Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 263 total)
  • B&W photography on film, who else enjoys it?
  • zokes
    Free Member

Christ, the world will end – Me and Fred agree!

Now quickly post something Laandan-centric then we can go back to our old ways 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So why get involved?

I like photography, do I need more reasons ? I just thought it was funny that someone should mention the way and image appears in a dish as somehow more magical than it appearing on a screen 🙂 If you care more about how the image was created than its content then I call it fetishism.

zokes
    Free Member

I like photography taking mediocre pictures of bottoms

Fixed it for you 😉

Real photographers tend to use limited DoF to take much better pictures of bottoms, just they’re not that suitable to post here…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Christ, the world will end – Me and Fred agree!

😆

Now quickly post something Laandan-centric then we can go back to our old ways

Erm, hold on…

Oh yeah: London is the best place if you want to learn about photography. More galleries, exhibitions, courses, etc.

That ok? 😉

ski
    Free Member

pjt201, the A11 flashes also let the XA series down, because of common faults with that flash. Nice quality lens though on the XA.

Zokes – that 3rd photograph is fantastic, love the llttle one sucking her thumb 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Real photographers tend to use limited DoF to take much better pictures of bottoms, just they’re not that suitable to post here…

😆

Now you’re making me laugh, Zokes.

This can’t continue. 😯

Smuzzy
    Free Member

I know this should be in the classifieds, but I guess this is a more appropriate audience. I Have everything needed for a darkroom, Meopta colour enlarger (will do B&W fine) timers, trays, the job lot. The chemicals probably need replacing as its 10 years old. Anyone interested in having a whirl

Mail in profile

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I like photography taking mediocre pictures of bottoms

were that the case I’d not be commenting on non-bottom oriented photography..

CaptJon
    Free Member

I did GCSE photography pre-digital cameras. I used to love the process of taking the picture (and making sure you had everything right because you’d only have 24 shots), putting the film onto the spool in a dark bag, getting the temperature of the chemicals correct, then using an enlarger to print your work.

Magic.

GrahamS

😀 I knew sfb couldn’t resist this thread for long.

I do share his issue with this statement tho:

Nothing more pleasing than whatching the image appear in front of your eyes.
    Its what Photography is all about

Surely photography is all about capturing images?

I understand that some enjoy the whole chemical darkroom experience. And I’m sure it is somewhat magical seeing an image emerge from a blank sheet. Good on yer – sounds like a pretty relaxing craft.
    But I don’t think digital should be considered a lesser form just because the digital darkroom involves shuffling bits instead of inhaling chemicals.

Aside from that: carry on.

zokes
    Free Member

Oh yeah: London is the best place if you want to learn about photography. More galleries, exhibitions, courses, etc.

That ok?

You’re a bugger and no mistake – can’t argue there either. Although it’s pretty crap if you want to take photos of hills though 😉

Another interesting thread could be photography and Father Ted. Note how the foreshortening effect of a telephoto lens makes reconciling this old puzzler all the more difficult…

This cow is very small; that cow is far away. by shufgy, on Flickr

GrahamS

Zokes: would have been obvious with a shallow DOF 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Surely photography is all about capturing images?

and that was the substance of my comment!
    BTW, if photographic excellence needs to be demonstrated before one is entitled to comment on the subject, how is this to be done ? Might one perhaps list one’s awards in the field ?
    a very mediocre award, obviously 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Simon; in fairness, you award was for MTBing photography. You won because more people felt your photographs captured the activity, not because they were stunning images. I think your award was more to do with your tireless dedication to produce images of MTBing and your contribution to the activity, than whether or not you’re a fantastically gifted tographer. I think it’s fair to say that there were others, who are perhaps more talented than yourself, when it comes to photography as a whole.

So don’t let it swell your head. I’ve won an award for my photography, out of a far, far greater number of candidates. Doesn’t make me better than others, necessarily, or that my opinion is somehow more valid.

a very mediocre award, obviously

I think it is, yes. In the big scheme of things. I don’t think it’s an award that reflects a particular talent or ability, more a recognition of effort.

Sorry to slap you down like this, but I think some of your comments are ill-founded, and based on your own obtuse nature, rather than being particularly well-informed and knowledgeable about photography as an art.

