Buy your second hand frame in the USA!!

Home Forum Bike Forum Buy your second hand frame in the USA!!

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • Buy your second hand frame in the USA!!
  • dantsw13

I’ve only just calmed down after Santa Cruz USA refused to sell me a Heckler in their fire sale last year, for delivery to an address in the USA, because I didn’t have a US credit card, and they have an agreement with their uk distributors to rip us off for 40% extra

I then set about sourcing a second hand Heckler, and have just bought a 2010 Heckler in the states for £330! It is mint!

I also had an option on a 2009 Yeti 575 with 2 shocks for £350.

So if you travel to the states, or know someone who does, grab yourself a bargain! Get it delivered to your hotel, and the concierge will hold it for you.

Man yeah, what are they thinking?
    Imagine having a business contract in place with one of their best global customers and not wanting to ignore it by selling you a frame, geez.

dantsw13

I was in the states, buying a frame in the states, but they wouldn’t sell it as I had a UK credit card.

Within Europe such practices are illegal, and a restriction of trade.

Premier Icon DaveRambo
    Subscriber

You buy a frame in the UK from an authorised dealer so you have local contact if anything goes wrong.

No doubt if you bought direct from the states and you had an issue you’d expect them to pay postage there and back to sort it for you.

Shock horror business wants to export and provide proper local support for end users.

dantsw13

I can’t imagine Harrods refusing to sell to Americans, can you??

They would have sold me a full price frame, just not a sale one.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Dan Thomas wrote:

I’ve only just calmed down after ……. last year

What an interesting and full life you must lead.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I can see the OP stamping his feet and shouting ”It’s just not FAIR!”

Company’s can set their own rules for who and how they sell their products look at Trek in uk with ‘no mail order’ rules.

dantsw13

Trust STW to get to the nub of an argument

munrobiker

It’s not just unfair, it’s also illegal under EU law.

I bought one of my frames (an Evil Sovereign) new for £420 from the USA 6 years ago because Silverfish thought £850 was a perfectly reasonable amount to charge. It’s out of warranty now anyway, and has been fine, so who cares? I wasn’t fobbed off for an extra £430 when I didn’t need to be. If it had been a reasonable mark up then fine- I’d have paid maybe £600 for it when the dollar was at 50p.

taxi25

Looks like you got a good deal dantsw13. Not realy getting those posters giving you grief ❓ It almost sounds like you’ve done them out of money LOL. Perhaps they should get a life.

yunki

Trust STW to get to the nub of an argument

**** that!

Why do that when there is a person here that we can belittle in an delusional effort to improve our own self esteem

Getting back on topic..

FWIW I’ve been in a mood for nearly thirteen years about how quickly my toothbrush has worn out..
    I’m refusing to replace it as a mark of protest

That’ll teach ’em

dantsw13

Ah – some sense!! Order is restored in the universe. I am dead chuffed with my new(to me) Heckler though. Pics may emerge next week of it built up in Alps mode ready for the summer!

Stevelol

I bought my TRC new from the USA. it was basically half price, gotta be prepared to get shafted if it breaks though!

Good on you for working the system to your advantage~ sounds like you got a bargain and made some folk jealous.

Surely U.S. RRPs include distribution and warranty, with staff and premises to pay for, so how is it that an additional 40% is dolloped on top to add to the insult of the weather we have to endure.

TooTall

Many companies in the UK and the USA will not deliver to an address that is not that of the cardholder.

cynic-al

A great way to buy, I got a 2003 Heckler in 2005 for £250. It needed a new swingarm and SC USA gave me one – Jungle refused as I was not the original owner, which I thought was a bit crap.

mrlebowski

I bought my TRC new from the USA. it was basically half price, gotta be prepared to get shafted if it breaks though!

I bought a SC Blur XC in the US a few yrs ago on a UK CC with no problems at all. I then moved back to the UK.

I then broke the rear-stay, which SC UK fixed under warranty. SC UK know I bought the frame in the US.

