Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Buying fence panels
  • DT78
    Free Member

1down, looks like a few more will follow shortly. Uprights are okay bolted to short concrete posts.

The fence is old and mismatched so starting to look at replacing the lot 10 6×6 panels

Not cheap are they?

I’d like something that’s more robust than your standard stuff, and it would be nice if it looked smart / nicer than bog standard ones too

Recommendations/ideas? Where is a decent place to buy from and get good quality.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I found it only cost me about 25% more to pay a fencer to supply and fit, than if I had bought the panels, postcrete etc and fitted them myself.

It wasn’t worth the hassle.

revs1972
    Free Member

Had a fence built a couple of months ago, 4 inch posts, 3 rails and feather edge boards. Looking down the back lane earlier on, a lot of the neighbours fences hadn’t faired so well. Most of the damaged ones are panel types. This one is solid as a rock.
    35 metres, cost me around £1200 in materials and £500 labour , so around £50 a metre

eskay

I put in concrete posts and gravel boards and bought the panels from my local timber merchant, much better quality than b&q etc

ayjaydoubleyou

Supply and demand innit. Viz top tip – Try stockpiling fencing supplies in the summer.

scaredypants

I’d go slats (single or double) – avoids some of the blowy-overy type stuff and great for all your hoofing requirements too

(wish we had slats 🙁 )

senorj

Bet the price of fence panels rises today.
    &Roofers will be living like kings.

Dickyboy

I put in concrete posts and gravel boards and bought the panels from my local timber merchant, much better quality than b&q etc

We’ve had to strap and screw ours round the concrete posts as they were forever bowing in the wind, popping out of the post slots and blowing into the neighbours garden

burko73

I tend to use Selco for fence panels. Decent panels and often on offer. Not likely next week though! They’ll deliver free as well.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

New Forest Fencing down near the Nursling B&Q seem the cheapest around here. I had their brochure on my desk until about a week ago. They do cheap gates too which is why I was looking.

DT78
    Free Member

I’ll check out new forest fencing.

What type of panel do I want? Closeboard, featheredge etc… I want something that’ll last longer than the usual type.

Poking at prices I might just have to replace what’s truelly knackered and budget for a renewal another time. I wasn’t expecting £50psm

burko73

I think Selco were cheaper than new forest fencing when I last bought panels. I tend to wait until they ave an offer. The panels are decent quality. The delivery helps as well as you can order online and save a trip.

If you’re after fencing golden larch fencing next to paultons park are also decent and not far from new forest fencing. I tend to buy feather edge there.

The fencing centre at Hurn nr the (bournemouth) airport is also decent if you’re west of the new forest. They often have gates in their discount racks but will also make to order.

burko73

You could do closeboard yourself instead of panels. If you’ve already got the concrete uprights you may as well just slot in another panel though.

devbrix
    Free Member

Jackson’s is expensive (very) but you won’t need to replace it for many, many years. I’ve two 17 year old Jackson arches which only look a couple of years old and a border with their sleepers around it all solid with absolutely no rot. I’ve changed all my fence posts to Jackson’s after having replaced them twice before with the usual tantalised ones which rotted quickly just above the concrete and fell over. The second lot of crappy trellis between the posts is now falling to bits and blowing over so will be getting out the Jackson’s catalogue again. God only knows what they use to rot-proof their wood but it works.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks all for suggestions, looks like for selco you need to be in the trade. Will check out jacksons too

tintim

Try Welch Fencing. Despite the distance from us they were significantly cheaper than other local suppliers when we were comparing prices.

Home

DT78
    Free Member

Good prices but £69 delivery charge for me 🙁

nick1962
    Free Member

Put up a new fence a couple of weeks ago,just bog standard panels with wooden posts,postcrete,metal brackets top caps.Cheapest place I could find was B and M just as good a quality as the ones at both local builders merchants and a lot cheaper.
    https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/fence-panel-6-x-6-328403 I had to pay a local guy £30 for delivery (10miles)but the store arranged it all.
    Fenceposts and panels still standing despite the storm!

burko73

The Selco panels have an extra vertical batten over the b&s ones. Helps with strength.

Didn’t realise they were just trade. Have seen non trade mates in there in the past.

They’re not on sale at the mo and are £21 inc vat for 6×6. May get them cheaper on a quote if you can get a trade account or wait for a deal.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Buying fence panels’ is closed to new replies.