Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Buying a bike – Paying by Paypal Gift?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I know this has been covered a lot from the sellers point of view ie never sell a bike without using full Paypal, but does the same spooky for buying a bike?

I will be parting with £600, if i pay by Paypal Gift, what happens if I send the money and nothing turns up?

If I use full Paypal will the seller be charged fees?

Thanks

Edit: Just searched threads on here and Paypal Gift no longer exists… Now friends & family or some thing similar? Anyhow questions still the same..

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

dont – collect or meet and pay.

Er

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s mostly been covered from the buyers point of view.

I will be parting with £600, if i pay by Paypal Gift, what happens if I send the money and nothing turns up?

You have parted with £600, you can try a few things but normally you have not got £600 or a bike.

PayPal is a business, they want to take a cut of the transaction. If I recall correctly it’s 2.4% which is £14.

For gift the Sender pays the fees*
    For Normal the Buyer pays the fees*

*Depending on how the money is sourced etc.

If it’s the buyer asking for PPG then offer to do normal PP but cover the fees.

More advice available £9.99 PPG only to the e-mail in my profile.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Don’t do it… I use it a lot but only for amounts money that I can afford to lose.

Either pay the fees (although I don’t think there’s that much coverage outside of eBay) or as suggested, meet or collect.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Collecting isn’t really an option, the bikes 200 miles away.

I’ve sold bikes before and posted them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If the buyer is asking for ppg – id start by telling him to do one.

You are selling stuff … Price it accordingly if you want to use paypal.

spooky_b329

Seller: No issues with using paypal gift except that you are being a tightwad and putting off buyers.

Buyers: Its probably safer to send a bundle of £50’s through the post, at least you have (someones) address this way, which you don’t with Paypal gift.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Its strange people wont spend the money to protect their money. To me a few quid spent meeting is good insurance I wont loose all my money and I get to see the bike before parting with cash. I have bought bikes preloved and met before I handed over the cash.

You not seen the other threads about this?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The bike was on eBay but didnt sell (it was pick up only) I emailed the seller after the auction had finished saying would he post etc.

I have spoken to the seller a couple of times and he ‘sounds’ genuine. I will insist on full PayPal though, not that he was saying it had to be gift…

It was really my thoughts of what extra protection do you actually get fir using full PayPal as a buyer.

spooky_b329

You get a fair level of protection (if seller that doesn’t go out of their way to miss lead paypal during a claim) against faulty/miss described goods, and good protection against scammers where no goods exist. Note levels of protection vary depending on whether the seller is verified/has confirmed their address, I think. Which it will tell you before you pay.

Don’t mention gift/fees. Its standard the seller pays, its just on here that people seem to try their luck and request gift, or that the buyer covers the fees despite the fact its saving the seller from going to cash a cheque.

DrP

Ask for a photo of the seller – if he has an eye mask and swag bag, avoid….

DrP

mrelectric

The address “Confirmed” is essential.
    PPG: as above for tightwads or for amounts you can afford to lose. I’d Offer to pay PP fees.

bigrich

why not bank transfer? because you’ll have the bank details, and be able to trace the seller, that’s why.

only 200 miles? go for a nice day out.

Drac

PayPal Gift warning

We strongly advise that you do not use PayPal Gift (also know as Personal Payments) as this service is intended for friends and family and does not provide the protection of standard Paypal transactions.

br
    Free Member

Collecting isn’t really an option, the bikes 200 miles away.

Is it worth £600 to make the journey?

And I’m guessing its s/h, what are you going to do if it’s not as ‘advertised’?

bruneep

I’ve used PP FF loads on here for people I “know” no issues whatever do your research first, eBay however it’s not so easy to check them out. Fees on a £600 bike will be around the £21 mark so its a small price to pay if you really want the bike.

As said 200miles isn’t that far, I’d travel to view it just in case there are any hidden issues. I’d get him to meet half way if he’s that keen and a genuine seller.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I cannot believe that after ALL the posts about people on here being screwed over by paying PPG that people are STILL asking if its ok to use.
    Simple question, can you afford to lose £600?
    Yes? Pay by PPG
    No? Pay by a more secure method or go meet up.