Personally I think the OP just caught someone who was having a bad day & didnt want to sell their stuff to him. Bizarre I know but sh1t happens.

edit: I’ve also bought a SC Nomad from Competitive Cyclist in one of their sales & had it exported to the UK. I saved about £500 including all taxes. So it can be done..

dantsw13

SC USA would sell me a full price frame, but the terms and conditions of the fire sale required a US card for payment ” Due to agreements with our international suppliers”

Rip off Britain.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Errr, rip off USA if anything 😉

dantsw13

How? The high prices SC charge in the UK were the reason not to let UK cc holders buy cheaper frames in the states. What is the justification for a 40-50% markup in the UK?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

It’s an American company refusing to supply you, not a uk one?

*everything* in the uk costs 30-40% more than the equivalent uk price. 25-30% of that is import duties and VAT.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

25-30% of that is import duties and VAT.

Original sale should exclude local sales tax though – somewhere around 10% I think

ska-49

I still don’t fully understand why UK prices can be so high. Normally the £=$ on most things. Surly the frames that reach the UK are imported from the factory where they are produced? Am I missing something?

orangeboy

There is vat and extra duty that makes up some of the uk rrp
    Its not all going to the uk importers.

Junkyard

No doubt if you bought direct from the states and you had an issue you’d expect them to pay postage there and back to sort it for you.

Shock horror business wants to export and provide proper local support for end users
    yes that explains the high mark up it is their desire to deliver to us the best possible service

*everything* in the uk costs 30-40% more than the equivalent uk price. 25-30% of that is import duties and VAT.

there are sales tax in the US as well and we dont know the actual trade price which is probably 50%[ or less] of what the shop sell at anyway

I still don’t fully understand why UK prices can be so high. Normally the £=$ on most things. Surly the frames that reach the UK are imported from the factory where they are produced? Am I missing something?

Nope but this is what business does

Ska-49 – it’s not as simple as that.

Taking Santa Cruz as an example. SC sell direct to US shops who sell to US retail.
    Elsewhere in the world – SC sell to an importer, the importer transports the frame to their country, pays the shipping, duty and taxes, then the importer sells the frame to a shop who sell it to retail.

That’s a lot of additional expenses to incur.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Sounds like you got a good deal but SC choosing not to sell you the first time has nothing to do with Britain or EU Law. The main reason being that as you seemed to mention, you were in the US.

dantsw13

Drac – I completely agree. I was merely pointing out what happened to me is illegal between two EU members, as an example of how it was not ethical practice. They obviously can do it, as they did.

lazybike

Its not about what it costs…its about what the punters will pay. There’s a good reason that in world economics the UK is known as treasure island.

b r

Yes, people here think that a SC is a ’boutique’ brand 🙄

A bit like BMW. Here the dealer tells you what to pay and what spec you are getting, in Germany I was offered a discount on any.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

I still don’t fully understand why UK prices can be so high.

There’s no competition. Where there could be, it’s locked down.

* overseas brand has an exclusive deal with a UK importer, the brand needs this to get established, and the importer in effect controls the distribution chain ie the network of LBS they supply
    * the brand forbids anyone else (eg retailers in their own country) from shipping to the UK, probably on pain of having their supply cut off. This is probably part of their deal with the importer
    * the importer will only supply specific shops, and can basically control the price

All the various parties will tell you this is in your best interest, but if they were really working in your best interest they’d open up the distribution chain from these exclusive interests and let it find its own level. Basically there is no free market.

There is an upside – this system allows a space for the home-growns too operate in, eg On One, Cotic, Genesis, Singular, Whyte and so on. Canyon also get in under the radar.

But if the product you fancy is American, you’re stuffed. Even hardtails like Niners and Canfields are knocking on to 900 quid. You may be happy to import a hardtail and build it yourself, but the option is not avaiable to you.

dantsw13

Unless you go to the US yourself!! I’ve also bought back GoPro Blacks from the states for mates for a good deal less!!

