• This topic has 28 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by jiff.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Buying 2nd hand Santa Cruz Blur LTC. Anything to look for?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

I’m looking at a Blur LTC and was wondering if there are any recurring problems to watch out for? Also, how do people rate them? Are they as good to ride as they look? Cheers folks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes….

Is it the 135mm QR model?

From building a new one, look for cable rubs on the chainstays and on the disc side check for 180mm disc clattering/chips (max rotor size) the linkages have grease ports so ask for the SC Grease gun that comes with the frame (very nice bit of kit)

After that enjoy!

br
    Free Member

Take off the shock, and then check the bearings/bushings etc.

dingabell
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s 135mm or QR. Were the earlier ones QR then? Is it just a case of these ones being a bit less stiff at the back? How do they ride in general?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

135mm QR is the last one, the latest is 142 – read or charcoal I think. barely needs the 142 bolt as stiff anyway.

Rode it back to back with a nomad and it did everything just the same Great up, great down.

haggis1978

I just bought a 2nd hand LTc a few months back. Great bit of kit and IMO better than the Ellsworth Epiphany it replaced. Or at least more suited to my riding Pretty much as Mikewsmith said. look out for scrapes, bearings etc. You’ll be able to tell if its had a lot of use as the finish does chip off quite easily especially around the lower linkage. Easily visible if you get the silvery blue one like mine. If running a dropper post check that its helitaped in all the right places as the cable outers can rub away the finish. Check its got the small silver chainstay gaurd as well. These do seem to come off fairly easily though as i just lost mine going round Glentree black. New one is £8 from SantaCruzUK

wilko1999
    Free Member

Considering one of these as well, might even be the same one! How do current owners find the bike on long, demoralising, fire-road, lane type climbs? I realise its not the bike’s natural habitat, but a lot of the riding I do is natural technical DH-orientated stuff, often punctuated with long climbs back up. Do they suffer from excessive pedal-bob? I’ve ridden an LT ali and liked it, but only downhill, and not for too long

wrecker
    Free Member

I find that the bike needs the propedal setting on climbs, something which my DW 5 spot didn’t. With the firm PP setting, it climbs really well IMHO (as well as the 5 spot). Very stiff, very active, corners are where the things earns its coin.

dingabell
    Free Member

Wilko1999-these are rubbish bikes and I wouldn’t bid on one in a million years (especially the one I’m looking at :wink:)

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ah, thanks for the useful info belly, I’ll make absolutely sure I don’t bid on it then!

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Loved mine as it was built more for xc but could go fly down as well as up

deserter
    Free Member

I just built a 2nd hand one and it got its maiden voyage yesterday, absolutely loved it, as said above I put pro pedal on 3 for climbing and it climbed really well and with pro pedal off it flew downhill and went round corners like it was on rails

I wasn’t really fancying it tbh so knocked it up with spare bits I had lying around, I’m going to treat it to some fancy bits now though as its a keeper

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Slight hijack, if the bidding gets too hot, I’m selling a medium standard BLT frame (black, anodised)

jiff
    Free Member

Dingabell,

I have a an LTc frame (large) up for grabs complete with Monarch can. It’s only a few years old, has had little use and in nice condition. Also Fox forks 120-150 available too.

E-mail in profile if you’re interested. Failing that, I think it’s the obligatory ebay ….

wrecker
    Free Member

What’s the asking on that jiff?

