Buying a puppy

Home Forum Chat Forum Buying a puppy

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Buying a puppy
  • Going to see a litter tomorrow, what should I ask/look for?

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Whether it’s been microwaved?

Shakey

Check out Rogue Traders on the BBC IPlayer – they told you everything you need to know about what to look at/ask for and where not to buy!

ask to see both parents or at least the mother, if they say no, walk away.

and do what Shakey said if only for the terrier in motorcycle goggles

the terrier in motorcycle goggles

I found that hilarious too. 😆

if its a posh pedigree go through the association who will recommend a breeder

Watched rogue traders, whilst its very sad for the animals, there is a saying about a fool and their money.

People I am seeing have both sire and dam and say it’ll come with 6 weeks free insurance so they seem fairly good so far

check the pedigree (if it’s a posh one) with it’s association before you hand over any money

brant

Anyone ever taken on a rescue greyhound/lurcher?

The wife is quite interested.

fbk

As above – make sure the breeders are happy for you to have a look round, especially at the sire/dam/rest of the litter. Going by the photo you posted, I assume you’re looking at terriers so Hip scores etc don’t really apply. They shouldn’t really have docked tails these days though – worth checking…

Best advice is use common sense and take it to see your local vet asap after purchase to be checked out (and vaccinated etc).

goog

you should ask for directions to a dogs home !

theres plenty of poochies waiting for a good home in most citys which are just stuck in kennels waiting to die 🙁

please refrain from posting pictures of cute ickle puppies, rogue traders was bad enough

[recites to self] I CAN’T BY A PUPPY

fbk

Brant – Greyhounds/lurchers make great pets, so long as you haven’t got any cats/rabbits!

Minimal exercise needs, generally pretty laid back temperament. They do tend to be complete girls-blouses though and have really bad teeth 🙂

fbk

goog – I definately agree. Not a big fan of paying money for a pedigree dog when dog’s homes are full.

You do need to be careful with them too though – some pretty dodgy rehoming centres around 🙁

Not terriers, well there’s a little terrier apparently and I havent done fractions for a while but I worked it out as:
    3/8 greyhound
    1/4 collie
    1/4 whippet
    1/8 Bedlington terrier

I’ve been to dogs homes and unless you want some dog that looks like it would eat the local children the choices are limited.

mudshark

I’d get a rescue dog but if buying then I’d buy from someone like my parents who just had a few litters for interest rather than looking at it as a business.

I should also add that a rescue home told me I couldnt have a dog as I would cruelly expect a dog to sleep in a kennel outside at night….. no wonder theres so many dogs needing homes.

HAng on .. it’s a problem a dog sleeping outside!!?? what about all those police dogs that live in kennels in people’s back gardens? Hey confused … isn’t that where they started as working dogs until people had nice warm comfy homes!? think I’m missing something.

it’s a problem for dogs that are not used to it, it’s a pretty big shock to the system.

true it would be a shock to those not used to it which is a fair point (although I expect most dogs couldnt care less) but the bloody kennels at the dogs home were outside and when I pointed this out I think they decided I was a trouble maker.

Oxboy

You definately want a lurcher? Have you had one before? Unless you can train it you will be forever going over endless fields chasing it after its seen a rabbit/hare/fox/cat etc. I’m not joking mate these are working dogs bred for hunting. I like em but unless you know how to train a dog I’d look for a more sedate ‘pet’ breed.

goon

Brant – two rescue lurchers so far. Superb dogs, both very different. Check http://www.lurcherinkorg for lots needing homes, and more advice than you can shake a stick at.

Oxboy – Tripe. Not all of them work / hunt, which is why so many are turfed out and are in need of rehoming. Like most things in life, you can’t generalise to that extent. Our first was an ex-worker, abandoned because he was slowing down at 6 years old. The most biddable dog I ever met once he figured out we didn’t want him to work any more.

Our current was homeless at around 2 years old because he is a total dead loss as a worker. In more than 2 years he’s only ever taken mixy rabbits, and ended down the vet after he caught a squirrel and it mauled him (I’m not joking!)

Oxboy

Tripe? Fine ok have one, no problem, I like lurcher types I’ve had one. I’m just trying to highlight the potential pitfalls of the breed. They are facts unlike the rose tinted spectacled view you have of the breed. You’ve had 2 ex workers one was older and steadied down and probably a crap worker like the young one you have. If you had a keen worker it could have been a quite different experience for you.
    Lets look at the dog breeds its from.
    3/8 greyhound – working/coursing/hunting dog
    1/4 collie – working dog
    1/4 whippet – working/coursing dog
    1/8 Bedlington terrier – working dog
    That in any book is a working strain bred lurcher.
    All fast dogs which could cover long distances very quickly. The saving grace in that mix up is the collie which is an intelligent dog and easy to train, if its got the collies brains that is!
    Dont make me out to be some kind of idiot who doesnt know dogs, I have had them all my life, know people who use lurchers to hunt, have bred dogs and have a sucessful dog breeder in the family. As well as being a good Gundog trainer myself.
    If the guy wants one thats fine just make sure he gets help training it if he doesnt know what hes doing.
    Thats all.
    Now off to the pub.

hora

If your around allday why not a Collie? Really loyal but need 24/7 company ideally? Greyhound/lurchers have lovely temperaments. So meak (well the ones we’ve met whilst out). Their only downside that I can see is they aren’t very ‘attractive’ to the common punter sadly.

