Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Buying Ipad in the USA
  • bruk

What kind of warranty issues would there be with buying an Ipad in the States for use over here.

Quick google suggests $599 for 32g Wifi which would br lots cheaper than here.

Wife is away at conference there till w/e so only a wee bit of time to think about it.

Popocatapetl

Well, apart from the fact you can’t pop it back to the store if it goes wrong, it will also charge at 110V so you would need to have an inverter/transformer to charge it in the UK. i think it’s not worth the hassle IMO.

Flaperon

Think you’ll be OK. I’m willing to bet an Apple store in the UK will honour the warranty, and all modern switching power adapters are 110-250V anyway.

bruk

Mmm, might amble into the Apple store and ask.

Is quite a saving so might be willing to risk it.

samuri
    Free Member

Don’t forget, there is likely to be a state tax in place too which might make it less attractive, not to mention any import duties you might get snagged for.

juanking

Mm, I too have been looking at this for a present. As I understand duty is only payable on goods over 379 sterling which $599 is not. Don’t forget to look at your state tax depending on where she may buy it, the state tax can be over 10% so be careful. I on the otherhand may get one in Alaska where the is no state tax. The power converter doesn’t worry me.

bruk

Sales tax 7% which based on £368 is roughly £394. Getting tempted.

juanking

Apologies, the threshold us 390 sterling.

bruk

Juanking, does that figure include the sales tax?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Well, apart from the fact you can’t pop it back to the store if it goes wrong, it will also charge at 110V so you would need to have an inverter/transformer to charge it in the UK. i think it’s not worth the hassle IMO.

apple mobile products (laptops/phones/ipads/ipods) have an international warranty.
    all apple chargers are multi voltage, you can snap on the plug from a uk apple product or get one from the applestore.

why do people bother replying with misinformation when they don’t know the correct answer?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

why do people bother replying with misinformation when they don’t know the correct answer?

Err, beaucause this is STW?? 🙂

You dont have to be right.

Just opinionated…

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

If your bothered about tax, just whip off the box and bring it back without it, then you took it with you and bought it in the uk. 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

IPad was one of two bits of tech that I looked at getting when in the US at Easter. Didn’t bother as the prices were very disappointing. The other was Bose QC headphones

yathers
    Free Member

I bought a macbook pro from Hawaii when the exchange rate was excellent, I just left the box in Hawaii and no one checked on way through customs, I would of just said i’d already had it. In the uk it still had a full warranty, Mine had an issue with the battery and it got replaced no issues, even though when they put the serial for my computer in it came up with where it had been bought. Apple warranty is worldwide I was told.

seanoc
    Free Member

Mine is from the US; no problem charging, no problem with booking a Genius appointment. Been told by the Apple chap that I should experience t the exact same service as with a UK bought product.

Bought a 64gb last year for £420 – may have been some cabin crew discount in there.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Mr smith is correct. Apple warrantee is worldwide for their mobile equipment as for the power, just clip out the American plug and clip in the uk plug.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I got my 32gb wifi ipad from the States and leather magnetic cover.

Even with the sales tax I saved £90 on the uk price.

They don’t charge from the computer. Mine worked straight away with my uk ipod usb charger.

Chuffed to bits with it. Do it!

MM

uplink
    Free Member

An iPad is classed the same as a laptop as far as customs is concerned so doesn’t attract import duty, just VAT if they can be bothered

rocketman
    Free Member

Bloke at work has a just come back with two in his hand luggage. Said it was tricky to connect to the UK Apple Store at first but tbh he is not the sharpest tool in the box. Otherwise OK, big saving on rip-off UK prices.

anjs
    Free Member

I know someone who got stung for the duty as he could not produce a valid uk recipt for it

uplink
    Free Member

I know someone who got stung for the duty as he could not produce a valid uk recipt for it

http://www.dutycalculator.com/blog/no-import-duty-on-the-ipad/

Popocatapetl

@Mr smith, if i knew everything i wouldn’t bother posting on STW. Thank you of informing me that all Apple products are Multi voltage, i didn’t know.

mossimus
    Free Member

They don’t charge from the computer.

Yes they do if you turn them off.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

ah that’s good to know

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Buying Ipad in the USA’ is closed to new replies.