Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Buying a new bike over t'internet? Sizing query
  • ElShalimo

I’m interested in a bike on the web but can’t find one locally to sit on. So what’s the best way to tell if it will fit properly?
    My current bike fits really well, 19″ Merlin Malt, so is the effective top tube length the key to it all? Or do I need to consider other things?
    I’ve never bought a bike that I haven’t sat on before so I’m a little nervous to buy before sitting on it.
    Help… and thanks

amplebrew

I’ve always based my bike size on the effective top tube length.

I suppose it depends on what you’re going to be using the bike for and if your worried about the stand over height.

I definately wouldn’t go off just the seat tube length.

Is Merlin able to provide you with the full geometry spec on your current bike?

Having the full details of your current bikes geometry will be helpful for you when comparing different brands.

Jase
    Free Member

Go and sit on a bike locally with the same geometry as you’re looking to buy.

crikey
    Free Member

Remember too, that the geometry of your current bike is only one option; the new bike might be different, but not worse…

ElShalimo

Thanks

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Does no one else think that going into a shop and using their stock (and maybe time and expertise) to get the size of a bike that you’re then going to buy elsewhere is maybe that the mick a bit?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Buying a new bike over t'internet? Sizing query’ is closed to new replies.