Plus if you manage to find a three legged one you could black up and go to fancy dress parties as pappa lazarou….

tails

i thought title said baking a puppy 😯 don’t know much about dogs get a huge one you can ride.

No offence but every pet collie I have come across has been bonkers, the ones I used to work on the farm are lovely, lovely dogs, just not for me. Wont be chasing a lurcher across fields as I wouldnt catch it even if it was a pug. I expect to train it and will be seeking help with that.

TooTall

With any cross, you are risking getting the worst of each of the breeds in there – and the chance of getting all of them good isn’t great.

TooTall

Oh – working dogs live outside, pets inside. If you are keeping a pack animal outside alone, you are risking it going proper nuts and it not being a pet.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

puppies look like this when they eat tripe….

it’ll sleep outside doesnt mean it will never be in the house

emac65

Wouldn’t have a dog unless I was prepared to let it sleep in the house…..

may I ask why?

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

ours sleeps in the kitchen, and barks when she hears anything.
    perfect.

emac65

may I ask why?

Because I want a pet that’s part of the family so they should be treated as such……

emac65

ours sleeps in the kitchen, and barks when she hears anything.
    perfect

Ours sleeps on the bed at the bottom & snores like fook 😕

Premier Icon LeeW
    Subscriber

First post so please be gentle.

We’ve had sevearal Lurchers in the past and have two at the moment, I’ve found they’re pretty easy to train – with food that is. Excercise wise they pretty easy to walk, if, like one of ours they’re Greyhound based they’ll run around chasing balls, frisbees etc for 20-30min then follow you around at heel for the rest of the walk.

The other is a English Spaniel/Lurcher cross so while not strictly a lurcher we say he is to save arguements, he’ll run and run and run – think carefully what the make up is because they’ll take traits from each doner. Whilst ours want to play with the cat, they can and are likely to chase them, our old one (Deer hound/Greyhound)gave up as soon as it was out of sight though. If it’s a rescue as our are they will have been cat tested before re-homing, if you have a puppy you can train that instinct out – it’s not easy but we have. A lot of rescue dogs have been treated terribly I’ve seen Greyhounds with they’re ears cut off (racers are tatooed in they’re ear for traceability)

They don’t eat much really, they are daft as a brush, they will whine and yelp like they’ve been shot even if you only nearly stand on they’re paw, be prepared to give up your sofa and share your food. They are loyal, loving and full of character. Good luck.

So now back to the reason I joned this forum – back to bikes.

Fair enough, but I reserve the right to say, its a **** dog! Doesnt really matter to the dog if it goes outside to sleep.

LeeW it’ll be the spaniel in it that makes it so full of energy. I’m hoping training wont be too bad, its been a while since I had my own dog, hope the ones I see tomorrow are good otherwise its back to the drawing board.

emac65

I can see why they didn’t let you have a dog now…………

I can see why they didn’t let you have a dog now…………

righto, I think the word is anthropomorphisation, but then my spelling is very poor

emac65

The word I was thinking of only had four letters 8)

Premier Icon LeeW
    Subscriber

Anagallis,

You’re right about the spaniel bit, luckly he has the common sense of a Spainel too, so he was faily easy to train, as I say training Lurchers is quite easy, not Collie or Labardor easy if you get what I mean.

Keeping dogs outside can be good for dogs that tend to get good, thick coats, Akitas etc, as it encourages them to grow thicker. But, depending on the parentage of yours it may be that it just will not grow a thick coat – our Spaniel cross, Jasper doesn’t, he’s almost bald in some areas.

Dogs go mad, collies especially becuase they’re not mentally stimulated/worked enough, they get bored, then crazy.

Premier Icon LeeW
    Subscriber

And on the puppy front, imo go for the quiet one.

goon

Steady on Oxboy, you generalised a step too far, and I wasn’t trying to make you look daft. Admittedly I could have started my response to you better, and for that I apologise.

There could be all manner of characters thrown from that mix. I agree that a puppy is an unknown quantity but don’t put people off the hundreds of fantastic lurchers / sighthounds in rescue after a home.

You’ve had 2 ex workers one was older and steadied down and probably a crap worker like the young one you have.

Ted (younger, current hound) is a terrible worker. He’s ridiculously prey-driven, but so soft-mouthed a working owner would weep. He’s got enough saluki in him to make sure I never have a ‘rose tinted view’ of dogs. He’s doing fine in a pet home. Ali was as keen as mustard, and very ‘successful’ on his walks with us, despite his years, until we convinced him he was retired.

Conclusion – Lurchers and other sighthounds can, and very often do, make fantastic pets / trail dogs. Like any other breed.

Anyway, for a pet go through a good rescue. Get one assessed for your family / lifestyle. There are too many good dogs needing homes.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Buying a puppy’ is closed to new replies.