Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cable Oilers
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a cable operated dropper which I bought in late November. I have ridden with it a handful of times, cleaned the bike fastidiously after each ride then went away for two weeks for Christmas.

I pulled the bike out of the garage yesterday and the cable is a bit seized. It took a lot of waggling to get it to move in the first place and is very stiff.

I have just put the same post on my other bike and this time covered the inner with grease to see if that helps. If not does anyone have anything good to say about cable Oilers in this situation? And are there any alternatives to the Middleburn ones?

Thanks

scotroutes

That’ll be your problem right there.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I found them to be an unnecessary accoutrement.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mildbore

Clean then spray ends with wd40 before putting away?

scaredypants

I found them to be an unnecessary accoutrement.

I think the superfluous sanitisation is the issue here

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to use Gore cables, then tried middleburn oilers (which I’m not even sure they do anymore) but now just run full length sp41 with stainless inners.

Replace when borked.

scotroutes

I’ve fitted oilers to rear mech cables but mostly so I can replace the loop section occasionally without having to do the whole cable.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Never used it on mine

I find the cable stretches so just put another one in its neither a hard otr time consuming job

I suspect I have some red oilers and gold oilers if any use OP

munrobiker
    Free Member

There are no exposed cable ends to oil,which is the main reason I was looking into these. And replacing a cable once a month on two bikes would get awfully pricey!

I will stick a stainless inner in this time and report back.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have not used them on my dropper cable, but I’m a fan generally. It does appear to make getting some lube into otherwise faffy bits of cable somewhat easier.

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

replacing a cable once a month on two bikes would get awfully pricey!

ebay “ptfe gear cable”, I get mine for about £1.20 each when bought 10x at a time.

If middleburn don’t make cable oilers anymore, then brand-x definitely do/did.

Only problem is you then have to use unsealed cable ends, which let crap/water in, so they to a large extend only solved the problem they created as a full length outer has less points for water to get in). Best bet IME is just SP41, with the proper shimano end caps (which have o-rings in them) and some sort of shield to keep 90% of the crud off it (the long noodle ends work well, or old V-brake accordion thingies.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cable Oilers’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts