Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Buying a cheap frame in the USA and getting it home
  • rhysw
    Free Member

How easy is it to bring a new bike back from the USA with out paying any import tax?
    Are they that cheaper?
    I’m going to California and I’m after a Santa Cruz frame.
    Is it as easy as taking a old crap bike out in a bag, leaving it out there and bring you new one back?

Cheers

thegeneralist
    Free Member

slight contradiction between your title and post detail. But assuming you either mean buy a full bike out there or leave the frame from your old bike out there then Yes , that’s it really.

Plus a bit of chutzpah.

d45yth
    Free Member

No need to take one out with you. Just fetch the new one back in a suitcase rather than a bike bag/box. Try to make the frame look used and say it was second hand if anyone asks.

rhysw
    Free Member

Sorry for the confusion.
    I want to buy a frame out the states and bring it back.
    I thought I’d have to take something out with me to be able to bring a new one home.
    Can you fit a frame into a suitcase?

chakaping
    Free Member

You might need to buy a hacksaw too.

d45yth
    Free Member

Sorry for the confusion.
    I want to buy a frame out the states and bring it back.
    I thought I’d have to take something out with me to be able to bring a new one home.
    Can you fit a frame into a suitcase?

No confusion here. Is it a full-sus you’re thinking of buying? If so, you just take the swingarm off. If not, you need a bigger suitcase. 😀

EDIT: Post any receipts or documentation back home too.

mickolas
    Free Member

won’t somebody please think of the warranty? 😥

Leku
    Free Member

won’t somebody please think of the tax evasion? 🙁

mickolas
    Free Member

yes indeed! The poor, poor taxman

😥

EDIT – my first clicky; took a few edits but got there in the end

khani
    Free Member

It is indeed terrible, if another few hundred thousand people like you did this google and amazon might have to pay tax instead…
    You’re a bad person…

bland

Male it look secondhand and don’t carry receipts, think SC Warranties are universal no?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

ride it when you’re there then it’s legitamelly used

rhysw
    Free Member

I’m after frame only

caspian
    Free Member

Find a freight forwarder, book some space in a consolidated container, buy ten SC frames and give that monopoly Jungle a run for their money. Plus pay duties and sleep well at night. I’d love a new carbon tallboy frame but I cannot pay 2600 or whatever it is now

d45yth
    Free Member

ride it when you’re there then it’s legitamelly used

I’m after frame only

Use you imagination! Put some grease in the B/B threads and rub a bit of mud on the rest of it (or dust). 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep you could, if you get caught up in customs then the price will within £100 of the UK price.
    By all means do it but remember it’s tax evasion (ie the illegal version)

granny_ring

Take old frame and the components you want to put on the new frame, dump old frame and get shop to build up the ‘new’ bike, go ride, then bring the 2nd hand bike back home….

justatheory
    Free Member

How much cheaper are we talking?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Buying a cheap frame in the USA and getting it home’ is closed to new replies.