Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buying timber that is straight
  • jools182
    Free Member

I ordered some timber online to make a bike shelf

Brother collected it for me as he was passing the yard

Had a quick look at it and it’s like a banana, which makes it pretty useless for making the shelf

I gave them a ring and they said it’s a natural product and even if I got another piece it would probably be the same

I understand the point that it’s timber and as such can warp a bit, but shouldn’t it be flat enough to be usable?

I am planning on making some alcove shelving too, where any warping would look even worse

It’s hardwood by the way, and from a managed forest 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

sounds like you need some mdf 😉

tbh I normally have a good rummage through the timber and dont let anyone else pick it for me.

thegreatape
    Free Member

This is why Ellen MacArthur got round the world so quickly in her B&Q yacht.

cybermoley
    Free Member

Timber will warp if it is kept in a room that varys in temp or if it gets wet and drys out to quickly etc . I’ve had the same problem with smaller bits from online sellers but if you go to a decent timber yard you can pick some flat wood from the shelf.
    MDF will work as will some decent plywood from a trusted supplier. If you need a decent supplier drop me a line and ill tell you where I buy mine from as I am not sure if I am allowed to post links to sites in the forum.
    I am no way associated with the place I get my ply from other than I buy a lot from the company and the wood is always flat!

iffoverload
    Free Member

you need to select your own, most places will try to get rid of wonky stuff.

plain sawn, badly seasoned then stored poorly is the reason why a lot of timber is twisted and bowed

quater sawn costs more and has a different look but suffers less.

either way if its just bowed bit installing “belly up” might help?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

You’ve done the right thing, don’t let these pretenders bum rush ya!

First thing I was taught by a time-served Joiner. Check all timber for bowing, twisting and excessive knots, pick the best discarding the shite.

If the yard only has shite left, go elsewhere. PITA but thats real world opportunism, any mug will do, don’t let that mug be you!

Slight bowing can be advantageous for joists, where you fit them bow upward and as time passes they settle straight instead of sagging.

maccyb
    Free Member

I had some timber delivered to build a stud wall, which was moderately bowed when it arrived, having been stored outside and rained on in the delivery truck. I had a bit more than I needed so I selected the straightest bits and got on with the job… kept the others indoors for unspecified future use, and after drying out for a couple of weeks the worst bits had actually straightened up again and were usable after all.

You might find if you let yours dry out it will get better. Of course, if your bike shelf is going outside that might not work…

garage-dweller

The quality of what’s available in the big diy chains seems to have dropped over the last few years. Finding remotely close to straight bigger timber in the racks is now a time consuming process unless you get lucky. Although it can be done. My impression is that it’s mainly bought down to a price point for domestic punters because that’s what most of the market wants.

nickjb
    Free Member

B&Q gets a tough rap on here but this is one of the reasons I like to buy my timber from there. I can select all the bits I want and take as long as I want. I’m yet to find a timber merchant that will allow me to do this. The price isn’t that bad and often cheaper for small quantities. All the bits rejected by others get put back on the top of the pile so you will get mostly rejects if you let someone else pick for you.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I used to drive the lads at my timber yard mad by taking my time selecting timber.
    With softwood you can take your time selecting lengths, or go elsewhere if it’s crap, but hardwood is often only available to order.
    The “it’s a natural product” line is bullshit. It should still be fit for purpose.
    Just about every timber yard, large and small, I’ve used for hardwood has let me down. The only one that hasn’t is the one I mentioned in your previous thread…

footflaps

I’m yet to find a timber merchant that will allow me to do this.

I can at my local builder’s merchant (Ridgeons).

woffle
    Free Member

The quality of what’s available in the big diy chains seems to have dropped over the last few years. Finding remotely close to straight bigger timber in the racks is now a time consuming process unless you get lucky. Although it can be done. My impression is that it’s mainly bought down to a price point for domestic punters because that’s what most of the market wants.

This. I went to buy some for a chicken run. I went traipsing round three stores before I found anywhere that had 3m. lengths that hadn’t been badly stored and hence bowed or warped. It’s not exactly cheap either.

(That said, I picked up some bargain spruce lengths for £1.50 a pop from the bargain / offcuts rail at Homebase that were slightly bowed. A couple of weeks laid flat in the dry and in stable temps and they’re right as rain and will be fine in the 2ft lengths I need)

project
    Free Member

Go to a timber yard with a high turnover of stock select your own planks and boards, and chat to the chaps there they will remember you and probaly next time you go in will be helpful selecting stuff.

Band q is where i buy most of our timber , ready apcked high turnover of stock, discounts for taking bits with dodgy ends easily cut off and discarded, but they dont sell hardwoods, and the softwoods even though banded and packed are easily taken apart top get a few lenghts out

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buying timber that is straight’ is closed to new replies.