*walks off muttering and shaking head*

monkeyboyjc

Now this is going to dissagree with what most people think on here, Paypal gift is safe IF you pay by credit card rather than your paypal balance or debit card.

If the goods dont turn up you can do a charge back through the credit card company and get your money back (less fees).

The reason most sellers use ‘gift’ or ‘family and friends’ is that it transfers the fees on to the buyer not the seller. Its better to come with some sort of arangement with the seller where you’ll pay with full paypal but you’ll also pay 50% of the sellers fees.

However, the best policy will always be to collect in person.

tomaso
    Free Member

Aidy
    Free Member

You are selling stuff … Price it accordingly if you want to use paypal.

I dunno, I think it’s reasonable to be pricing things on the basis of “this is how much I want to be left with”. It’s not like the people we’re talking about are professional sellers, just people shifting on a few spare bits.

I’ve bought a fair few things by meeting up with people, pricing things to include transaction fees seems a bit less transparent.

sadexpunk

Now this is going to dissagree with what most people think on here, Paypal gift is safe IF you pay by credit card rather than your paypal balance or debit card.

If the goods dont turn up you can do a charge back through the credit card company and get your money back (less fees).
    not wishing to argue for the sake of it, as i cant verify that im right, but how would you claim your money back from the cc company for a gift? “excuse me, i gave my friend £600 as a gift, but he didnt give me anything back in return. can you reimburse me please?”

i just assume that in the eyes of the law, youve given someone some money for nothing, a gift. yes, WE know its for a bike, but the cc company/police etc assume its a gift?

is that not the case? genuinely surprised if not.

mattbee

How is it hard to price taking fees into acount?
    Most people pay by Paypal nowadays.
    Hmm. I want to sell my wheels for about £100. Fees and faff will probably add a bit so I’ll either add a bit to the price and sell for £105 or I’ll ask the buyer to cover the fees if I’m a money grabbing tightwad twunt. I’ll probably post them at the end of the month when the balance is in my bank account, second class wrapped in old chip wrappers too….

Aidy
    Free Member

I’m not sure I see the point in doing paypal gift by credit card. You still end up paying transaction fees then. That seems like the worst of both worlds.

Aidy
    Free Member

Hmm. I want to sell my wheels for about £100. Fees and faff will probably add a bit so I’ll either add a bit to the price and sell for £105 or I’ll ask the buyer to cover the fees if I’m a money grabbing tightwad twunt.

How is it better to sell for £105 rather than £100 and asking the buyer to cover fees?!

(And the fees on £100 are £3.73 – so being a “money grabbing tightwad twunt” would net you less money).

mattbee

What I’m trying to say, and what I suspect in typical STW style you are deliberatley misunderstanding to propogate an argument is that if you actually want to realise x for an item but the fees are y why not just advertise it for sale at x+y? As in ‘factor in the fees in your sale price’?
    Sigh. Sometimes posting on here is like poking your fingers through the bars on the monkey cage. You know that all evidence points to you getting bitten but something inside you hopes you’ll get to stroke a nice cute furry monkey. You get bitten. Only difference being a lack of H&S compliant signs on the walls. (Unlike the ones about Paypal…)

dannybgoode

Paypal Gift isn’t legally defined within the Consumer Credit Act as far as I know.

If you can prove to your credit card co that you entered into an agreement to purchase goods and paid for them with that credit card I’m pretty sure the consumer credit act will apply.

Whether you sent the money via PPG is irrelevant I think so long as you have an audit trail (i.e emails to and from the seller confirming the basis of the transaction).

What PPG doesn’t give you is the Paypal protection which as far as I can tell always sides with the buyer, the seller generally gets shafted but Paypal’s own protection is separate and distinct from things like the CCA.

If you read STW’s warning it even suggests this ‘…and does not provide the protection of standard Paypal transactions.’. Says nothing about UK legal rights.

Cheers

Danny B

Aidy
    Free Member

I just don’t see how it’s better to factor in the fees to your price over asking the buyer to cover the fees. Effect is the same, buyer’s still covering the fees.

stevepitch
    Free Member

I’m calling troll

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I just don’t see how it’s better to factor in the fees to your price over asking the buyer to cover the fees. Effect is the same, buyer’s still covering the fees.

