• This topic has 33 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Bye bye mudguards???
  • sirromj

Getting to that time where I’m itching to get rid of them off the rigid commuter. Front is a bit rattly as the stay has detached from it. This time last year there was no need to remove them as it hadn’t been wet enough to prompt me to fit them.

Taken yours off yet?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Mine will stay on all year. I’ll just put that bike away and ride a different one in the sunshine.

CheesybeanZ

Mud guards off , dust shields on .

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Mine stay on year round.

Because it rains year round.

kcr
    Free Member

Just rebuilt the commuter and fitted new guards to replace the old broken ones. Looking good for dry commuting!

weeksy

only fitted mine for 1 ride… Removed straight after it.

thepurist

Not yet, but soon. It may rain all year round but in the winter my commute roads are covered in a slime of mud, grit and manure so just getting rained on is fine.

epicyclo

I’m just in the process of putting mudguards on my road bike.

Mudguards are a well known rain preventative. 🙂

benp1

Commuter mudguards year round, same for the brompton.

The other 2 MTBs tend to have them on for the majority of the year, although I sometimes take them off if I think the weather will hold out

tomhoward

Never bother with them anyway. Embrace the conditions.

kayla1
    Free Member

Dunno, I’m kind of attached to the ugly little bleeders now.

hooli

I normally take one for the team and ride around with mudguards and Bonty Mud X tyres until mid June. It is well known that when I get rid of them, autumn and the non stop rain starts.

mikeys

I went for it 10 days ago because I was cleaning the mtb I commute on. 2 days later it was probably the wettest commute in I’ve had this year. I’d forgotten how horrible it is without mud guards. Especially the face full of water you get. The little face fenders do a good job and mine will be going back on very soon.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a road bike with full guards all year round, as mentioned above it does rain in every month of the year.

Or do you live in Southern California?

DezB
    Free Member

Taken yours off yet?

Yes! I stripped the bike down and cleaned it over the weekend. Put the summer wheels on, left the mudguards off and haven’t regretted it yet. I’ve got summer mudguards too, the cheapo plastic type that just slot on, so I’ll go with them from now. I flippin hate mudguards. Ugly little bastewards.

philjunior
    Free Member

Er, nope. Mudguards are a year round requirement here. Never taken them off for summer wherever I’ve lived (however have had mudguard free bikes)

sirromj

That’s it then, they’re coming off this evening. Yay! Time to restore my hooligan reputation!

I went for it 10 days ago because I was cleaning the mtb I commute on. 2 days later it was probably the wettest commute in I’ve had this year.

Yep had that, it’s why I’ve been putting it off.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The Mudhugger came off the back yesterday.

I live in hope.

medoramas
    Free Member

I removed the Mudhugger and downtube Crud Catcher yesterday.

It’s raining now, FFS…

grannyjone
    Free Member

Front and rear mudguards are still on. Is next week time to remove them ? Dry trails to return at last and stay that way until the end of Oct ?

IdleJon

We had a sunny day here on Saturday. Grey on Sunday and it started raining as I finished riding last night. Today is very wet.

I should put some mudguards on.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I ride with them all year round, but it’s rare for me to miss a ride due to bad weather (like I can count the occasions on one hand in the last year)

cookeaa

Took them off the road bike a couple of weeks ago, MTB keeps fork fender on all year round, Commuter (fixie) has full guards all year too…

sirromj

I’ve only had one (4 mile) commute since where mudguards would have been appreciated.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Front mudguard is off the full sus and I fit my Minion SS. Just been to the Wyre Forest and done 20 miles and didn’t regret it once!!

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Nope.Commuter guards stay on all year. Get caught every summer and I hate the dirty black stripe down my ar*e and bag from the road!

MTB guards are coming off though – yhey 🙂 About time!

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, sunny now until October. Enjoy!!

13thfloormonk

The guards I had bodged onto the summer road bike finally failed, so I’ll wait a month or two to replace them. Sure it will rain between now and then, but I’ll only get a bit wet, rather than wet + cold + bike covered in salt.

Have the commuter with guards still for the truly atrocious days, although it’s currently off the road having the mudguards de-rattled…

Ben_H

My MTB doesn’t wear mudguards, but both my road bikes do all year round.

I only discovered full mudguards in my 30s and wish I’d done so much earlier!

medoramas
    Free Member

Front Mudhugger on all year round – I took it off for a while a week ago (it was very dry and dusty) but then I realise how much stuff it stops from getting into your eyes, so put it back on.

The rear one is off, but for the occasional rainy commute/ride in the Summer time I bought the 29er version of Crud’s RacePac – currently half price on Wiggle. Very easy to fit and remove when needed. I put it on this morning.

hardtailonly

Mudguards on the Hack all year round now … Before, it was my only #dirtydropbargoodness bike so hadn’t fitted mudguards for the past couple of years; now I’ve got the Pickenflick I can use that when I want to take the muddy/dusty way in!

Just a fork fender on both MTBs and a down tube fender on the SS HT … It’s light and innocuous and being slender steel tubing, any mud (which we do still get through the summer) flings off the wheels, past the downtube and into my eyes without it. Never really bother with a rear mudguard on the MTB.

aide

Been thinking about this myself recently. Bike has a crudcatcher and homemade front mudguard on all year but think the rear mudhugger needs to come off now, ( expect rain this weekend now)

Kahurangi

Commuter always has mudguards on, why on earth do I want to arrive at work in wet kit if I can possibly avoid it?

MTB has at the very least a Marsh Guard, though I’m probably going to leave the Mudhugger/Rock Guardz on til August as it’s so effective and not massively ugly.

DezB
    Free Member

Er, since last posted, not had the guards on and haven’t got wet at all. Little puddle splash on the legs maybe.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Bye bye mudguards???’ is closed to new replies.