Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cafes in Edinburgh
  • poolman
    Free Member

Just booked a few days up there over Christmas and looking for recommendations for good independent cafes. I avoid the chains so anything in the residential areas nearby as I will have my Brompton and staying in the centre Good cakes, decent coffee, breakfast type places.

Any local advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just another if I may, any ideas for places to cycle to up to say 5 miles from centre on tarmac, preferably cycle lanes. Flattish it’s a Brompton.

SaxonRider

The Word of Mouth Bistro Café on Albert Street in Leith (just off Leith Walk) is fantastic. When I was travelling up there regularly, it became my local hang-out.

EDIT: There is even a cycle shop on Leith Walk just a few metres down.

poolman
    Free Member

Brilliant thanks, noted

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwpaddler
    Free Member

Café Truva has outlets on the royal mile, in Leith and I think they’ve opened another near the grass market.

Wellington coffee on George St is also nice.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Cycling – try the union canal from Lochrin Basin in Tollcross. About 5 miles gets you to the edge of the city.

Or get on the cycle paths near Murrayfield that are old raised railway lines. You can get down to Silverknowes promenade which is a huge big way bit of tarmac that follows the coast. Good pub at the end at Cramond. Nice beers and roasts etc.

Cafe-wise…. I like Kilimanjiro which is on Nicolson Street near the University. Good breakfasts. There are a few ones called Peters Yard or Soderberg which are Swedish I think? SOurdough pizza is nice.

Also the Pine Tree Bakery in Tollcross is great, but more takeaway I think

Lovecrumbs (also near tollcross) does good cake

rickmeister

Is Earthy in Cannonmills still going ?

joshvegas
    Free Member

The Pantry in Stockbridge
    Leos Beanery in stock bridge
    Ronde in stockbridge (also a high end bike shop)
    Love crumbs off the grass market
    As above Earthy
    Blue bear in canonmills

Brompton along any of the old railways in north edinburgh will get you too many places with a nice journey.

You can get to the bridges too.

ehrob

piece box in polwarth

gauss1777
    Free Member

Every other building in Edinburgh is a cafe. Many are excellent, however I’d second the recommendations of Peters Yard or Soderberg as their cakes and buns are to die for. They are (particularly Peters Yard) well situated, near the Meadows/ university. A few good bike shops nearby and the start of the canal which is a pleasant flat cycle, although busy at the usual times.
    ‘Coffee lovers Edinburgh’ is a website with ratings for independent cafes, that would keep you going for a long time.

poolman
    Free Member

Thanks very much, canals and cafes, old railways. 2 days sorted.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Recommendations in here http://edinburghcoffeelovers.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

And this app (Apple version may be available??) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.blackcompanystudios.edinburghcoffeelovers

Both tend to be pretty reliable. Edinburgh has an excellent coffee scene for even the most snobbish discerning of coffee drinkers.

imnotverygood

Colpamia in Roseburn. Lovely Italian man who makes his own delicious cakes/pastries. Coffee ok
    Fantastic coffee in Gamma Transport in Stockbridge (Primarily a bike workshop)
    Milk in Leith (Sculpture Workshop on the North Edinburgh Cyclepath)

honeybadgerx

Piece box on Polworth for really good ham and eggs Benedict, plus various other tasty things.

onehundredthidiot

More cafes than you can shake a stuck at but a map.might help.

http://www.spokes.org.uk/

coogan
    Free Member

Best place in Edinburgh as far as I’m concerned is Di Giorgios. Best egg benedict I’ve had in Edinburgh, superb smoothies and fabulous coffee. Everyone I’ve taken there loves the place. Highly recommended.

Website being built, but gives you the address: http://digiorgios.co.uk

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Another vote for Piece box

dmck16
    Free Member

Some useful reviews on here: Eatinburgh

Not exactly a cafe so slightly off topic, but The Pitt Market should still be on every Saturday, that’s probably worth a stop – decent variety and quality there.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

For a bit of balance, I have found Piece Box distinctly average every time I’ve been in.

Sandwich

Cynic-Al is the man for cafe reviews in the city.

13thfloormonk

Best place in Edinburgh as far as I’m concerned is Di Giorgios. Best egg benedict I’ve had in Edinburgh, superb smoothies and fabulous coffee. Everyone I’ve taken there loves the place. Highly recommended.

Beat me to it, we’re there ever other weekend, the French toast with bacon and maple syrup is fantastic, amazing how they can do such a staple dish so much better than anywhere else, even the bacon seems better than I’ve had elsewhere. Total fanboi here.

That said, Smokestack just up the road on Broughton Street does a fantastic Huevos Rancheros, think a sort of breakfast mexican on a really tasty pancake batter waffle. Mmmmm….

Di Giorgio’s wins for proximity to bike shops though, you’ve got the wee EBC just up the road, Alpine Bikes and Ronde just slightly further away and also the funky wee independent one at the other end of Stockbridge, I forget the name of it 😳

zinaru
    Free Member

Spoon on Nicholson Street is great!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cafes in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.