• This topic has 37 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • CAAD10 disc -any good?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve seen a good price on a CAAD10 disc and am trying to decide. I rode a CAAD10 with normal brakes a while ago and really enjoyed it but the problem is I don’t NEED a new frame. Talk me into it or out of it or just tell me if you’ve ridden one

Teetosugars
    Free Member

For under £400 at Evans, you can’t go wrong!
    Tempted myself, but by the time you add a groupset & wheels etc, you could get the CAAD12 for only a bit more..

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a disc donor bike already which could donate all of the parts apart from needing a BB adapter.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Eddiethegent

I couldn’t resist and bought one of those CAAD 10 disc frames from Evans. I’ve built it up with SRAM Force, Juan Tech hydro-mech disc brakes and Cosine wheels and it is superb. Agile, fast and comfortable.

I bought it as a poor-weather alternative to my Supersix Evo and while it may be slightly heavier and marginally slower, the frame has a real zing to it and is a lot of fun to ride.

For some reason though it was a bit of a pig to build up. The internal cable routing is a pain, it was a struggle to get rid of the play in the headset, and the bottom bracket….well it’s a BB30.

All in I must have paid £1200. The equivalent Ultegra CAAD 12 (but with full hydraulic brakes) comes in at £2k. Not a killer deal but I’m happy.

cp

Did the frame from Evans come with headset?

Eddiethegent

Yup. Fork, headset, seatpost clamp & front brake hose/cable guide.

woody74

Bloody annoying. I am after a CAAD10 Disc frame. Really excited when I saw the Evans deal, bargain. What size do I need 60cm, what is the only size they don’t have 60cm !!!! Argh Have a Di2 disc groups ready to go on a frame and that would have been perfect.

rossp
    Free Member

I saw these earlier too, look good for the money… sorry for the slight hijack, but does anyone know if you would be able to fit 28mm tyres in/what clearance looks like on 25mm’s? Also would there be any way to squeeze a set of mudguard in?

Eddiethegent

I’ve fitted 25mm GP4000 tyres and there’s plenty of room.

I suspect 28mm tyres and something like Crud Roadracers would also fit.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I am so tempted by that frameset at Evans – if it had proper guard mounts I’d get one and make it my winter bike… such a good price! 😡

vintagewino
    Free Member

I bought mine (full bike) in July and have been riding it non-stop ever since. 28s fit no problem at all. No guards on mine though.

atlaz
    Free Member

How is it to ride?

vintagewino
    Free Member

I love it. Got rid of the stupid inch high conical spacer under the stem and I’m planning to change the stock wheels in the spring (they are pretty weighty) but even stock it’s a pretty sorted bike. The combo of slightly bigger tyres and discs is really confidence-inspiring and suits the often terrible roads around here.

atlaz
    Free Member

Just realised I need a converter as my crankset is GXP not BB30. I see KCNC and Praxis Works each do one. Anyone have any experience with them?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve got a praxis in my cannondale supersix – works great, plenty of others doing the same

Eddiethegent

Have a look at This Thread

Because of the internal cable routing a Praxis or similar converter may not work.

trailhound101

I bought a complete bike in September. Its the one with the SRAM hydraulic brakes. I bought it as a commute/tourer for all weathers (as opposed to the Evo super6). I replaced the OE wheels with Kinesis cross lights and fitted 28mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres, 35mm SKS mudguards and a rack. Took a bit of fettling to get the position just right (shorter stem etc) and now I’m dead pleased with it. Quick but solid enough for the crappy roads, carries all my stuff to work and a few weeks I did a 200km audax without problem.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Vintagewino, what did you replace the conical washer with? I should google it but I’m too lazy. 😉

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Just picked mine up and it looks lovely,it’s the black inc model. Had caad12 on order but impatience and bargain price got the better of me.

atlaz
    Free Member

bigdugsbaws – Any chance of a couple of photos?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Transferred all my bits from 2015 CAAD10 over to new frame and built wheels yesterday. A few hours of riding today and I can safely say, its the training frameset I have been after for a long while. Sprints, handles and looks just like the standard model but has proper braking. As the reviews state, its a bit less forgiving and lacks some of the liveliness of the standard frame but not much. Really well engineered frame, total bargain at current price !! Proper road geometry too unlike the numerous sluggish endurance frames I have tried or purchased inFlickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DF9ie3]2016-02-14_04-05-18[/url] by DOO9Y, on Flickr]null
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/E8fSFv]2016-02-14_04-04-55[/url] by DOO9Y, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/DZ3zbZ]2016-02-14_04-23-11[/url] by DOO9Y, on Flickr

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ooooof.
    That looks lovely!

monkeyboyjc

Im also torn between one of these – or an upgrade to my mtb…. still undicided. It’ll be mid March before I have the cash so i’ll make a decision then.

atlaz
    Free Member

Very nice…. bah. I was hoping I’d look at it and think it was a bit shit.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Caads are ace, I bought mine as a substitute race bike last year whilst awaiting a very lengthy warranty replacement of a TCR. It was equally as good but half the price. This is half the price again, need I say more

cynic-al
    Free Member

trailhound101 – Member
    …fitted 28mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres, 35mm SKS mudguards and a rack

How?

There don’t seem to be any proper mounts, which is a deal breaker here, much I would love to splurge an upgrade to my CAADX winter road bike.

letmetalktomark

@BDB – what size is that dude?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Please stop posting pictures of this gorgeous bargain frame and just let this thread die quietly, thanks 😉

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Mine is a 58cm

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Nice bike!

Have only used non disc but very tempted to buy a disc version.

vintagewino
    Free Member

rollindoughnut – I got one of these http://www.certifiedslammed.com/ from the US. Fits perfectly.

Eddiethegent

Here’s my one. It’s a 54cm. And it’s great!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Many LBS will have some slim/slammed top headset spacer things kicking about from old HS’s.

No responses to my quote above – the frame has no mounts for mg’s correct?

Eddiethegent

Nope, there are no mounts for mud guards.

You could probably put p-clips on the seatstays but the fork would be more difficult – as there is no hole drilled in the crown for a normal road brake attaching anything but Raceblades would be difficult.

cynic-al
    Free Member

370 spon saved, thank you!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I just love chat about aluminium race bikes/frames….there’s always someone who asks about adding mudguards 🙄

atlaz
    Free Member

Accidentally bought one, despite Evans best efforts to hide the bargain by removing it from the website.

atlaz
    Free Member

First ride today. Need to cut the steerer but started with maximum and will work my way down.

The paint is some of the nicest I’ve seen for ages.

Rides well too

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘CAAD10 disc -any good?’ is closed to new replies.