Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • C2C in a Day advice …Which Bike???
  • aazlad
    Free Member

I’m after a bit of advice…

I’m riding C2C in a day in a few weeks and am having a dilemma over which bike to use. The route goes over Hardknott and Wrynose passes which are 30% in places. I suspect I will be pushing the steepest bits regardless of the bike.

The options are:

A) Carbon road bike with 12-29 cassette and 28mm tyres;
    B) Steel cross bike with 11-36 cassette and 38mm tyres (file tread panaracer gravel kings);

I commute 25km to work and usually grab the steel cross bike because its comfortable, easy to ride in traffic/rough roads and although notably heavier with wide tyres the speed difference between the two bikes is imperceptible (about 1km/hr average speed difference according to Strava).

So do I go for comfort and easy climbing gears or lightweight and a bit of extra speed?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

the one you enjoy riding the most,

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’d go for the comfiest assuming you’re not trying to set any records. You’ll be glad when you get 7-8 hours into it. The increase in speed sounds nominal.

mrb123
    Free Member

Personally I’d use the carbon bike or you could put the 28mm tyres on the cross bike if you really think you’ll need the easier gears.

The really steep bits of Hardknott and Wrynose are fairly short and you can always push so not worth basing the entire decision on that.

antigee

As dirtyrider said

only 1km/hr difference ? So it’s not worth putting some different tyres or wheelset on the steel bike?
    Not done c2c in 1day couple of times in 2days and missed out Wrynose and Hardknott not sure what save by including tough climbs early on? Possibly a day I guess enjoy

hardtailonly

Never done it, so have no real-world advice. But, as someone who probably will do it at some point … here’s some stuff to think about …

Gearing – I’d rule out those two climbs from being the determining factor; the key issue is what gearing can you cope with on an uppy/downy route for 12-15 hours over 150 miles. You might be ok with a 29t easiest gear for 60 miles, but an all dayer might be something else?

Speed – Might only be 1km/h difference on your 25km route, but factor in weight and rolling resistance, and increased climbing, over 150 miles, and the difference is likely to be greater. If it’s 2kmh difference, that could easily be an hour or more off your total riding time.

Comfort, which bike is most comfortable / less fatiguing for a long day out? If it rains, does either bike run (or able to run) mudguards?

I’d take the carbon bike.

Or maybe the steel bike …

TomB

I did that route on a normal road bike with 34 front/28 rear on the event day. There are several steep ramps in the last 25 miles, and you are in the saddle for c12 hours so need to be comfy. I’m no racing snake, but do live in the lakes and was training on the appropriate hills! Managed all without pushing in the day.

butcher

If you want to do it fast, take the fast bike. If you want to do it comfortably, take the comfortable one.

Despite the weight, climbing hardknott is likely to be harder on the fast one. As has been said already, I wouldn’t worry too much about that climb, but think about what you want to ride 150 miles on.

edhornby

carbon – the 38mm file treads will be draggy and overkill by the end of the day, you will be glad of whatever weight you can shed. if you can get a bigger cassette on the carbon bike, do it.

cp

Whatever bike you use the most if there’s a significant difference in your usage. If that’s the steel cross bike then consider changing tyres.

jkomo

Steel bike plus some Vitoria voyager hyper from PX.

joat

It’s not Hardknot and wrynose you’ll be worrying about, it’s the ups and downs in the Yorkshire Moors that’ll finish you off. Seriously though, someone did it on an Orange fat-bike when I did it, I don’t think he died. Just try and finish before midnight – the poor organisers were waiting for stragglers when we were walking back from the pubs having finished about 9 hours earlier.

aazlad
    Free Member

Thanks Guys.

I did the inaugural Wales in a Day back in 2015 so I know what to expect in terms of the distance (that was 200 miles). My main concern is Hardknott/Wrynose but if I go in expecing I’ll be walking parts of it on whichever bike I use then I wont be disappointed.

Hoping for a nice breeze from the west!

antigee

didn’t realise when posted above that it is an event on a route rather than having choice on route looked at map on event website – that is direct! map doesn’t give total climb metres from what i could see – go on scare me / convince me to train

butcher

If the only concern is Hardknott, I personally would take the heavier bike with lower gearing, Unless I was planning on sprinting up it. And I wouldn’t be planning on sprinting up it on a 150 mile ride. As long as you can turn the pedals you’re good. The worst thing about Hardknott is there’s a good bit of climbing before you even hit the ‘steep’ bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘C2C in a Day advice …Which Bike???’ is closed to new replies.