The title of this thread is “B&W photography on film, who else enjoys it? ” Apparently several people.

So why come on belittling their enjoyment of something, just because you don’t share their point of view?

It’s a bit like me saying ‘all your rides are crap, because I chose not to do them’.

Your award’s made of plastic. Mine is made of Bronze. So there.

stumpy01

Apart from a double art lesson when we had to process some film of pics we’d taken ourself, I have no experience of developing film photographs.

I imagine the experience you mention of watching a photograph develop in front of your eyes must be quite appealing. Kinda like watching a cake you’ve made rise through the window of the oven….?

It is strange how old methods that perhaps don’t compare with modern methods in terms technical advancement have more of a ‘touchy-feely’ appeal and create a bigger emotion. I used to love buying an album on 12″ (or a 7″ single for that matter), getting it home, sticking it on the record player and hearing those first few pops & scratches just before the first song played. Then it was a case of taking time to look at the cover & the inner sleeve while the record was playing.

While I don’t think that film developing will ever be something I’ll do as it’s something I never did before and so I don’t ‘get it’, I can see how it holds appeal.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It’s a bit like me saying ‘all your rides are crap, because I chose not to do them’.

well, I’m sure they are 🙂

But I’m not saying alchemy is crap, only that in some cases, the fetish comes to supplant the original purpose. Most people don’t care how you get from the scene to the image.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

not because they were stunning images

of course not, but many (particularly you) seem to think one is only entitled to an opinion if one can produce exceptional work, so my award, such as it is, it a convenient talisman to tease the culprits of discrimination:)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Jesus wept.

stevemakin

B&W photography on film, who else enjoys it?

yes, I used to immensely, everything from 35mm through to 11 x 14 plates, selenium toning, home made chemicals, hand made platinum papers, hand made frames and mounts, everything to get images on a wall.

For 20 years it was everything to me

and now I use a digital SLR, and it pains me to say that I can recreate anything that I could in the darkroom in about 1% of the time it used to take me

still got about 200 rolls of TriX to develop 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Nostalgia is a bigger generator of bullsh*t than almost anything else.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jesus wept

Had he also stumbled upon an STW photography thread? 🙂

many (particularly you) seem to think one is only entitled to an opinion if one can produce exceptional work, so my award, such as it is, it a convenient talisman to tease the culprits of discrimination:)

Where did anyone say that? That’s just your paranoia, Barnes. Next you’ll be claiming Nurse has stolen your camera…

No, what I’m getting at, is your constant desire to rubbish the views and opinions (and sometimes accepted conventions) of photography, without proving your point in any effective manner. If, for example, you regularly produced stunning images which proved photographic conventions wrong, then fair enough. But you don’t. You talk a big game, but you don’t produce the carcass.

Too often, you just bang on with your ‘I’m SimonFBarnes, award-winning photographer with a Nikon D300B (Special Bottom Edition) and everything I say is gospel’. Well, it’s not. When challenged, you invariably resort to some elegantly-phrased yet cryptic statement, to try and make yourself look clever.

I enjoy the darkroom process; I feel it helps me to feel more a part of the whole process; more is under my control. I don’t have that same feeling with digital photography. It ultimately possibly has little to do with the actual finished product, maybe, but it’s enjoyable nonetheless.

Just because you have no fricking soul, doesn’t mean others are wrong. The whole point of this thread is ‘who enjoys B+W film photography and it’s associated processes?’ If you don’t ‘get it’, why not enquire what it is that people get out of the process, rather than just dismissing it as ‘alchemical fetishism‘? Eh?

Someone commented that:

That photography thread the other day was going fine until you stepped in, then it just got ridiculous.

To which you replied:

whereas this one just started ridiculous ?

Explain why this thread is ‘ridiculous’, please? Go on. Personally, I saw the title and thought ‘ooh, a thread about B+W film photography, how interesting!’.

Instead, I’m now so upset I’m going to lock myself in a darkened room, and have a good cry. 😥

Happy now??

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No you have, you’ve ruined it Barnes.

Joe

whereas this one just started ridiculous ?

So why get involved? Ah yes, that’s why, to post your second, much more useful comment instead to go “look at me, look at me, I’ve got a D300 with an amazing lens for mediocre pictures of arses”.

