Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • “Bye room”
  • Jakester
    Free Member

I have just come off a video call with a large number of participants, and as the host signed off, instead of immediately mashing the ‘leave’ button, a lot of the other attendees said “bye room”.

I mean, I know things are tough out there, but can we stamp this new behaviour out now please?

The only correct way to leave a video conference is to end it as abruptly as possible, ideally while someone is still speaking.

Or better still, use one of these:

https://hackaday.com/2020/12/28/a-pull-chain-to-end-your-zoom-pain/

Just – stop it, now, please.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Urgh that’s worse than “have a good rest of your day”

p7eaven
    Free Member

The more impersonal and abrupt we can make things the better. Business is business not a faux ‘West-Coast feely-fest’. One of the upsides of Covid is surely less personal-interaction. This will also hopefully mean less US-speak as per above cringing examples. Bit of a paradox though, as increased virtuality/internet has resulted in increased US-speak outside of the US. When you’ve heard (Leeds accent) ‘Can I get a battered Mars bar with those fries?’ then you know something is afoot.

To be fair most such jobs could be filled by AI these days. And teleconferences could be attended by avatars just for the theatre of it. If they must.

/end.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well business is business but it is still done person to person. Relationships are fundamentally important and business is won and lost every day no the strength of relationships no matter how good the accountants spreadsheet looks. Though I’m not advocating “Bye room” which just sounds a bit cheesy and naff, I still think it is fundamentally important to nurture relationships with colleagues, clients and customers even if they are the type of person you might not have anything to do with outside of work. That will do nothing but help you out in what it is you’re trying to achieve which is ultimately good for the business overall.

You spend more time at work and interacting with work colleagues than any of your family or friends so is only beneficial to have a cordial and enjoyable relationship with them and make the process of work or business as fun and sociable as possible. Otherwise life becomes very miserable very quickly.

One of or work internal ‘well being’ surveys has a question “do you have a best friend at work” and it is a strange question indeed but studies have shown that business where the employees are also friends to some extent perform better and the mental wellbeing of their employees is also better, so this stuff is science and not just fluff. People who have high ’emotional intelligence’, or EQ, are more successful, more successful than those which high IQ. You can be intelligent but so what. Plenty of thick people are successful and plenty of intelligent people are broke holding down crap jobs.

Bye thread…

oldtennisshoes

johndrummer
    Free Member

Goodnight John-boy
    Goodnight Elizabeth
    Etc

Damn, beaten to it

Sandwich

Can I get a battered Mars bar with those fries?

That chippy wasn’t in Leeds was it? Fries? Chips in chip shops, fries in a fast-food outlets/America.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

p7eaven
    Free Member

The more impersonal and abrupt we can make things the better. Business is business not a faux ‘West-Coast feely-fest’. One of the upsides of Covid is surely less personal-interaction.

You must be a riot at parties.

That chippy wasn’t in Leeds was it? Fries? Chips in chip shops, fries in a fast-food outlets/America.

Also, what was a Weegie doing in Leeds?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Also, what was a Weegie doing in Leeds?

Obviously not a Weegie.

A Weegie would’ve asked for a Mars Bar supper.

p7eaven
    Free Member

You must be a riot at parties.

#keepsatireonline
    #satireisdead
    #haveliterallyriotedatparties

Cougar
    FB-ATB

I thought this was something to do with Dignitas.

funkmasterp

I like to hang around and just stare in to the screen in complete silence. Makes the last few attendees feel really uncomfortable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘“Bye room”’ is closed to new replies.