Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Buying second hand carbon handlebars and seatposts….
  • MoreCashThanDash

Yay or nay?

Wanting to lose some weight from the bikes of the smaller members of the Clan McMoreCash. Wheels and other bits are obviously on the lookout list but cheap stock seatposts and bars are pretty heavy.

I’d happily trust sellers on here that any carbon bling wouldn’t snap and kill my loved ones – none of us get the wheels more than an inch off the ground. But not so sure about some of the tempting bargains on ebay. Nagging doubt they might be being sold after a big crash.

Am I just paranoid?

Trimix
    Free Member

No different to buying secondhand aluminium.

Ive a set of carbon bars that have been ridden into the ground and various trees for years – no problem.

It might break, you might win the lottery or a satellite may land on your head.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

+1

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Daffy

All bar one (no pun intended) of my carbon handlebars over the past 11 years have been second hand.

MoreCashThanDash

That was what my head was telling me.

Thank you for so delicately telling to stop over thinking it and jfdi!

tallmart10

I’ve had a second-hand carbon frame and bars for 3 years. Not dead yet ..

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well the way I see it is that if someone sells their bars every time they have a crash then lots of people are getting cheap bars. JRA failures are almost always a stress riser or a manufacturing fault aren’t they? Rather than “I crashed heavily last year and it’s been a ticking time bomb ever since”. So on that basis, a pre-tested component might be safer than brand new.

iainc

I dunno, but I have a set of Easton Haven 711mm carbon bars that are spare, pretty scratched but structurally sound if interested ? £20 posted ?

TiRed

I broke a set of used carbon road bars. Took a dead stop from 20mph into the side of a car to snap them (and my wrist). I really wouldn’t worry about them to be honest. Never had a seatpost fail either.

MoreCashThanDash

Iainc – might well be interested. If you could maybe let me have a pic of the condition so my increasingly over sensitive 12 year old can give his approval 🙄 my email is in my profile.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I have a brand new and boxed set of the same bars for £40 posted. Fitted but never ridden.

br
    Free Member

I bought my last pair new for £20 from On-One, the chewy ones – #whybuysecondhand

MoreCashThanDash

He’ll have to save his pocket money a bit longer for yours slimjim 😉

iainc

Mailed some pics

Tracey

Where are you based, any where near South Yorkshire

MoreCashThanDash

Hi Tracey – near Derby. Close enough yet far enough away… 😉

iainc

MCTD – pics come through ok ?

Tracey

Ive got a set of S Works carbons, just taken of Katies Enduro, he can have but postage makes it uneconomic, let me know if you are ever round our way or in the Peak and I will put them in the boot

Daffy

You can post bars via royal mail for £6. just make sure that post office knows to charge is as a Tube. There’s a special exemption for tube parcels which allows them to go as a medium parcel.

chakaping
    Free Member

MyHermes are under £3 for handlebars, if you drop them at the local shop.

jekkyl

there’s a few new carbon bars kncoking about at 50 quid.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Carbon is much more “delicate” than aluminium and its harder to tell if its been compromised by over tightening. If it fails its likely to fail with a bang as such. Also the quality of carbon products varies enormously – product modulus and manufacturing process. I’ve never had a carbon frame and wouldn’t buy one. Having said that a decent brand of carbon bars second hand from a seller you trust for £20 would be well worth a punt to me.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Buying second hand carbon handlebars and seatposts….’ is closed to new replies.