Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Buying a guitar again after a long while
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

I know there are quite a few guitarists on this forum so thought I’d ask for some advice.

I used to play quite a lot but due to a mixture of reasons, circumstances and realising that I was never going to be a rock star I haven’t played for about 10 years or so and sold my main electric a good while back. I’ve decided that I would like to pick it all up again and keep my hand in but subsequently need a new electric.

I used to play an Epiphone Sheraton and really liked the feel and sound but I don’t really want to spend that much cash again so I’m looking for something under the £300 mark but that feels and sounds ok. I’m unlikely to ever be playing anything other than for myself at home so don’t really need anything too flash.

I’ve been thinking about one of the Squier offerings and have recently spotted (via a thread on here) that they are going to be doing a Jaguar. I’ve always loved the look of the Jag but having never played one and having heard mixed reports about their sound and playability I’m a little unsure whether that would be the right move or whether I’d be better off with a Strat or even a Tele.

Has anyone got any thoughts, advice or suggestions for alternatives worth considering? I’m pretty out of touch with what is good so maybe missing a really good option.

flip
    Free Member

You gotta go down the shop and try them, for me the Tele is the do all guitar, from rock to jazz, does it all 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Have a play on a few Squiers, they’re actually not bad guitars for the money but just make sure you play one as you could end up with a not so great one. Vintage guitars are also really good, played one of their SG copies, a PRS copy and a strat copy and would quite happily own any of them!

chipps

Try something like a PRS SE* or an Epiphone 339 (it’s like a shrunken 335 and £299) or a Squier anything! (how about the J.Mascis Jazzmaster for £300 ish?). There are some fantastic guitars out there.

I’ve got a PRS SE singlecut for sale if you’re interested 😉

stevehine

Buy a 2nd hand Hohner SE35 – £200 ish off eBay. Lovely guitar to play and well worth the cash. Better than a squire or an epiphone by a distance imho

metalheart
    Free Member

Have a look at Tokai too.

Better than the equivalent epiphone or squier IMHO…

emsz
    Free Member

Played a 339 a while back, it’s got a nice bite to the sound. It’s not a “telecaster” sound y’know? Jazz/blues. Cool, and it’s nice and small. LOL

_tom_
    Free Member

Have a look at Tokai too.

Better than the equivalent epiphone or squier IMHO…

Could be onto something here. I have a Pearl (yes the drum brand) Les Paul made in the same Japanese factory in the 70s as the good Tokais from that era and it’s an amazing guitar. Only cost me £250 and it’s probably better than my Epiphone and Gibson (though I did have to put in some better pickups and change all the pots/switch etc)! It’s all mahogany and with humbucker size p90s in it’s incredible 🙂

banks
    Free Member

Got an epiphone sg – ended up as my do it all guitar from thin lizzy to the chameleons – brand new in 2005 for 300quid too

matthew_h
    Free Member

Nice one, cheers people, some good suggestions there and definitely the kind of advice re Tokai and Hohner that I was looking for. Hohner I know and know they’re decent but I wouldn’t have thought of Tokai as I thought there were a bit crap. Seems I was wrong.

CaptainSlow

Have a look at Chipps’ PRS as that will be a v good instrument if the price is right compared to the Squire.

Also you are close to MIM strat money so play a few of those as well if you can.

Have you considered anything from Jackson, ibanez or LTD?

I wouldn’t worry too much about linking the budget to the fact you only intend playing at home. Buy an instrument you like and buy the best you can afford and if you choose well it will be with you many years.

What amp are you going for?

plumber
    Free Member

Buy the one you’re going to play

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Buying a guitar again after a long while’ is closed to new replies.