HAHA! Spot on. Barnes – your pictures are appalling mate. Pipe down.

ski
    Free Member

I’m going to lock myself in a darkened room

back on topic at last 😉

ski
    Free Member

btw, nothing wrong with sfb photography, imho.

I for one enjoy his photography, its just a bit of shame that he takes this negative (no pun intended) attitude in his posts sometimes.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m going to lock myself in a darkened room

Somebody pass me some mind bleach, please!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think it is, yes. In the big scheme of things. I don’t think it’s an award that reflects a particular talent or ability, more a recognition of effort.

I’ve had a think (and a good cry), and feel it only right that I clarify that statement;

I think it’s great there is an award given in recognition of a photographer’s endeavours, and in no way intended to denigrate anyone who has won this award, and perhaps was a little harsh in suggesting it is in any way ‘mediocre’. I think it would be very unfair of me if I did. Perhaps my comments could be interpreted as insulting. They weren’t meant to be. If I’ve upset or offended anyone (including Barnes), then I apologise.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Mr Barnes, what on Earth are you trying to achieve? Ruin my post or get upset?
    Have a drink, have a bit of self-love, go and take a few snaps. One day you might understand what we are talking about. Not a pretty piccy, not a stylish snap, but a B&W photo that makes you go WOW!
    Don’t give your hobby up though, you’re almost as good as Elfie.
    Nice day!

mikey3
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

If I’ve upset or offended anyone (including Barnes), then I apologise.

What? Are you out of your mind!? This is an internet forum! NEVER APOLOGISE! 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Too often, you just bang on with your ‘I’m SimonFBarnes, award-winning photographer with a Nikon D300B (Special Bottom Edition) and everything I say is gospel’.

in fact I say “ignore convention and rules and find out what works for yourself”, which is rather unremarkable and not as funny as your version 🙂 And FYI this is only the 2nd time I’ve ever mentioned my award on this forum!

mikey3
    Free Member

[mgmy fav b+w photo i have taken,mind you i,ve only taken 2

stuartie_c
    Free Member

a B&W photo that makes you go WOW!

my fav b+w photo i have taken,mind you i,ve only taken 2

WOW!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Have a drink, have a bit of self-love, go and take a few snaps.

you want pics of SFB masturbating? can’t you take that sort of thing to email instead of soiling peoples minds on here.

GrahamS

Elfred: well done for apologising. Good lad.

SFB: “ignore convention and rules and find out what works for yourself” – that would hold more sway if I/we saw any indication from your photos that you had deliberately ignored the rules and conventions to create more interesting images or that you had found a unique style that works for you – which I think was Elf’s point.

molgrips
    Free Member

in fact I say “ignore convention and rules and find out what works for yourself”

Not quite right. You call everyone wrong, slag them off and wind them up no end, and THEN claim you’re only encouraging people to challenge convention.

You know, we all like to explore things and challenge convention. In fact, it’s what artist do in general. Why are you telling us? Do you think we’re all slaves to convention?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

– that would hold more sway if I/we saw any indication from your photos that you had deliberately ignored the rules and conventions to create more interesting images

I’ve already said I’m a very average photographer, but that doesn’t alter the fact that following convention is the opposite of creativity 🙂

You call everyone wrong, slag them off and wind them up no end, and THEN claim you’re only encouraging people to challenge convention.

that’s only your interpretation, but perhaps you can’t tell the difference between being slagged off and being teased 🙂 I only slag off people I know and TJ.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

rather than being particularly well-informed and knowledgeable about photography as an art.

The title of this thread is “B&W photography on film, who else enjoys it? ” Apparently several people.

So why come on belittling their enjoyment of something, just because you don’t share their point of view?

I objected to the spurious suggestion that film and chemicals was “real” photography and the silly idea that a picture appearing in a dish of developer was somehow more magical that it appearing on a small screen, when really it’s just different. This has nothing to do with “art”

molgrips
    Free Member

that’s only your interpretation, but perhaps you can’t tell the difference between being slagged off and being teased

It’t not just me. And perhaps you can’t convey the difference between teasing and slagging off.

Hairychested
    Free Member

SFB, how about you monologue somewhere else? You’re welcome to contribute but I prefer people chat instead of bore.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 263 total)

The topic ‘B&W photography on film, who else enjoys it?’ is closed to new replies.