Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Buying a house on a private road
  • D0NK

Obviously going to vary case by case, but generally is getting a house on a private road no big deal? Or should I just start throwing money onto the log burner to save myself some hassle and atleast get a bit of warmth out of it?
    Anything general to look out for/ask about?

Seen a house, old stone flagged road at front and a dirt rd to rear 8-10 households share each one

bear-uk
    Free Member

Having had a relitive on a private road all I can tell you is that the road never cost them anything. It was a dirt road, hardly used by heavy traffic. You will not get it gritted or have any street lights maintained by the council for free if it has any.

Do some checks around your area, there’s possibly loads of unadopted/private roads nearby.

Jakester
    Free Member

We are the 6th house on a private road of 6 houses (i.e. the one at the end). Under the terms of our right of way we have to contribute a reasonable proportion of the cost of maintenance.

It’s not heavily trafficed – more a driveway than road – so the residents have sort of left it to wrack and ruin. One resident has decided to get organised and have it resurfaced – quote is about £1250ea at present which we don’t think is unreasonable, albeit we’d probably not bothered having it don’t at present (I think he’s looking to sell up).

Main thing is to ensure you have a right of way and to clarify what parking rights are – just because you can pass and repass that doesn’t necessarily give you a right to park.

<edit> parking is probably the biggest bugbear – the general public tend to just use the entrance to the road as as parking/turning point so you can sometimes find it blocked by a seemingly-abandoned car with no way of passing – that can be annoying!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Watch out for the neighbour who thinks that rather than an even split, the further down you go, you should pay proportionally more if the maintenance costs because you all drive over his bit, but he never drives over yours.

Jakester
    Free Member

Watch out for the neighbour who thinks that rather than an even split, the further down you go, you should pay proportionally more if the maintenance costs because you all drive over his bit, but he never drives over yours.

Yup, I am waiting for this to rear its head – probably from our next door neighbours, who have the largest area of the driveway. TBH it’s not really any skin off ours if it’s done – we have a gravel drive at the end so even if it happens would probably just ask them to do it up to the gravel. Said we’re happy to contribute collectively however – and our ‘bit’ not being done would reduce the overall cost anyway, so hopefully everyone’s happy!

grum
    Free Member

I lived on one in Hebden Bridge, never had any issues, although it got resurfaced just before we bought it so never had to chip in for anything.

D0NK

cheers everyone, doesnt sound like a deal breaker

nickc

Yeah have lived on a very short one. We had 4 houses, and set up an agreement and split any repair costs equally. If anything more needed doing. (There was a tree that had to come down)  it was a quick meeting and a few quotes and we just agreed a course of action. I guess it helped that no one in any of the houses was a dick about it. I can imagine it’s the sort of thing that can cause folk to fall out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Buying a house on a private road’ is closed to new replies.