Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Buying a used frame from Ebay America?
  • CrispyCSW

Anyone done this before? What should I be aware of? What hidden costs are there (taxes / duty etc).

Also, how much will it cost to ship and who would you recommend using? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm nervous that what looks like a good deal will end up costing me way more than I'm planning 😯

uplink
    Free Member

If customs intercept it you can really expect to pay another 30% or so

If the seller reduces the paper value to avoid customs charges you will pay less but make sure you don't go too far & tell them not to include any paperwork in the box that reflects the real price
    If it goes AWOL in transit – insurance will only [obviously] cover the declared value

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Did it last year- on a frame RRP £1250 over here, secondhand with Ti spring for £600 all in.

Taxes/fees of about 20-25% on a frame.

I emailed the seller and got them to increase postage costs/reduce item cost on ebay, and mark customs for a bit less.

Plan for the worse case scenario- take total price (including shipping) and add 25%. If its still a good deal, go for it

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

You will be charged import tax on the purchase price AND the cost of shipping. You are then charge 17.5% VAT on the Purchase price + shipping + import tax.

It was 4.7% on frames and components and 14% on full bikes.

So it will be:

(purchase price + Shipping ) x 4.7% import tax + VAT on all of this.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you really pay VAT on secondhand imported products?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yup even on second hand goods, and they charge you it on the total value of the purchase price + shipping + import tax.

Thats right they tax you on the tax…

Gotta love those f*ckers in downing st.

CrispyCSW

Thanks everyone, maybe not quite the bargain I was hoping it would be, but could still work out to be a good deal.

Stevie
    Free Member

You shouldn't have to pay VAT on secondhand goods.

br
    Free Member

You shouldn't have to pay VAT on secondhand goods

You do if they were sold without VAT in the first place, e.g. commercial vehicles and/or goods sold in foreign countries.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Done it, frameset for £700. No probs, no tax etc.

C

bol

My seller didn't include any eBay related paperwork and marked the box 'second hand bike frame – gift'. No problems at all, although it clearly got opened at customs.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Warranty replacement straight from Niner Bikes, marked as so, and .99c value

Free to my door

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I got a brand new Banshee Pyre with an RP23 for £500 delivered from Canada, RRP about £1300.

chuck85
    Free Member

I recently (this monday) got a guitar from the states and the guy filled the declaration form in with such bad hand writing the value looked like $105 instead of $1105! Customs opened the box and made an educated guess that it was worth more. It was held until I could produce a receipt showing the correct value of the item so the correct tax could be paid! It was only because the item was tracked I knew it was being held as the letter had got held up with all the postal problems, and you only have 14 days to pay or they return to sender and charge you for the pleasure! I would be very careful about putting down such a low value for such a large item, the custom guys aren't stupid! If they see a massive box with the value of $1 on it they will soon open it!
    Also if the frame gets damaged the sender won't be able to claim for value of the item.
    Best thing to do is work out the worst possible cost and if it's still worth it go for it, if it slips through the net your be quids in!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Buying a used frame from Ebay America?’ is closed to new replies.