Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Buying a new trail bike – suggestions & advice please
  • mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

I’m considering buying a new bike, I didn’t want to have to do it (I love a s/h bargain) but I’m struggling to find anything that will fit me secondhand & I’m horribly impatient, so…

What would you recommend as an all rounder for approx. £2k. I’m thinking something around 140mm travel front & back, but am open to ideas.

I’m small & light so although I’d love something a bit rowdy & confidence inspiring on the way down, I have to be able to pedal it up in the first place so weight is definitely a consideration.

So far, I’m looking at offerings from Canyon & Giant, though there are a few very reduced Kona Hei Hei builds knocking around as well, if anyone else any opinions on them?

All advice & suggestions much appreciated!

(And of course, if anyone has an XS bike they’d consider selling, please let me know!) Thanks!

duncancallum

Look at Paul’s cycles

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/5351/products/gt-sensor-carbon-elite-fs-mountain-bike-2020-lime.aspx

Or rutland you may find a great last year model at a proper price

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

Thanks @duncancallum – I hadn’t come across them before, thanks for the tip!

joebristol

Going to recommend the fs bike I bought in February – a Bird Aether 7. 140mm or 15mm fork / 130mm rear travel. You can customise the spec as you want online or ring Bird up to talk it through.

If you went for a Revelation fork (as it’s lighter weight than a 35 / Yari / Lyrik and cheaper than a Pike) and one of the lower end group sets you can get somewhere near £2k I’d imagine. Deore 12 speed probably the best value option.

The bike isn’t light like a carbon bike would be but your budget probably doesn’t get carbon anywhere – even through YT / Canyon / Radon. It pedals well uphill and absolutely flies downhill. The standard bottom shock is fine – it’s a metric Rockshox Deluxe with 2 compression setting and adjustable rebound / spring ramp (via tokens in the shock).

This is my second Bird and service / support has been amazing all the way through.

chakaping
    Free Member

Canyon seem to do that kind of price bracket really well.

Also maybe have a look at Marin, Cube, Sonder, Bird and Vitus (CRC & Wiggle).

And don’t just look at XS bikes, work out what actual seat tube length you can get away with and check the geometry charts to see which bikes you could fit on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Buying a new trail bike – suggestions & advice please’ is closed to new replies.