• This topic has 37 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by aide.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • cack handedness, i mean ambidextrousness
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

who else is like this?:

writing – LH
    boxing stance – RH
    haymaker – RH
    racquet sports – RH
    snooker/pool – LH
    fine work/arts n crafts – LH
    w*** – LH
    surfing/skateboarding – orthodox
    MTB – left foot forward
    guitar – RH
    golf – RH
    brush teeth – LH
    drumming – LH
    football – RF is stronger
    gun – RH

despite the above I consider myself left handed cos of the writing, even though my right hand is ‘stronger’

hmmmmm

geuben
    Free Member

Very similar, Writing = LH, Snooker/Pool = LH, everything else is RH. For fine hand work task that aren’t directly related to writing (e.g soldering, woodworking) I switch to whichever hand is in a better position.

Given how little writing I do these days it seems a bit odd to class myself as left handed.

longdog
    Free Member

Im left-handed but apparently confused too!

Box, kick etc orthodox, right foot forward on the bike or board.

Throw, rackets, shoot right handed, but knife, carve, axe, hammer, saw, drink, left handed.

Brush teeth and shave left handed. Wipe backside right handed.

stevextc
    Free Member

writing – LH (bit of both.. I was right handed up to 5 then switched whilst I had a broken collarbone… still use my RH for writing though if something is on the right…

boxing stance – RH (ambidextrous, I switch southpaw to normal)
    haymaker – RH

racquet sports – RH (RH cos I was forced to choose one of the other)

snooker/pool – LH (switch depending on the room/shot)

fine work/arts n crafts – LH (no preference except scissors where I use my right because that’s what scissors are designed for)

w*** – LH (sit on either)

surfing/skateboarding – orthodox (either depends on a surfboard on wave/beach and which side of the board I’m on) probably a preference now due to my right shoulder dislocating easier

MTB – left foot forward (try not to think)

guitar – RH (taught right handed and sod restringing)

golf – RH (used my dads RH clubs) don’t actually play and haven’t picked a golf club up in decades?

brush teeth – LH (LH for right side and RH for left side)

drumming – LH (NA)
    football – RF is stronger (NA)
    gun – RH same as camera .. based on eye dominance

Mouse = RH as that is where they usually are on other people’s PC’s and also convenient to use my left for writing at the same time as right for the mouse

Tools .. either.. completely depends of the space or what side I happen to be on.

despite the above I consider myself left handed cos of the writing, even though my right hand is ‘stronger’

I don’t know why you’d want to consider yourself either … classification is what other people do.
    When I’m asked (which is rarely) I usually say “whatever”… or whichever the vein is best today…

fingerbang
    Free Member

ahhhh , that’s where we differ, I wipe my arse left handed. I think this is worth a bit of academic research deffo

fingerbang
    Free Member

I don’t drum either, but I’d work the hi hat with my left and hit the snare with my right which i understand is left handed. Pretty rare to see – as rare as left handed golfers

porter_jamie

writing – LH
    boxing stance – LH
    racquet sports – LH
    snooker/pool – LH
    fine work/arts n crafts – LH, RH scissors obviously
    w*** – LH
    surfing/skateboarding – no idea
    MTB – left foot forward
    guitar – RH, probably because the first one i picked up was RH
    golf – RH
    brush teeth – LH
    drumming – LH.i tried for years to play drums and just couldnt do it. thought there was something wrong with me, and then one day i sat behind a lh kit and i could do it.
    football – who cares
    gun – RH, however im left eye dominant so probably would do better LH
    eating RH. again proably because thats how it was laid out for me. i use my LH for fork / spoon for pudding, i find it mildly amusing when RH people swap the fork over from RH to left depending on wether they are using a knife.
    knife (not eating) ie opening boxes or whatever – either or
    welding LH
    mouse – RH, i absolutely cannot use my left. strange. even for FPS games you would think i might be better LH.

kelron
    Free Member

Yeah. Left hand for writing and my left hand is stronger but I just use whichever for most things. Right handed at computer but it didn’t take long to get comfortable with the mouse on the left when I tried.

peteza
    Free Member

I think of myself as left handed but if I’m honest I do a lot of stuff with my right arm and I suspect it’s stronger.

writing – LH
    boxing stance – LH
    haymaker – LH
    racquet sports – LH – used to be right, then I used to switch so I never hit anything backhand, dunno why, now left.
    snooker/pool – LH
    w*** – LH
    surfing/skateboarding – LH
    MTB – used to be left forward, then hurt my back and had to ride switch, now happy with either
    guitar – RH
    golf – LH, although I’m so bad I don’t imagine I could possibly be any worse if I switched.
    brush teeth – LH
    drumming – no idea
    gun – LH
    mouse – RH cos that’s what I’m used to but I sometimes swap for the hell of it.
    Tools – if it’s ‘big’ tools, LH. If it’s working on a bike, whichever is closest to the tool/better positioned. Often RH weirdly.
    Throwing – weirdly, LH if it’s underarm, either if it’s darts, RH if it’s overarm. Bowl RH.