scottalej
    Free Member

I recently built up a second hand 2010 frame. It’s black so the few chips and marks aren’t noticeable unlike the coloured options. The coating on the frame chips quite easily so I think a coloured one would look scruffy after a few years. I’m 5’11” and despite being a large frame I find it a little (0.5-1”) too short in the top tube. I’m running an 80mm stem at the moment. I often feel a bit ‘perched’ on it. I’d like to try or buy an XL frame.
    The only issue I’ve had is with the Fox shock. Like all Fox suspension it needs a good thump to get it moving so it wasn’t absorbing smaller bumps. I spent £150 getting it PUSH tuned but it still isn’t nearly as good as a 6 year old Manitou Swinger X3 on my Orange 5. Lots of Fork Juice makes a bigger difference. Maybe the originally used Monarch shock is better.
    It’s a very capable and responsive technical climber but, on those long fire road style climbs, it feels inert and heavier than it is. The Orange for example, although 2-3lbs heavier, feels keener to climb. The reality is the Blur would be at the top sooner though.
    Downhill it’s brilliant but again would be better for me if it was a little longer so I feel I’m ‘in’ the bike more.
    The frame and swingarm are incredibly stiff so it goes exactly where you want it and the back wheel doesn’t try and take a different course on technical trails like the Orange does.
    As mentioned, make sure you get the grease gun and also check the grease nipples haven’t been damaged. The lower shock bushes wear out quickly. I’m trying a RWC needle bearing in there now.

nonk
    Free Member

Ace bikes just make sure you get the right size they are on the small side

Pauly

Just out of interest what are these going for 2nd hand nowadays?

wilko1999
    Free Member

I think the expression is ‘re-assuringly expensive’. I would really like one, but even the first LTc’s, 3-4 years old are being pitched around the 1200 to 1300 mark.

haggis1978

Id try and sit on one before i bought one though as people say a lot about Santa Cruz bikes being really short. I have a large frame running a 70mm stem and im 6’2″ and it feels just right.

wrecker
    Free Member

6ft on a large with a 65mm stem here. Feels perfect.

dingabell
    Free Member

What I failed to mention is that I was looking at the Blur for my brother who has now decided that he “can’t justify spending lots on a bike” I quite fancy one myself now after looking at them. Currently have a 575 so how different would an LTC be? It sounds like a very usable 160mm bike to me.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s 140mm rear travel. I have 36s down at 150mm on mine.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 and I ride a large LTc with a 55mm Haven stem and it’s pretty much perfect for me.
    I also run with Fox 36’s at 160mm and I think it’s a perfect match.
    The 20mm thru makes it a solid ride, the bike just goes where you point it.
    Defo recommend.
    I’ve replaced the shock bushes after about 1000 miles and I fitted the low friction plastic bushes that are super plush IMO.
    On about 1500 miles and the bearings are still fine.
    Can’t fault it other than the easily chipped finish.
    That’s only cosmetic though. It’s a mountain bike after all, not a Ferrari.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

6 foot here and my LT was a medium- bit short for me so I had a 70mm stem

iceman8
    Free Member

Look for play in the bearings (lower link especially) and the metal wear plate on the drive side chainstay.

Size wise I am 5’10 and sold my medium to get a large which with a 50mm stem is spot on.

It is an absolutely fantastic bike, quick on the ups and extremely fast (and stiff) on the downs. My only criticism is I found the stock head angle to be a tad too steep for the riding I do so whacked a 1.5 degree works headset in there which has made it so much more fun.

dingabell
    Free Member

Don’t know why I presumed it was 160mm? Probably the “long travel” in it’s name. Didn’t realise the Blur was only a short travel bike. Not really a step up for me then. Will still keep my eye on them though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As I have said before rode the Ali LT back to back with a Nomad in the lakes and i didn’t feel it was any shorter in the travel, absorbed everything really well. Pedalled really well up too (compared to the oranges I had tried earlier) without resorting to massive pro predal tunes.
    Missus has the LTC and I have just about settled on the LT for july built with 160mm 34’s and nice kit.

jiff
    Free Member

Wrecker,
    Sorry for delay in reply.
    Asking for £1200, complete with with Monarch can and Cane Creek headset. As I said, genuinely very little use and always looked after.

Also have the accompanying Rock Shox 120-150mm forks, 20mm maxle, Black Box motion control – £250 (these did sell on STW previously, but they were found to be the wrong sizing so I agreed to have them back)

Deore XT triple chainset 44/32/22 (crank length 175mm)
    shifters
    rear mech
    M770 cassette, 9spd, 11-34 & chain
    Again, not prepared to separate, sorry.
    BEST OFFER secures…..

Ta
    (sorry for hijacking the thread….)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Buying 2nd hand Santa Cruz Blur LTC. Anything to look for?’ is closed to new replies.