• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Buying a wheelset then swapping the rims straight away – good idea?
  • padkinson
    Free Member

I’m looking at building up a nice light set of 650b wheels, and I’m going for Funworks (don’t laugh) hubs as they’re decent for the money. I’ll probably be going for Light Bicycle carbon rims as I’ve used them before and they’ve been pretty good. Thing is, Action Sports do some cracking deals on complete wheelsets (i.e. the price of the wheelset being a good 100 quid less than the price of all the components bought separately), and the Ryde Trace 29 rim comes out with the same (well, one mm out) ERD as the 650b ching chong rims.

So should I buy the wheelset and the rims, swap over the rims and sell them? Or is that an awful idea?

stevied
    Free Member

I think the awful idea is referring to something from China as ching chong 🙄

scaredypants

it’s not an awful idea but I doubt you’ll make much on the resale

have you looked at getting full wheelset from LB – their builds are pretty cheap and they have quite a few hubs on their books if this is correct

oh, and “ching chong” ? 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    padkinson
    Free Member

Sorry about the ching chong thing, it’s just an expression I’ve picked up working in the shop where we tend to refer to anything unbranded and direct from China as such.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do you get sore finger with your chips on dinner break?

jakd95
    Free Member

It’s not “just a expression”, it’s racism.

Poopscoop

As much slang as racism, either way he apologised.

Jeeezzz. Will tell my mate from NZ he is being racist by calling me a Pom when I next see him.

schmiken

Not riding a Niner next year then Paddy? I also reckon you should have a look at what Light Bike can build for you – they do a cracking build on Pro2 or Novatec!

njee20
    Free Member

Not worth the hassle. Unless the wheel build is actually cheaper than the hubs/spokes. Market for second hand rims is tiny.

Also worth considering that LB ERDs are ‘optimistic’ at best.

otsdr
    Free Member

R2-bike sells the LB rims as part of their wheelset offers; I assume you could have them laced to Novatec hubs if you’re going for the cheapest option.

Ask them for a quote: https://r2-bike.com/navi.php?jtl_token=ed701ab037d802b8e8546242bdbcb0db&k=1112&suche=&Sortierung=11&hf=149&af=0

DanW
    Free Member

Also worth considering that LB ERDs are ‘optimistic’ at best.

This!

R2-bike sells the LB rims as part of their wheelset offers

With quite a markup though IIRC

Their complete wheel builds are great value. I picked up Tune Princess/ Kong, CX-Rays and Ryde Trace XC for around £400. The build quality wasn’t the best though so factor that in if you don’t work on your own wheels

padkinson
    Free Member

It’s not “just a expression”, it’s racism.

Because of course you’ve never said/typed something you’ve heard from colleagues without thinking. You’re far too good for that.

padkinson
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions guys, I think I’ll be better off buying hubs, rims and spokes separately. So what hubs are around at the moment that are reasonably light but not too pricey? I’m thinking hope prices and lower, and lighter than hopes.

padkinson
    Free Member

schmiken – Member
    Not riding a Niner next year then Paddy?

Shhh, it’s a secret

zero-cool
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with calling people out on casual racism.

Tom KP

DanW
    Free Member

what hubs are around at the moment that are reasonably light but not too pricey?

Goldtec do a 100g front hub (15mm) for £105 and you could get an American Classic 225 (225-234g) for ~£180 from the German stores. DT Swiss 240 are a similar price but a touch heavier. I reckon you’d save around 100g compared to Hope hubs but at a £100 premium

That is about the lightest, decent value hubset I can think of. Very much diminishing returns from then on. If you want something cheaper then you don’t really get lighter than Hopes. The Novatec “Superlights” are fairly Hope weight. Maybe a Goldtec front/ Hope rear could be a middle ground if pennies really are tight?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Buying a wheelset then swapping the rims straight away – good idea?’ is closed to new replies.