I figure most cack handed people get taught to do a lot of stuff right handed when they’re young, so either end up using the ‘wrong’ hand or a bit ambidetrous. I tie my shoelaces ‘right handed’ and I remember it taking forever to learn and my younger (right handed) sister could do it before me, presumably because it wasn’t ‘natural’ for me. I bet everyone on this thread can write relatively well with their right hand, compared to most right handers using their left.

nickc

who else is like this?:

Answer: Nearly everyone. There are very few truly ambidextrous people (i.e. with the same fine motor skills for both hands) and there are very few people who are exclusively left or right. handed.

woody2000

Anything that requires a bit of dexterity (writing included) – LH.  Brute strength – RH.  Kicking broadly the same – accuracy = LF, power = RF

dyna-ti

Apparently left handers live longer, are better looking and get more girls.

johndoh
    Free Member

By niece used to (she had it beaten out of her by teachers by the end of primary school) write with her left hand on the left side of a book then switch to her right hand for right hand pages. He writing was pretty much identical on both sides too.

Me – I am right handed, lead with my right hand for everything but kick with my left foot and am goofy for skateboarding/snowboarding/surfing etc.

woody2000

Apparently left handers live longer, are better looking and get more girls.

You could be on to something there, I haven’t died yet 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Who else… Yup

writing – LH
    boxing stance – RH
    haymaker – RH
    racquet sports – RH
    Snooker/pool – RH
    w*** – RH (ambi)(or both 😀 )
    snowboarding/skateboarding – goofy
    MTB – right foot forward
    guitar – RH
    football – RH (more accurate with L)

Eyes – RH stronger
    Computer mouse RH
    iPad operation – RH, unless with stylus/pen, then LH

All the right-hand stuff, I completely average at. Left hand stuff pretty good. But nothing brilliant. :S

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yeah, and after my last bike crash, landing on and **** up, my right shoulder, my left arm is now stronger for the first time in my life. But my left hand is useless at getting stubborn tyres off, cos I’ve always done it with my right… very frustrating.

Cougar

Nope. I’m left-dominant. Left-handed, left-eyed, left-footed. I do very very few things right-handed rather from learned behaviour. Snooker / pool is about the only thing I can think of. I tried to relearn a while back and now I’m truly ambidextrous at it, I’m equally shit either way around (ambisinistrous?)

I figure most cack handed people get taught to do a lot of stuff right handed when they’re young, so either end up using the ‘wrong’ hand or a bit ambidetrous.

There’s an element of this for sure, and also availability of kit. I shoot a bow right-handed for the sole reason that when I learned it was the only bow available and when I finally got access to an ambidextrous practice bow I struggled to relearn. If I were to pick up a guitar (OK, let’s be honest, most likely a Rock Band guitar) it’d be right-handed, but I’d air-guitar lefty.

aide

Writing – LH

Boxing stance – LH

Haymaker – LH

Racquet sports – LH

Guitar – RH

Skateboard – goofy

Snowboard – duckfooted

Football – RF

MTB – mostly LF forward

Mouse – RH

Throwing – LH

Scissors – RH (didn’t know l/h scissors was even a thing till a few years ago)

Snooker – LH

Brush teeth – LH

Wipe backside – LH

Fork in LH, knife in RH

yetidave
    Free Member

writing – LH
    Pool/Snooker – LH
    Football – neither, but if i had to choose, RH
    cricket, RH bowling, LH batting, LH catching if one handed
    MTB – Right foot forward
    Mouse in right hand
    writing on chalk board, RH occasionally LH
    racket sports, tennis was always two handed, badminton LH but occasionally RH

I think the stuff i taught myself i am LH, the stuff i was “coached” in i was RH. Writing, i was told to use my RH but i was rubbish so decided to use LH. However my french teacher did see me writing with my LH one day and exclaimed to the class, oh thats why your written french is so bad, cause your Left handed!! No its cause she was a rubbish teacher.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Me? Everything is regular.
    My mates mum was totally wider. If she left the dining table you could swap the knife and fork and she wouldn’t notice when she came back and just swap in her mind.
    Some days she would just start mirror writing until someone told her what she was doing.
    A weird little woman.

Cougar

I too use a computer mouse right-handed but this is learned rather than natural. The first mouse I ever used was on an Atari ST, it plugged into a port the side of the computer and the cable wasn’t long enough to use over on the left so I had no choice. I’m actually glad about this though, given the career I’ve had and the vast number of other people’s computers I’ve touched, having to swap it over every time would’ve been a complete pain. Plus the keyboard is my primary input so it makes sense to have the supporting role in my off-hand.

eating RH. again proably because thats how it was laid out for me. i use my LH for fork / spoon for pudding, i find it mildly amusing when RH people swap the fork over from RH to left depending on wether they are using a knife.

Oh, yes, this too. I’ve always held that this is one where convention is simply wrong. A table knife is in the supporting role as above, why would you eat with your off-hand? It’s weird. If I tried to use a fork with my right hand I’d have my eye out.

DezB
    Free Member

Answer: Nearly everyone.

Rubbish! Most people are completely right or left dominant, not a mixture.

