Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Buying an Inbred Puppy
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Putting aside that ‘purebreed/pedigree’ dogs started out inbred and to some extent will be inbred at times to hopefully lock in or hopefully breed out a trait, would you knowingly take an inbred dog on?

The pups owner has been honest from the off, and explained that they, mother and son, were able to breed by accident when the owner was unwell and the bitch went to stay with family where the male dog lived.
    Only cost involved to purchase the dog will be to cover vets costs prior to pup being old enough to release.

We are currently in two minds. Its a breed we want as a pet so not bothered about KC papers etc, however the potential higher risk for genetic disorders to come to light later in life is an issue, and whilst we know that this could be true to an extent with any dog, the increased risk is making the choice more difficult.

I appreciate the honesty (as far as we can gather at least) as they could have just as easily lied.

Any thoughts?

redthunder
    Free Member

Is that new to the 2013 range ?

Wrong forum 😉

PS Get a rescue dog.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Lol, didnt take long that one 😀

Always had rescue dogs, but this is cheaper and a breed we want so tempting, well apart from what I’ve already put above.

geoffj

*Is disappoint that this isn’t about a new Planet X mountain bike 😈

mtbfix

A lot will depend on the pedigree of the dogs line. If they have not been too heavily bred up to this point the risks should be limited. If the purity of the lineage has been maintained with plenty of breeding with grandparents then probably walk away.

woody2000

Don’t worry, in-breeding is fine. You’ll never know…..

piemonster

RDL-82
    Free Member

A lot will depend on the pedigree of the dogs line. If they have not been too heavily bred up to this point the risks should be limited. If the purity of the lineage has been maintained with plenty of breeding with grandparents then probably walk away.

No way for me to know that tbh, other than hoping they remain honest if asked.
    Leaning towards walking away, as with two kids its just not worth the heartache and tears should it develop problems.

Just curious for opinions really at the minute as the pups are not ready yet anyway.

piemonster

Soylent Green Bread – New flavour out soon

piemonster

Well, that’s as useful as I’m going to be on this thread.

I’ll watch with interest tho!

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’d have thought that a responsible breeder would have terminated an accidental pregnancy?

cinnamon_girl

What age are your children?

RDL-82
    Free Member

I’d have thought that a responsible breeder would have terminated an accidental pregnancy?

True, can’t help wondering why they weren’t kept apart as well, I know accidents happen but breeders should know full well the signs that the bitch is coming into season. I’m no breeder but I always had an idea with our last dog before we had here done.

hora
    Free Member

What breed?

RDL-82
    Free Member

C_g they are 9 & 4 so will get very attached. They have been desperate for another dog since the last one and we’ve been 50/50, but have decided to start quietly looking again.

What breed?

Well Woody2000 has shown as amazingly psychic ability, it currently looks much cuter than that though!

ski
    Free Member

hora – Member
    What breed?

Will that make a difference in the inbred stakes? ;-)#

OP, sounds like its a none starter to me.

Hope you have not formed a bond

RDL-82
    Free Member

@ski no bond, seen nothing more than pictures and over the phone communication as mother still defensive around litter.
    Leaning away from it anyway tbh. The initial, its what we want at a good price has passed and the potential pitfalls are growing now.

cinnamon_girl

I do think it would be safer to look at pure breds and research as much as possible.

What breed was your dog that you lost? Would you consider another or prefer another breed?

With young children you obviously need to feel confident that the dog has no traits.

Good luck and we will obviously need pics when puppy arrives!

RDL-82
    Free Member

Our last dog was a rescue centre American Bulldog, prior to that we have had a rescue centre Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Both great pets.
    Just want a smaller breed now and rescuing again is still an option providing the right dog comes along, sadly our local rescue centre is just full of SBT’s right now and we don’t want another as we fancy a change.

Helios
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch this. Too many risks associated with father/daughter or son/mother mating. The inbreeding coefficient will be way too high (at least 25%) and the likelihood of this causing problems is huge. You sound like you’re tempted because its the breed you want (GSP?) and cheap – but inbreeding can lead to health problems which will be incredibly expensive to deal with in the long run. Saving a little money now by taking on a cheap dog could cost you lots more over time.

I’d also be worried about the state and suitability of the sire and dam to be bred from in the first place if the breeder doesn’t know what they’re doing enough to keep them separate.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Can it play the banjo?

cinnamon_girl

A few suggestions – Cocker Spaniel, Border Terrier (very popular on here), Westie.

You’re definitely making the right decision and Helios has made a very good post above.

hora
    Free Member

TBH most bred pedigree’s are probably inbred to a degree. Common problems are more likely to be skin problems than anything else – but behavioural can happen.

If Mother and Son are in top condition themselves I’d be tempted.

legend
    Free Member

I’d also be worried about the state and suitability of the sire and dam to be bred from in the first place if the breeder doesn’t know what they’re doing enough to keep them separate.

Did you read the OP? Breeder didn’t have either of the dogs when the accident happened.

However, assuming you want your dog to have a long, healthy, life I’d be inclined to look elsewhere

Helios
    Free Member

Did you read the OP? Breeder didn’t have either of the dogs when the accident happened.

Yep – it’s their dog and their responsibility, regardless of where or when it happened.

onehundredthidiot

Just go with it.

Health issues can occur in eth best of dogs. All thoroughbreds are inbred to a greater or lesser extent, indeed who’s to say your average rescue dog mongrel wasn’t the product of inbreeding?

Be informed of the medical traits in the breed that occur through inbreeding (deaf dalmations etc) and weigh up if your willing to take on a dog that may need put down in 3 years due to epilepsy (as with a springer of ours that it turns out had parenst which were too closely related)

bwaarp
    Free Member

Cockapoo…

got a 10 week old one right now…

best dog ever….up there with my last Springer…if not better.

Ar 9 weeks old she was:

1) Peeing and pooping outside 95 percent of the time
    2) Sitting and lying down on command
    3) Retrieving on command

My last Springer was good but she was an idiot up until about 4 months old, she didn’t notice birds or rabbits etc (or basically anything in her environment) or listen to many commands. She was great in the end….but this puppy is so aware! She already spots birds 50-100 yards away and listens to you! She’s more like a small dog than a puppy!

wrecker
    Free Member

I hope someone takes the puppies. I wouldn’t like to think what will happen to them otherwise 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Linebreeding is fairly common in dogs but if the dogs are already linebred once?!? I’d walk away.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Some things to consider, as mentioned earlier, theres no rush or pressure to commit as the pups wont be ready until March.

Will continue to look at the rescue centre in the mean time and in a few weeks may go and view the pups and get more information on the parents regarding previous parentage etc.

I’m still in two minds, they could have said nothing and i’d be none the wiser and the dog could live a full and great life or not as the case could be, however I could buy one from a breeder with crossed parentage and still end up with a pup that becomes ill from some heridarty illness, ultimately no guarantees eitherway.

All i can go off so far regarding honesty of intentions is that the owner/breeder is not making money from it beyond recouping costs of checks and vacinations.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Buying an Inbred Puppy’ is closed to new replies.