Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buzzrack & Atera owners
  • ta11pau1

I’ll be buying a towbar rack in the next couple of weeks, both my bikes are carbon, and the atera genio Pro has (IMO) the best frame clamping system, with a ratchet strap that goes around the entire frame.

However, the Buzzrack E-scorpion looks better in every other respect – price, ability to take different wheelbase bikes, but it has the clamp type holders which could be OK but I think I’d prefer the atera type.

You can buy the atera frame clamps separately, so if anyone who owns either an Atera strada with these clamps and/or a buzzrack E-scorpion could measure the diameter of the bar the frame clamps attach too, that would extremely helpful!

I’m hoping the buzzrack bar diameter is the same or slightly smaller than the atera which will mean both will fit. The buzzrack E-scorpion + a couple of atera clamps is still way cheaper than the genio Pro.

djflexure

Have a Buzzrack Scorpion which is great, so easy to use, clamps carbon frames very nicely.
    It replaced an atera Strada which I hated – did not hold the towball securely and was a right faff to set up. Mine did require that you thread bars through the bike frames to clamp additional bikes which was a nightmare. I gues you could avaoid thisissue with a different design

martymac

I have a scorpion too, it’s excellent, i use it for the ebikes, it’s rock solid.
    Gimme a moment and ill measure the diameter of the bar.

martymac

It’s about 32mm diameter.

ta11pau1

Cheers, looking at the scorpion and e-scorpion the clamps actually look identical apart from the colour.

If you get a chance to measure the diameter of the tube the frame clamps attach to, that would be awesome.

Edit: brilliant, thanks!

Just need an atera owner now 😁

johnw1984
    Free Member

Also got a Buzzrack Scorpion, but I see it’s been discontinued now. I’ll probably replace it with one of the new e-scorpions if I ever have to.

I use mine with all sorts of carbon, steel and alu bikes and it’s been ace.

ta11pau1

OK, so after a load of googling, found that the atera tube diameter is 30mm, from a random German website 😁

https://www.traegerspezialist.de/Rahmenhalter-Atera_Rahmenhalter_mit_Nachspannmechanismus_2_Rad_022631_i696_1878.htm

So I think it’s a go, if the Buzzrack is 32mm then it’s close enough that it’ll work.

binman

I have an Atera Strada Evo (I think) but the tube is oval so the arm fits around a rubber insert. The strap does wear with weekly usage, so I have to lock the strap with the key, otherwise it lets go at inopportune moments.

Also the Atera has a mechanism that prevents it functioning unless the arm is secured to the carrier tube..

ta11pau1

Yeah the evo distance holders (frame clamps) are a different design, with a different clamp

The ones for the strada are the regular round clamp as above, so should fit any 30mm tube.

Interesting that you’ve seen wear on the ratchet strap on the atera system.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I used to have a Buzzrack Quattro and the clamps were fine with carbon frames. Really held the bike firm no problem. You’d have to be trying really hard to cause any damage to the frame. the good thing about the clamps are that you can have them open and load bikes up with the clamps open and once you’ve faffed about a bit mountain all the bikes and done all the jiggling and fine tuning that is inevitable then tighten up the clamps.

ta11pau1

Cheers, I think I’ll order the Buzzrack E-scorpion and then see what the clamps are like – at least I have the option to fit the atera clamps if I want.

binman

Interesting that you’ve seen wear on the ratchet strap on the atera system.

Unfortunately you find out the hard way 😮.

The rack design is great, but, the electrics drive me round the bend.

I ended up riveting extra long wheels straps in too, as it struggled with 2.5wt tyres.

Thule next time…

iainc

^^^^ presumably locking the arm straps with the key stops any potential release ?

Asking as have just bought an Atera Strada E ML to replace my Thule xt velospace, as didn’t want to use the Thule arms with new carbon ebike.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buzzrack & Atera owners’ is closed to new replies.