Premier Icon oldfart
    Subscriber

I had similar when I tried to buy a Cove Hummer frame direct . Price was just over £600 compared to £1500 over here . Got around to deciding size when someone else came on the phone and said as I was in the UK I would have to source one here . This was after I had discussed shipping costs .Would have been no more than £750 I reckon .

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

dan yes, unless, from ^^:

I was in the states, buying a frame in the states, but they wouldn’t sell it as I had a UK credit card.

I’ve not heard of that before.

Also my understanding (could be wrong) is that if you use the bike before you import it to the UK it’s no longer ‘new’ and isn’t subject to VAT or import duty.

The downside is you take a punt on warranty. That’s part of the equation.

I once imported a high end major brand snowboard from the US (to France) and saved about 40% compared to the shop down the street. That was the difference between affordability and walking away.

STATO

Also my understanding (could be wrong) is that if you use the bike before you import it to the UK it’s no longer ‘new’ and isn’t subject to VAT or import duty.

Thats typical ‘some guy in the pub said’ rumour. It would be subject, tho you could argue at a slightly reduced rate due to not being new… until they find the receipt in your bag. Hence why lots of people buying stuff post receipts home, slightly naughty tho not exactly crime of the century.

smell_it

How dare a punter want to get himself a good deal, it’s not like he may have worked hard for his money and wants to get the most bang for his buck. Whilst the most appropriate response from those trying to do business here, in no doubt challenging times, would be to congratulate the op in getting himself sorted, and then explain the economic reality of trading over here and then to promote the added value the distributor and lbs network brings to the customer. What we get is a sneering response from a distributor and the usual bitter STW’ers, says a lot really.

I may have missed something here, but if a US company refuses to accept a UK credit card while you’re in the US and you want the item delivered to a US address, then why not just get a friend or colleague with a US credit card to buy it on your behalf and give them the money ?

si-wilson

On a frame how much do you think a distributor and then shop should/could make? Don’t forget shipping, tax, vat, handling and possible dumping tax in some instances. 🙂

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I bought a second hand set of Reba 29’s from one forumite and had them delivered to another Canadian forumite, he posted them on again to me in UK, I sent him a few extra £ to cover the hassle. I still ended up saving a lot over UK prices, as this was 6-7 years ago when 29er bits were rarer over her.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

On MTBR, a guy in the US has just been complaining that he can get an On One Fatty cheaper from the UK than in the US.

dantsw13

MTQ Graham. I travel to the states a lot with my job. I do have mates over there, but don’t like asking financial favours. Also, it was the last day of their sale. The really annoying bit was that they would have sold me it at USRRP, the agreement with foreign importers only stopped them selling me the sale price frame.

As it turns out, I now have a mint second hand frame for an even better price, so SC can go take a hike for my cash!!

Ah, OK, I guess it depends on how well you know someone as to whether you want to involve them in your finances or not.
    The “Do you want to buy this on your credit card, so you don’t actually pay for it for at least 30 days, and I will do you a bank transfer so the money goes in your account today ?” approach is always worth a try.

TooTall

He is some way beyond actually buying stuff now. I think he is well on his way to bringing down the international bicycle market one second hand frame at a time. 😐

mokl

When I was in the US a few years back I very nearly bought a Yeti ASR5 full build as it would have worked out a great deal cheaper than over here, even with shipping etc. I would have gotten a member of my family (American) to send it on for me afterwards. The guy in the shop had no problem with this.

Apologies for the dreary anecdote.

Euro

I’ve just found my hindsight spectacles with adapt and overcome lenses. Wearing them gave the idea of getting some sort of bankers draft (or merkin equivalent) or even cash to buy the bike you couldn’t buy with a UK card.

Looks like it worked out in the end though. Enjoy the new bike 😀

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Buy your second hand frame in the USA!!’ is closed to new replies.