty good tea taste imo

P-Jay
    Free Member

Caffeine is frankly awesome, love the stuff. My chosen medium is diet cola, probably too much of it.

I’m wired to the point I can smell colours from 9:30 to about 17:00 most days, I sleep like a log every night.

allan23
    Free Member

I’ve done it recently, mostly the during the day work drinks and evening drinks.

Two or three day headache was horrible, but same things of sleeping better and feeling less tired during the day.

Unexpected benefit (unexpected by me anyway) was how much better my blood pressure is.

Not noticed any cravings or problems.

milky1980
    Free Member

Well, just over 5 days in and I’m feeling so much better all-round!

Sleeping through the night where I used to wake once or twice before.
    Much more alert and with-it on my morning commute.
    Energy levels are more stable throughout the day.
    Generally calmer and harder to make me raise my voice.
    Less tendency to snack on stuff between meals too.

Think I’ll stick with it when the current supply of decaf teabags run out 😀

weeksy

OK, i’m in too.

Although as i was up at 5am and the village shop doesn’t open until 7.30 i did have 2 proper coffees first. But i’ve now got some Kenco decaff which should last me a week or 2.

weeksy

3 days in of just decaff, I can’t say its as easy in some ways, I’m not craving it as such, but I’m feeling a bit flat and snoozy. Which may in itself tell us a few things. Hmm.

So, we’ll keep going and see what today brings.

silverneedle
    Free Member

This might give you more reason to continue. Saw a study recently saying that in general people who drink no caffeine tend to have faster reaction times than people who do drink it (and have it working in their system at the time) Caffeine drinkers reaction times without caffeine in their system is way down.

singletrackmind

Caffeinated gels and full fat cola seem to have a greater effect if you are running into a brick wall whilst out on the bike though.
    I try to limit the amount of carbs and caffeine i consume after luchtime.
    Sleep is pretty much instant once the lights go off , and I seem to sleep abit deeper too.
    Did a month without caffeine and booze before one of my sdw attempts and found it easier to retain fitness and build on it, did require alot of willpower though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t necessarily miss the caffeine hit. Apart form when at work when I’d struggle to get past 10am without a decent coffee, just couldn’t knuckle down after the morning meetings or couldn’t fire on all cylinders in them.

But the headaches! If I accidentally go without then by mid afternoon it’s like being punched by Tyson.

Tempted to swap the teabags at home as the OH drinks nothing but tea all day, then isn’t tired till gone midnight and fidgets all night.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Caffeine’ is closed to new replies.