Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • c25k…. how hard is this..
  • totalshell

no 1 daughter is a decent runner.. so foolishly i said i ll run a fell race with her this year ( Burnsall classic) its august bank holiday..

i m fat 50 but can comfortably ride my bike.. blimey what a shock. been doing run a minute walk minute and a half this week ( 1st week) and i m close to a coronary.. i maght have to do it over 18 weeks not 9!

damo2576
    Free Member

It’s very easy. If it’s not easy to start with walk a bit more than it tells you.
    Key to starting running is going slow. Walk-Jog-repeat.

scotroutes

I hadn’t run since High School and started going out running with the Mrs. I found 5k a dawdle and can’t understand what the fuss is about. Best advice I could give would be to start off slow.

Oh – 54 here……

Bregante

Keep going OP. I am by no means, a natural runners build. Mid 40’s, 6”1, 15st 10 with dodgy knees. I’ve been slowly building up the mileage each week since just before christmas and so far this week I’ve done 30 miles (9 miles is my furthest yet which I did this morning).

seavers
    Free Member

You might be ‘bike fit’ and you might have a good level of cardio fitness but running is surely going to use different muscles?! I can only speak from the perspective of biking loads then going to the gym thinking the running machine will be fine. Thing is it takes me (38) a couple of weeks before I can manage 5k without my legs hurting.

Build up, intervals etc. Give yourself some time to rest in between work outs.

stever
    Free Member

Is it a c2vertical5k program? You’ll need it for Burnsall 🙂
    Seriously get some climbs under your belt when you get your running legs going. Enjoy, fell is a great scene.

piemonster

i said i ll run a fell race

And

i m fat 50

You’ll fit right in 🙂

Seriously, just rock up. Have a laugh, suffer for a bit, then grab a pint and continue having a laugh.

There are some damned slow runners in fell races, it’s not something to worry about. Just turn up and have a crack.

But FFS carry the required kit 👿

piemonster

Btw, what’s this c25k business

I read that as circa 25k, which from your OP suggests you would die.

funkmasterp

You’ll be fine.

I just did a 10k assault course last month with no training at all. I expected to die or not finish, but did it in an hour. With running, the first 15 to 20 minutes is the worst. Once your aerobic system kicks in you’ll zone out and find it easier. Use lots of energy gels, those things are life savers.

The only downside is that you might have t ‘bum shuffle’ down all stairs for two days afterwards 🙂

Best of luck to you and as others have said….enjoy!

scotroutes

Couch
    2 (to)
    Kilometres

piemonster

Does Burnsall even make it to 5k?

piemonster
    piemonster

2.4km 274m

Short intense pain, good lord that’s short.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘c25k…. how hard is this..’ is closed to new replies.