Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Buying a new XC bike
  • nuck19
    Free Member

Hi all, I recently bought the Canyon Stoic 2 which is a great bike but too aggressive for my needs. On other feeds people have recommended swapping tyres etc but I have decided to sell for a similar price for what I got it for and start again. Am I mad? I am looking for something fun and quicker and for less extreme riding but with some decent components. Someone recommended the Trek Marlin 7. Budget is up to £1000. Any recommendations welcome. Thanks.

thols2

I’m not very familiar with the Trek range, but the Marlin 7 seems to have a pretty low end coil sprung fork. I would at least look at the X-Caliber.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/x-caliber/x-caliber-7/p/33194/?colorCode=bluedark_grey

Giant Talon too:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/talon-29-1

Those are pretty generic XC bikes so all manufacturers make something similar. I would probably get whatever had the best fork.

Jeaster

Radon, a lesser known German manufacturer is worth a look. It’s the house brand of Bike-Discount.de, and very good value for money. This would meet your budget – https://www.radon-bikes.de/en/mountainbike/hardtail/jealous-al/jealous-al-80-2021/

I bought the AL 9.0 at the end of last year, and I’m very happy with it. Very well built and spec’d.

Only problem you might have is getting it into the UK now, for obvious reasons.

slackboy

What don’t you like about this bike?

Draggy Tyres?

Not enough gears?

you’re bike is definitely at the hardcode/trail end and is over specced for just bimbling about.

I think from previous threads you are city based and doing a fair amount of on road and bridleway stuff rather than full on trails, is that right?

Frankly, stock levels are poor right now so i’d be tempted to keep this bike, replace the tyres with some racing ralphs and get a bigger chainring. that would cost about £80-90

If you are set on changing then a Talon or X-Caliber are good options

or take a look at boardmans – although stock is poor

Boardman MHT 8.9 Mountain Bike – S, M, L | Halfords UK

you’ll almost certainly be able to sell your bike quickly

nuck19
    Free Member

It’s draggy yes and the setup feels different to what I’m used to which is longer and speedier. I’m getting old and not cool enough to get into jumps. I realise I could put new tyres on but I have already invested in dropper post and other things and don’t really want to spend more of it’s fundamentally not right for me. As you said, there is already a lot of interest in it. The bike suggestions above look interesting. I’m not sure I can get my hands on the German one and there seems to be one hell of a wait for Trek X Caliber 8 or 9. I want something quick over dirt tracks, fire roads and gravel paths but with a decent fork for small bumps, perhaps not Suntour. I want a 1 x 12 set up as the Canyon doesn’t have enough gears for me.

matt_outandabout

I have decided to sell for a similar price for what I got it for and start again.

I am interested in how you will sell it second hand, without warranty, for similar price?

nuck19
    Free Member

There just seems to be interest there I suppose.

kerley
    Free Member

I am interested in how you will sell it second hand, without warranty, for similar price?

Bikes that are not in stock anyway are fetching very close to new prices but sure that is the case here as the bigger sizes are available soon.

thols2

That Radon that Jeaster linked to looks like a decent bike for the price.

teenrat

The sonder frontier sounds exactly what you’re after, but as with other bikes atm, most options are out of stock, except for a rigid build.

nuck19
    Free Member

Yes seems tough to find a bike at the moment.

nuck19
    Free Member

So I can fit a bigger chain ring on this bike? Would that make a big difference. I don’t get gears! Also by swapping to quicker tyres, would the bike be like the ones suggested above or would the geometry still make it v different? Does that make sense?

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

What about an On One Whippet? Very light, 1×12, very xc.

nuck19
    Free Member

No front suspension on the whippet?

kerley
    Free Member

So I can fit a bigger chain ring on this bike? Would that make a big difference

It would make a small difference because you will only be able to go so far, i.e. 32 to 34 as there won’t be room for say a 40t

Also by swapping to quicker tyres, would the bike be like the ones suggested above or would the geometry still make it v different?

Yes, swapping to an XC tyre , i.e. Continental RaceKing would make the bike feel much faster as the tyres you have are the opposite of XC tyres. I personally wouldn’t find that the geometry would slow me down.

slackboy

Looks like it will take a 30t chain ring max.

Sounds like getting rid and getting something more all purpose is the right approach.

https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-news/all-new-canyon-stoic-hardtail-is-both-aggressively-specced-and-priced/

Sandwich

Run the current bike while finding out from your nearby LBS what’s available and when in your price range.

My new bike will be available in early April, reservation made in late November! Budget was under £1500.

nuck19
    Free Member

What did you go for?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Buying a new XC bike’ is closed to new replies.