Cougar

Scissors – RH (didn’t know l/h scissors was even a thing till a few years ago)

I’d forgotten scissors. RH here also, but another learned trait rather than instinctive. Like the mouse I think it’s another thing that as a leftie it’s worth just sucking up and learning wrong-handed just because LH scissors are so rare.

I think a lot of people don’t realise just how -handed a world we live in, there’s constant little things that you’d likely never notice. Like, the pop-out key on my car. A right-hander presses the release button and it swings out nicely. I press it and the blade pops out into my palm.

Another: I have all my cards in my wallet upside-down. Why? If you pull a card out with your right hand and turn to offer it up to a card reader it’s the correct way round for the slot. Now try it using your left.

Nothing earth-shattering I know, but it’s drip… drip… drip…

simon_g

Yep, left handed but do lots right-handed – some just feel easier, some learned for convenience.

I actually broke my thumb when I was 17 (on my MTB), was operated on and ended up with my left elbow to fingertips in a cast. Got pretty competent at writing right-handed after a couple of weeks, and almost up to full speed by the time the cast came off. Can still write ok with my right hand 25 years later for a quick note or something.

Cougar

Oh, shotguns and similar. They’re fun.

There’s some you can use perfectly fine left-handed. And there’s some which will eject a hot shell casing straight into your face.

DezB
    Free Member

I remember a woman coming to my school doing some investigation on lefties – she was surprised when I told her most playing cards were right-handed. The way I fanned them, you just got a white corner

convert

There is one very obvious ‘task’ that has been left off the list.

Like Quagmire I too am left hand ‘dominant’. edit – ahh, that’s what w** stood for….

I think us lefties are far more hand ambivalent than you righties because we live in a righthanders world so we’ve got better at adapting. The computer mouse is a classic example.

I was disappointed when I found out the 90% of architects are left handed statistic was apocryphal – no evidence its a thing. Lefties definitely make better sailors however – not the apparent spatial awareness thing we may or may not have over your righties, but simply having the tiller in your dominant hand going over the start line in dinghies.

johnx2
    Free Member

I’ve somewhat similar wiring:

writing – LH
    boxing stance – RH
    haymaker – RH
    racket sports – RH (but okay LH. I say okay, equally not very good)
    snooker/pool – LH RH
    w*** – LH Woodwork? I use both hands, depends on the tool.
    surfing/skateboarding – orthodox
    MTB – left foot forward
    guitar – RH absolutely: you don’t get left handed keyboards clarinets whatever. See also woodwork above
    golf – RH dunno
    brush teeth – LH
    drumming – LH dunno
    gun – RH same as pool/snooker
    Wipe backside – RH

fingerbang
    Free Member

I put ‘w***’ on the original list!

I wasn’t been entirely truthful as it actually takes two hands but if pushed I’d go lefty

Cougar

w*** – LH Woodwork? I use both hands, depends on the tool.

Somewhat unfortunate (on not depending on your point of view) that these got concatenated onto one line.

oldnick

When I broke my right shoulder I discovered I was ambiw***strous.
    Jus’ thought I’d share.

fingerbang
    Free Member

IHN

fingerbang – ?

dovebiker

I’m predominantly left handed. When I started at school, there was one weird day where my writing was in reverse / mirror image which isn’t uncommon.

I use cutlery, a mouse, throw a frisbee and shoot right-handed.

My first job after leaving university was as an industrial / product designer and my first task was to make myself a left-handed drawing board! I was working in a design office with 5 other designers and we were all left-handed.

I have a pair of left-handed scissors after someone bought them by mistake -I leave them in the drawer to annoy Mrs DB.

singletrackmind

Golf LH
    Shoot LH
    Write RH
    Fish RH
    Footwork wise, nothing in it, rubbish on both

wordnumb
    Free Member

writing – ambi, neither is neat
    MTB – ambi foot forward
    drumming – RH on a LH set up, which winds people up no end
    guitar – RH, can’t play LH
    golf – no
    brush teeth – LH
    scissors – RH
    (staple)gun – ambi

poly
    Free Member

Rubbish! Most people are completely right or left dominant, not a mixture.

As a Lefty I would agree, but there are various things I do “right handed” either because that’s how I’ve been taught or the ergonomics of the thing were designed for right handed use. Scissors are good example of that, as unless you have proper LH scissors most LH people will use them in their RH and muddle on (with 40 years od doing this I’m happier now with RH scissors than LH ones). Good old fashioned powertools with a “lock on” button on the trigger are another example – if you use LH’d you accidentally lock them on so you evolve to use them RH’d.

I blame my lack of ability with musical instruments on them all being RH’d as standard and nothing to do with my attitude to repetitive learning or raw talent!

aide

Think it was a watch where I first noticed that some things are left handed and some things right handed. Was one of those wind up watches and as a boy couldn’t understand why the winder was on the wrong side.

Funnily enough although I eat RHanded (fork in right) and am LHanded my g/f is RHanded but eats LHanded (fork in left) – bloody weirdo

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘cack handedness, i mean ambidextrousness’ is closed to new replies.