Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Buying spokes
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

Should be a quick easy one for someone.

I had a spoke go ping at the weekend. Never (in thirty years of riding) had to replace one before, so how do I go about finsing the right one/size?

trailwagger
    Free Member

finding not finsing

cookeaa

If you know the hub/rim the DT online calculator works for most popular combo’s, I also like using the old spocalc spreadsheet…

once calculated there are lots of places you can buy a spoke from, it’s probably a good idea to replace with the same brand/model to minimise the risk of another going ping…

trailwagger
    Free Member

What is this online calculator you speak of ?

don’t fancy my chances of finding the brand/make of the originals (stock wheels on genesis fugio 20)

tthew

Have you got both the parts of the broken one? Measure from the tip of the thread to the inside of the bend* in mm, then order one that length. If you are getting one from a shop, take the snapped one with you.

*There’s some that advocate tip of the thread to middle of the bend, but you’ve got a couple of mm tolerance, so either should be close enough.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Have you got both the parts of the broken one? Measure from the tip of the thread to the inside of the bend* in mm, then order one that length. If you are getting one from a shop, take the snapped one with you.

Don’t think I have the full spoke. But if did, do you mean tip, as in, the end of the spoke, or where the threaded and non threaded part of the spoke meet?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Measure any equivalent spoke on the wheel. From the inside of the J bend to its end (usually 12mm from where it goes into the nipple

nedrapier

LBS is your best bet.  If you were buying 64 for a couple of wheels. and you know the measurements, it’s cheaper to by from Rose bikes.  You can measure the hub dimensions while it’s built up, but not the rim ERD.  You want a bike shop that can try a couple of lengths, and tell you what length works so you know for next time.

tthew

do you mean tip, as in, the end of the spoke, or where the threaded and non threaded part of the spoke meet?

End of the spoke.

Actually, what cynic-al said would work too. Even if it’s not bang on, 12 mm is plenty of thread inside the nipple, but not enough to go so far through it’ll puncture the rim-tape.

greyspoke
    Free Member

The diagrams on this page show how DT Swiss measure their J-bend spokes.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/spokes-nipples/spokes/dt-competition/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Buying spokes’ is closed to new replies.