Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Buying a small boat advice
  • binners

Where are you planning on sailing said boat/blow up thing then Hora?

hora
    Free Member

Where are you planning on sailing said boat/blow up thing then Hora?

Lakes etc etc. Binners you could always join me at Sale Water Park with your two? You can hire various boats etc there and they run courses.

binners

Sod that!! The scallies have torpedo’s and depth charges round there’ you know?

wwaswas

Maybe have a look at inflatable kayaks?

Lots available at various prices, you can keep an eye on the boy whilst you’re paddling and he can join in later on as he grows.

You would have to make the Hawaii 5-0 theme tune the whole time you were in it though. Even better break out into ‘Da-Da-Da-Da-Daaa-Daaaa’ everytime someone goes past.

hora
    Free Member

Ooooo perfect 😀

Coleman
    Free Member
    scruff9252

An inflatable kayak is one thing, but I strongly recommend going no where near one of the Toy inflatable boats linked above.

Even the 2.3m Seago linked above is not what you are looking for. That’s coming from someone who uses a seago every week to get out to my boat’s mooring as a tender and has one sat beside me right now.

They are miserable to row any further than a few hundred meters even with no waves / wind to contend with. Add in wind and a chop and you will get very tired, very quickly.

I would recommend seeking out a local sailing club, they almost all have open days where you can go along, chat to members, and get a shot of some boats.

It will provide you with a base knowledge from which you can decide where you want to take it. I too would recommend joining a sailing club. Many / most have boats you can use for a very small fee and will be, on the whole, well mantained. If you and the boy take to it then go get a mirror / Graduate / GP14 and only sailing it when there is rescue cover. At least for in initial year or two.

I have been sailing all my life and have been on and around boats since before I could walk. It’s a great activity to do, with so many possibilities from pottering about of a Sunday morning, picnics on the beach, some friendly racing to even competitive top flight racing.

However if you don’t know what your doing, things can go wrong very quickly and you will be putting your life in danger.

It is however great fun! Please don’t let me put you off, you should definitely give it go, but please don’t buy a toy boat and put yourself in danger.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Also..

shortcut the Coastguards phone number on yer phone..

wwaswas

shortcut the Coastguards phone number on yer phone..

I thought he only wanted to go out on the odd pond and canal on sunny afternoons?

sweepy
    Free Member

A canadian canoe is a boat to progress into rather than out of. Easy to car top and will take you amazing places. You can even do a bit of sailing if you want.

hora
    Free Member

scruff9252 duly noted and will ask etc when there later on.

Binners interested? We could recreate the Titanic love scene on the bow

martinhutch

Canal cruising, you say?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrOBqn0asug[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for avoiding anything inflatable unless you plan on using it soley with a motor. Think about it in bike terms, they’re like Downhill bikes, you can mash away at the pedals/oars, but the frame/boat just absorbs all the energy. You’d not take him on his first XC ride on a 224 and expect him to like it?

Sailing club open days are great, see if you actualy enjoy it. Then some evening classes to cover the basics (and capsise drills). Then introduce kids. Sailing is easy, learning to sail is easy, learning to sail well is something that never stops, you just get better. But things can and do go wrong very quickly, I’m speeking from experience having been pulled out the water blue in the face after the boat capsized and my head went between the mainsheet and the boom and I couldn’t loosen it as it had jammed arround the lifejackets* collar. Completely fluke accident but happened on a summers day within 100m of the shore.

*important distinction, a lifejacket will keep you afloat and should hold your head up if unconcious. A bouyancy aid won’t gaurentee you float (although you probably will unless wearing lead filled boots) and less likley to roll you over if uncocnious. The problem was the collar got caught.

bentandbroken

It might be worth you looking at something like the Aquaglide Multisport

Rubbish name, but as you have stated that you are looking to introduce as many sports as possible it ticks the box for dingy sailing, paddling, windsurfing and general mucking about (diving platform, sunbathing etc)

Obviously it is inflatable so will fit in the boot of most cars. This also means it is a compromise in terms of performance, but the ability to stick it in the boot, set it us in different ways as the mood takes you and everything you need is in ‘one bag’ means you may use it more than something dedicated to one activity

PS – You may also be able to fit an electric outboard like this to it

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Buying a small boat advice’ is closed to new replies.