Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Buying a car on Facebook- legit?
  • neilthewheel

It looks just the job and the price is good. The reg, MOT and mileage all check out on DVLA . The owner’s profile is, um…interesting and he has done “time “. He appears to buy and sell from a lock-up on his street. What says the stw mind?

Drac

neilthewheel

☝🏻Doesn’t even look that legitimate

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomaso
    Free Member

Caveat Emptor is all your responsibility.

I take it he is a trader but offers none of the benefits of a trader, such as a warranty or reputation? I would say the price reflects this gamble.

My current car was off a shady geezer in Blackburn that just flipped trade ins on. They were the less perfect with patchy history. It was a reasonable gamble and he took my Jazz with suspected power steering issues as PX…

martinhutch

I’d be interested in the provenance of any parts he’s stuck in it, and good luck if it goes pop five miles down the road. Total gamble on your part, depends how cheap it is, and how much you can afford to lose all of it.

So it’s a no from me!

FuzzyWuzzy

Unless it was for throw-away money (unlikely) then not a chance

neilthewheel

Its a semi automatic Peugeot Tepee 1.6 diesel se 2012, 120k miles. He wants £2600 whereas comparable model at dealerships are 6 to £8k. How bad would it have to be for this to be a bad deal?

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Have you hpi checked it?

vinnyeh

He wants £2600 whereas comparable model at dealerships are 6 to £8k

Not with  120000 miles they won’t be. The price looks about what I’d expect without any dealer to run to if it goes TU. Do your due diligence and hope for the best.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If it seems too cheap to be true, theres probably a reason, and not a good one at that. By all means take a look, but be prepared to walk away.

neilthewheel

Have you hpi checked it?

Is this still a thing? What will it tell me that the DVLA website didn’t?

neilthewheel

RAC check is all clear. 4 previous owners. They suggest private buyers value of 3.5k Dealership £4.5k

I will check the gearbox shifts ok and the rear shocks aren’t borked as it has a towbar.

duncancallum

If it’s a write off if it’s finance clear.

Is go in eyes open. Got a garage or a mate in the trade to go in with you n crawl round it?

duncancallum

Oh check svc history they’re prone to turbo failure due to infrequent oil changes

neilthewheel

Cheers for that dunc, don’t want another of those!

duncancallum

It’s worth a look like I say.

Most stuff I see on FB like that’s been bumped n fixed on the cheap there’s nothing inherently wrong doing it just some people don’t do it right

Got a link?

tomaso
    Free Member

Yeah, we need a link to see if it is a bargain or a munter 🙂

neilthewheel

Just been to see it. Absolutely minging. Some new definition of “excellent condition inside and out “ that I didn’t previously know about, I suppose.

duncancallum

Walks like a duck….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Buying a car on Facebook- legit?’ is closed to new replies.