Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cadair Idris
  • goatster
    Free Member

Been seeing a lot of mention of the above lately. Been there to climb a few times and always gone up from the back (non sea side) the way with the sign for the lad that died after doing the race up and down, Been a while and can’t remember much about it…

What’s the best way to make a ride of it? Looking for a descent comparable to the Rangers on Snowdon.

T

boltonjon

Happy to send a GPX from my last ride up Cadair??

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

There’s only one legal way up and way down. Some of the track is been repaired at the moment but it’s still rideable.

goatster
    Free Member

Jon, don’t have GPX, looking on the map it’s prob the way I’ve been up before for the main.

rocketman
    Free Member

What’s the best way to make a ride of it?

Down the valley from Abergynolwyn, turn right at the road and follow the bridleway past the farm onto open hillside towards Cadair

Make your way left and upwards towards the ridge on the skyline, then follow it towards the summit where it picks up the Pony (?) Path.

To descend retrace your route or hike/bike down the Minfford path toward the dip above the lake then bale out down the hillside to the right (not the left!)

boltonjon

I followed this route clock-wise – it was very tough with well over 5,000 ft of climbing over 40 miles

[/url] Cadiar Map by boltonjon, on Flickr[/img]

rocketman
    Free Member

‘kin hell that’s a cracker 😯 🙂

The route I suggested joins your route at approx 27-28

goatster
    Free Member

Looks like a big day out! Need to get my maps out…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

So, if you’ve climbed there then you might know the Cyfrwy Arete and the Table direct route…..well, you dont ride up that way!

The legal way up and down is more rideable up than Snowdon but not as technical down as the Ranger Path. But, it’s much quieter and the weather is often better.

Apparently, if you like a techfest, then the Minfordd footpath certainly has some interest, very cheey mind.

BTW – if there is another decent in England or Wales like the Rangers Path, then I’d be interested to know about it?

Houns

As above there’s a lot of loose rock on the path (I walked up there about 6 weeks ago)

rocketman
    Free Member

I would not recommend the Minffordd Path unless you want to carry your bike to the top and back down again 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rode snowdon and cadir today….my legs hurt.

Clink

Rode snowdon and cadir today….my legs hurt.

😯

RobHilton
    Free Member

not as technical down as the Ranger Path

Aside from the very top bit that most sane people wouldn’t even bother to try dragging their bike up.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZD-dulL1U[/video]

It’s pretty good, but I wouldn’t do it again unless it’d been dry for a while.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Wasn’t that wet tbh apart from one mudfest bit lower down. After a 4am start there was quite a lot of pushing going on though!
    Sometimes I have really bad ideas….then actually follow them through. Decided on riding snowdon at 11pm last night. Decided to do cadir aswell halfway down telegraph valley.

boltonjon

Good work today Rorschach – thats pretty awesome – makes me very jealous

I rode up & down Snowdon twice in one day last November – the weather gods were very kind and its one of the best days on a bike i’ve ever had

Seeing the sunset at the top followed by a DH in the dark was pretty special to say the least!!

Rorschach
    Free Member

It helps that I only live an hour away…..and have no life.Last time I rode snowdon there was some nutjob seeing how many times they could summit in 24 hours-RUNNING.

rhid

I have just come back from riding Cadair Idris for the first time today. It was great, went up from the Llanfihangel end. The climb was long but the descent was worth it. I would not want to do that and Snowdon in 1 day!

dti
    djflexure

Walked that top section recently – thought at the time that someone would have ridden it. As is often the case the video gives a flavour does not do it full justice. Bit more than I could tackle, but there again it was wet, might look better dry? Nice.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

That Dan Atherton video is one of my favourite mtb clips.

My attempts from a trip there with Swindon MB club. Brilliant ride. couldn’t tell you the route we did though. I just followed the guy in front and then ignored the shouts of “don’t bother taking your bike up there, you can’t ride back down anyway”

snowpaul
    Free Member

I love cadair idris – as said above there is only 1 legal way up and down – Please dont poach the footpath – the last 2 times i have been up there we got lectured and moaned at by members of the mach mtn rescue team and the rangers – a proper full on whinge in the shelter at the top about people riding the footpath and getting hurt / scaring walkers – i have hiked / run that trail and yes it would be a hard but good descent but please dont ( def not in theday or the weekend ) – we as a mtb community dont want any more voluntary bans being imposed by the welsh assembly !

the top section is really really naughty and that vid is awesome…

paul

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cadair Idris’ is closed to new replies.