• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by swdan.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • C4 Grand Picasso – No electrical power
  • swdan
    Free Member

I guess the obvious answer is a flat battery but was wondering if there is anything else I should try.

No previous problems with the car (2015 model), drove 120 miles back to my mum’s yesterday evening absolutely fine. Get in the car this morning, central locking unlocks but after that there is no electrical power. All instruments are off (it has a digital dash), start button won’t work, central locking won’t work, absolutely nothing. Had to transfer the kids seats to my mum’s car which was fine for today but we’re supposed to be driving back home tomorrow. I’ve borrowed some jump leads for the morning and we have recovery as an option but just wondering if there is anything else I should check first?

trail_rat
    Free Member

The battery is the first thing to be checked in this case.

Going to assume you don’t have a multimeter ?

rsl1
    Free Member

If you have a multimeter then you can check the voltage across the battery terminals. Then in the morning you can check the alternator is working by checking again with the engine running. It sounds like a dead battery really but to go so suddenly makes it sound like maybe it’s not being charged properly edit – unless you just left the lights on all night

swdan
    Free Member

I don’t think I have access to multi-meter, am fairly sure my Dad didn’t have one and he passed away at the beginning of the year so isn’t around to ask.

I also suspect a battery, that seems the most obvious to me but as you say, am surprised it went so quickly. We’ve not had any issues before.

Suspect I’ll have to try and jump it, get it home and to a garage. Only problem is my wife needs it first thing Monday for work, might just have to suck up trying to track down a battery tomorrow and hope it works

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Welcome to the world of Citroen ownership. I’ve had a grand picasso sitting in the drive for years, battery went flat and I can’t even get in the thing. I tried to trade it in and the guy told me to keep it and he’d give me the money off the car anyway.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

New battery time.

Went skiing this year, got back to the Berlingo at Gatwick on a late winter’s evening. Started fine, drove the 100 or so miles home. Next day was dead as a doornail.

swdan
    Free Member

So, some resolution. I’d resigned myself to a new battery so in the morning went out and lifted the bonnet to double check what battery I needed (I never fully trust the Halfords website). On opening it up I notice that the + connection wasn’t actually connected!, It was half hanging off. As soon as I put it on an pressed the clip down to secure it I could hear all the systems coming to life. Car now works!

Only thing I can think of was we had to jump my sister’s car last time I was back, that was over a month ago. I blame my BiL for lifting the securing clip up and not fastening it again but I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner, we’ve probably driven 500 miles since then.

All good but I’ll be keepingan eye on it to make sure it’s not working itself loose and I’m also kicking myself for not having a look sooner, I just assumed I wouldnt be able to do anything as I don’t know much about cars

trail_rat
    Free Member

Result.

matt_outandabout

Win….

big_scot_nanny

woohoo!

swdan
    Free Member

Indeed, am rather pleased if not a little confused

bensongd
    Free Member

An easy, cheap and successful fix, win. I’d like another c4 grand picasso, really useful family car. Back in an old xsara picasso and it just doesn’t have the space.

drnosh
    Free Member

Has the terminal got a nut/bolt that requires tightening up on the battery post?

drnosh
    Free Member

Has the terminal got a nut/bolt that requires tightening up on the battery post?

Normally an M6 bolt requiring a 10mm spanner.

bensongd
    Free Member

From memory they’re tool free, unclip and push down to lock on the battery post. Awkward to access

timba
    Free Member

QR for a battery; combination of bolt to tension followed by over-centre clamp. Putting a nylon cable tie around the over-centre clamp will hold it

swdan
    Free Member

As per bensongd, I believe they are completely tool free. Just a big red clip you press down on to lock it in place

swdan
    Free Member

Yes, the space is why we have it, we often take a third adult along with my two girls and this allows someone to sit between the girls car seats in relative comfort. We transferred all seats to my Mum’s rav4 at the weekend when this wasn’t working and my wife was rather squashed in the back, a 40 minute journey was pushing the levels of acceptability. In outs we’ve done 5 hours to Wales no problem

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.