Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Buying a fixer upper house, need some advice on fixing it up
  • lovewookie

@dovebiker

How are the self build timber framed houses as in your link that much different from what’s there already, if it’s in decent nick?
    I mean 60 years on, but surely a frame allows any modern materials to fill the skin?

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’ll be built on an insulated dpc’ foundation

It’ll have relevent breather membranes and a designed insulation package with calculated dew point to be in a proper place rather

It’ll be of standard construction

It has airtightness standards

It’ll be designed for year round living

It will be structurally sound -that roof structure appears to offer very little in the way of holding the walls together from what the pictures show and more so any significant snow load on the roof looks to be forcing the walls apart -unless I’m missing something from the roof structure. – or the rooms are significantly smaller than the camera makes them look

It’ll have electrics and plumbing to code

It’ll be sellable at the end for a value

The sample set of people above all saying be wary are a fair representation of people you’d likely be trying to sell to at the other end.

I like a project as much as the next guy and grew up in and around projects and I’d have that for a cheap holiday home (not that I regard 100k cheap) but as a year round house…..naw.

Re trades. That’s the sort of location my dad would have gone and lived on site in the week to work on. Due to the lack of people willing to do that – it was strong money that made it worth doing – so the folk above are right to warn about trade access

Also it’ll be designed with a life span in mind . A holiday chalet would never have been designed with more than about A 20 year life span.

dave28
    Free Member

good cycling round the peninsula ,
    some trades are not that fond of the drive round even though its not that far . i work round that way sometimes . its a nice area . not far from from helensburgh
    lots of people with air source heat round there ,

dave28
    Free Member

the building supplier in helensburgh deliver round there . even though a few trades wont travel there are a few locals in the same area . and if you are needing trades dumbarton helensburgh tradesman will travel round, it takes about forty mins from dumbarton

keith74

It’s within commuting distance of some of the biggest employers in the area (coil port and faslane) so if was an easy project would of sold well before now.

Also the grants from home energy Scotland are not much use.Have been through the application process recently would guess air source heating wouldn’t work with out full insulation and windows which you won’t get grants for so bit of a non starter unless your unemployed or on benefits of some sort.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Look at the shape of the house.

Look at the cladding above the conservatory.

Then scroll down the street to the White House at the bottom. Similar profile similar cladding.

I suspect your looking at that with a brick fascade.

Still keen ?
    The video also makes the internal walls look like they are made out of back to back plaster board. Andooking at the window detailing the external walls don’t look much better.

Have you actually been to and inside the property

squirrelking
    Free Member

I do wonder if the Argyll and Bute, no covid cases then boom, lots, has had anything to do with lack of interest. Possibly not, but don’t know.

Probably more down to the fact it’s an hours round trip to Helensburgh or up to two and a half to Glasgow (assuming you don’t have to contend with golf traffic in summer or flooding at Bowling in winter) with not much to show for £100k other than a view of Inverclyde and a house that needs completely redoing. Personally, if I was spending that I’d want something with a bit more substance.

Looking at the area, you’re buying the land and not much else. Whether you can live with the look of the place is up to you but if you ever want to sell…

lovewookie

Have you actually been to and inside the property

nope, we saw it advertised on friday and were arranging a viewing for early this week, but they got back to us to say it sold on friday!

could have dodged a bullet. could have been OK for us, don’t know. It was lived in full time, so the idea it was a holiday property wasn’t right. home report was OK. roof was standard construction, but the walls, being timber frame were not. I think any timber frame would be regarded as non standard (i.e. not stone, brick or block).

A holiday chalet would never have been designed with more than about A 20 year life span.

it’s stood there for 60-80 years. pretty sure if it was going to fall down it would have by now.

Probably more down to the fact it’s an hours round trip to Helensburgh or up to two and a half to Glasgow

30-45 mins to helensburgh and about 1h 15 to my work in bishopbriggs, if I need to get there.

anyway, its gone, we are still looking and have included plots too, as self build may well be the way to get something we want, though grand designs it will not be, I also hope that grand designs problems it will not have (as many of). 🙂

duncancallum

Some great kits out there for self build stuff that’s for sure.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pretty sure timber frame is a standard construction or there are a lot of unmortgageable new builds out there. Just depends on the method used I think.

30-45 mins to helensburgh and about 1h 15 to my work in bishopbriggs, if I need to get there.

Round trip, not each way 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

be interesting to see what happens to it going forward…..

” I think any timber frame would be regarded as non standard (i.e. not stone, brick or block).”

Thats not the case and is why i believe its a modified holiday chalet .

but moot point anyway

be interested to see how long till its knocked down

Rockape63
    Free Member

Must admit when I clicked on the link….my immediate reaction was YIKES!

The only reason you wouldn’t knock it down, is because you need to live in it for a while, before you knock it down!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Buying a fixer upper house, need some advice on fixing it up’ is closed to new replies.