Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Buying a house next to a petrol station?
  • STATO
    Free Member

Ok, been shown the planning notice, think it was the approval terms/conditions?

Closed outside of 8am-10pm, its only petrol, 1 part time job created apparently? Have seen this before with another local asda store where they basically had a small kiosk with a bored staff member sat in it. Dont think its a petrol station/shop deal.

No fuel deliveries outside hours (tho i suppose nothing stopping the lorry turning up at 6.30 and waiting.

Lights off at 10pm.

Sound levels to be controlled.

etc.

All conditions stipulated due to nearby housing.

So sounds like it scraped through by having many conditions applied to it, but as stated by others i suppose you have to wonder how long it will take for them to wriggle out of.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

24hr garage = 24hr Ginsters pasties and Fridge Raiders

pk13

How do you control noise. Signs ‘please slam door quietly and turn down the base’

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    milky1980
    Free Member

Mrs Toast – Asda have a fully automated petrol station in Cardiff (Leckwith). All Pay At Pump, watched by CCTV and is 24H. Calls it’s own fuel deliveries as needed. They’re looking to add more in the area.

As others have said, I wouldn’t buy it. And I’m desperate to get a place of my own!!

tron
    Free Member

A mate lives next to a mini Tesco. There’s constant noise from cars starting, revving, doors banging, drunk people using the cash machine etc. Add in the pollution factor and there’s no way you’d get me living next to a petrol station.

IanW
    Free Member

No no and no.

andyl
    Free Member

Just think of the chavs/hoodies hanging round the door just out of shot of the CCTV eyeing everyone up and trying to look ‘ard in the evenings. Joy!

Sandwich

Re: Planning Conditions

No supermarket has ever ignored restrictions concerning their operations have they? Like building the store too big and sticking two fingers up to the council.

Ignoring restrictions on delivery times for convenience store.

That’s just 2. Don’t bother buying.

konabunny
    Free Member

No. Wouldn’t buy. Wouldn’t trust the council restrictions on operation. Wouldn’t trust them not to upgrade with a full shop later. Would get driven nuts by the beeping of the air machine.

hot_fiat

It’s asda Walmart. They have a fantastic reputation for looking after the local community and environment. What could possibly go wrong?

pondo

Mrs Toast – Asda have a fully automated petrol station in Cardiff (Leckwith). All Pay At Pump, watched by CCTV and is 24H

Same in Birmingham (Barnes Hill), I think – station looks out on it’s own, will check next time I’m there, deffo no obvious attended kiosk.

satchm00
    Free Member

Anyone have a clue how much this may affect house price?

Not knowing the finer details, I think it will struggle when he would come to sell.

Sounds like an ideal buy to let to students though, long term investment.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Its an asda so no store ergo no passing custom. Tanker drivers do like to lie up for early dump and run missions but most likely would kip in the main car park.

Still wouldn’t though…

onehundredthidiot

Fully automatic one near me. No booth no attendant.

hora
    Free Member

Lots of traffic.

Lovely sitting in the back garden?.

Would I rent one? No. Plenty of alternatives on the market.

OP ask him- if hes a desperate type does he often approach the ugliest girls in bars too?

STATO
    Free Member

Nice of Hora to lower the tone, thanks for that.

So yes none of you would buy one, it might struggle to sell. But if its cheap it will sell, just needs to be cheap enough. Plenty of other houses next to petrol stations sell. Id suggest the ones not selling are simply not cheap enough. People buy houses overlooking motorways for example, I looked at some (out of interest), owners were giving tiny nominal reductions, some even sold, others had to drop a significant amount but were then snapped up.

I was looking for examples of appropriate reduction in other areas, all the commenters above, the houses that you turned down or saw not sell, when they did sell (they more than likely will have sold eventually) how much was it for?

prettygreenparrot

No. There’ll be other houses to buy that will sell easier when the time comes to move.

hora
    Free Member

Nice of Hora to lower the tone, thanks for that.

Why, as a first time buyer is he that desperate to get onto the property ladder? If he can’t find a decent place to live in for the next few years (lets face it he’ll be wiped out savings-wise and other expenses so wont be moving anytime soon) he should continue to rent.

When he comes to buying his next property he’ll have a problem. He’ll have a chain and a undesirable house in that chain that he needs to attract attention for in the face of competition. He’ll be the weak link in the chain wont he?

IF hes worried about the ‘best deals’ being pulled now due to the bubble approaching then he should pause and reflect. I bet hes stretching himself just to get into this undesirable house already?

Why do people buy houses next to Pylons, petrol stations or motorways?

The same people who buy basement level Skoda’s and say its a VW underneath? They aint bargains, just next to grim locations.

Personally I don’t think now is the right time to buy. Its just before the burst (Jan/Feb 2015), property prices correction.

mrhoppy

I’d be wanting ground remediation protection from the seller for migrating contamination, with a baseline survey now at their expense and a regular monitoring regime put in place as part of the deal and a reduction of 25+%. But realistically I’d be walking away now.

STATO
    Free Member

Why do people buy houses next to Pylons, petrol stations or motorways?
    The same people who buy basement level Skoda’s and say its a VW underneath? They aint bargains, just next to grim locations.

True, but they do buy them, it is a market. What if the house went for 30% less then others in the area? If you put that on the market someone would buy it, some people just don’t care what’s outside their door (I do tho). Would probably sell quicker than anything else!

FYI the garage would be out the back of the house, about 4ft or more lower than the garden and a large ‘blast wall’ is required in the plans. Water lever, contamination checks etc all in the planning too.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

On the other hand – there’s already have a whopping great supermarket virtually in the (decently sized) back garden and it’s on a reasonably busy road – it’s never going to be a great family home, but the petrol station isn’t going to create a significant level of additional disamenity. I’d be looking to get some concessions towards building a garage at the rear.

marky29er
    Free Member

Rented next to one before when I was poor, never again.
    Noise, lots of it. Mostly barryboys playing their car radios loud as garages also seem to be a late night meeting point for morons.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Mrs Toast – Asda have a fully automated petrol station in Cardiff (Leckwith). All Pay At Pump, watched by CCTV and is 24H. Calls it’s own fuel deliveries as needed. They’re looking to add more in the area.

Bloody technology, rendering students useless! Back in my day Tesco had just introduced card readers on the pumps – we spent quite a bit of time retrieving ones that got stuck…

So sounds like it scraped through by having many conditions applied to it, but as stated by others i suppose you have to wonder how long it will take for them to wriggle out of.

Yeah – the Tesco I worked at had lots of objections to the council from local residents when they applied to go 24 hour. They still went 24 hour. They also had a dead body on site for 8 months because they kept on ignoring local residents’ complaints about a terrible smell. Generally big supermarkets aren’t the most considerate neighbours.

Vern0n
    Free Member

No, for all the reasons above. Also mortgage provider options may be limited as some have restrictions on nearby businesses etc. Could be an issue for your friend and also future resale in terms of providers / rate premium.

Better of buying tip somewhere else with less issues…

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Buying a house next to a petrol station?’ is closed to new replies.