Man walks into shop, picks up packet of crisps that cost 50p, goes to pay shop keeper then asks him to pay 57p to cover the cost or reaching over and taking the money…

Advertise the price, offer discount for cash on collection if you want.

user-removed
    Free Member

I bought a bike from the classifieds a month ago and paid using PayPal. The seller hadn’t said anything about fees, so I paid by normal PayPal and chucked in a little extra to cover half the fees, which seemed fair to me.

Locked in a PayPal dispute now as said bike arrived in pieces and fit for the bin. PayPal gift / friends and family is plain silly if you don’t know someone.

Aidy
    Free Member

I’m calling troll

Um, well, you can if you like.

Man walks into shop, picks up packet of crisps that cost 50p, goes to pay shop keeper then asks him to pay 57p to cover the cost or reaching over and taking the money…

Fees for paying via credit card for orders under £5 (or £10) or whatever in small convenience stores are not unusual.

patriotpro
    Free Member

A mate o mine is currently looking to buy a 2nd hand bike and is pricing up the travel costs and using it as a bartering tool.

I.e Bike up for £600, travel costs =£50 so he offers £550 for bike and explains this to seller, if they don’t like it he moves on to the next one.

Why anyone still faffs about with paypal trying to save £15 or whatever when they’re sending £100s to a stranger beats me.

Just go and collect, if it’s too far, then buy another.

scaredypants

Sigh. Sometimes posting on here is like poking your fingers through the bars on the monkey cage. You know that all evidence points to you getting bitten but something inside you hopes you’ll get to stroke a nice cute furry monkey

It’s a particular problem when you call the monkey a money grabbing tightwad twunt, I imagine

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fees for paying via credit card for orders under £5 (or £10) or whatever in small convenience stores are not unusual.

I was thinking that when I was typing but normally there is a massive hand written sign…

Aidy
    Free Member

I was thinking that when I was typing but normally there is a massive hand written sign…

True. Perhaps the clearest, and fairest, way is for people to advertise cost, and state the fee should the buyer wish to pay via PayPal.

officialtob
    Free Member

Def go and collect it and pay cash 🙂 I drove from Cardiff to Leeds to collect a bike. It may have cost me £50-odd in fuel, but theres nothing like a good nice look over it, picking it up, prodding it, etc etc. You can always change your mind too if you’re not happy.

Always good to meet fellow STW’ers in the flesh too, and you instantly get some idea on how the bike has been treated in the past. PLUS, you can avoid the dreaded potential courier horror stories.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

totally agree with officaltob, drove a 700 mile round trip, but i got to see the bike, test ride it, meet the seller in person and got a much better idea of how the bike was treated. and now i have the bike of my dreams, – the guy even threw in a couple of Maxxis tyres, handlebars and a load of rock oil goodies – so totally worth it

thank you StuJenks you are a legend

cost me £100 in diesel, plus those 700 miles in depreciation though – so in that sense the Paypal/ebay fees are very reasonable for peice of mind

monkeyboyjc

Danny B – exactly right.

I did say my post will dissagree with most people on here!

Paying by credit card provides you with an extra level of protection over standard paypal. In addition paypal will generally always side with the credit card companies over sellers – unfortunately this leaves huge flaws open for fraudulent buyers. The ebay forums are full of sellers being ripped off by charge back scams.

Personally I have used paypal gift in the past to buy and sell items,but I also respect the risks of doing so.

scaredypants

If the seller specifies the means of payment then they should bear the cost of it, as that’s implicit in the request. If they don’t, why should anyone assume that they’re anticipating any reduction ?

We don’t have traders on here ( 😆 🙄 ) so using analogies about shops is inappropriate; private sellers shouldn’t be expected to fund buyer protection IMO

Personally, I’d be quite wary of paypal in any guise in future – if a dishonest buyer pays the fee and then claims that the item was undelivered or faulty, I’m likely to lose the money. If they pay by gift, we had the example the other day whereby you can still tell a lie and scam your money back (presumably this ultimately comes from the sellers account even if PP refunded it initially)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Buying a bike – Paying by Paypal Gift?’ is closed to new replies.