• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Buy one Nukeproof, don’t get a 2nd one free ;) (NBD)
  • Alex

Nukeproof Digger

Nukeproof Digger

Nukeproof Digger

Sold my PlanetX Tempest which was brilliant for the Welsh C2C we did a couple of years ago, but not so much fun in the easy woodsy singletrack 15 mins ride from home. The same bike shop I bought the Giga from did me a fab deal on the last of the 2020/21 model.

First impressions; GRX is a lot nicer than Rival esp off road, can ride on the hoods all the time, 650b wheels and 47mm tyres are pretty compliant on road and grippy off (until it gets muddy then those tyres are useless!), a dropper post on a gravel bike (if you’re ride MTBs) makes a huge difference even on simple trail, and 500mm bars might be a bit too wide.

Also the oneup pump/co2/tool solution is fab. Maybe I’ll mount it on the other bottle cage tho until it dries up. It came back – like the bike – brown.

I’ll prob stick my space RicheyMax Flared bars on it that are 460s I think. And I have some 700cc/43s left over from the Tempest to try. Otherwise going to stay like this for our THIRD attempt at King Alfred’s Way in April.

Talking of which anyone know of a Seatpack I can use with a dropper?

honourablegeorge

That’s a nice looking bike. Shame to hear the senderos are no good in mud, there’s a few trails I ride where the 700×50 Pirelli Hard terrains I have are lethal, was considering a second wheelset with Senderos or Rutlands.

Alex

I’m used to 2.6 Magic Mary’s 🙂 I mean it was fun sliding about but I didn’t feel there was much grip. The mud in our local woods tho is super slippy and they’re no worse than any other 650/700 tyres I’ve tried. I’m sure someone (maybe @rocketdog) would have good suggestions.

I’m working on the assumption it’ll dry up in Spring and I won’t care!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ta11pau1

Those WTB sendero tyres are very capable in mud, used them on my old space chicken as a winter tyre.

Well, I found them fine – certainly grippy enough for my local stuff.

You want lethal – try the wtb byway on anything but dry dirt or tarmac, it’s like riding on an ice rink!

monkeyboyjc

I’ve not found a tyre yet on the gravel bike that can handle mud well.

+1 for the dropper on a gravel bike – it’s a must in my book on any bike that goes off road. I’ve found it useful on the road too, body possition changes on long rides and a little extra aero on decents.

honourablegeorge

Yeah, I’m probably looking for anything at all more capable than the dry tyres I have the slightest camber and the front wheel just goes

Alex

Those WTB sendero tyres are very capable in mud, used them on my old space chicken as a winter tyre.

Maybe it’s my expectations then. They do clear well but I assumed that because they don’t have much tread!

I was using the dropper on the road as well. I’ve got so used to them now, it feels unnatural not to have one on any bike.

Alex

Yeah, I’m probably looking for anything at all more capable than the dry tyres I have the slightest camber and the front wheel just goes

Oh they aren’t that bad. They slipped under power pretty easily in the mud but weren’t too slide-y in the corners. I was going steady tho, first ride and al that,

ta11pau1

Maybe it’s my expectations then. They do clear well but I assumed that because they don’t have much tread!

I found them fine, obviously they’re gonna have less grip than an MTB tyre but for gravel tyres (which aren’t that bad on tarmac) they’re pretty knobbly!

honourablegeorge

Yeah, this was “Gravel bikes make tame trails more exciting” – about ten k where I was in constant fear of OTB

a11y

Nice. I just can’t enjoy drops but if I did that’s the sort of thing I’d go for – flat-bar equivalent for me.

Another +1 on dropper post on a gravel bike, really reduced ‘oh shit’ moments when descending for me. Rarely use the whole 150mm drop though.

Re grippier (all things being relative) tyres for that, I’m using Schwalbe G One Ultrabites this winter. Grippy enough for my use in 700×50. Normally ride with Clement X’Plor MSOs in 700×50 for most of the year but the Ultrabite’s are much more appropriate for winter.

Tyres

Alex

With 500mm bars, I feel like I’m riding a 90s hardtail 😉

For the 90 min blasts from home, 15 mins there, 15 mins back, hour on some woody singletrack I think either a lightweight HT or a bike like the digger are great. Pros and Cons for each. As I want to do some longer multi day trips like the KAW which do include a chunk of road/gravel, this swings it to the drop bar for me. It’s also a lot of fun trying to remember how to ride bikes like this.

I do have a HT, but it’s a 64 deg, 160mm forked steel monster running 29×2.6 tyres.

Yetiman
    Free Member

That looks great. I’ve been running 650×47 Ramblers for the past few months on my Genesis Fugio but will be fitting new 650×50 Cinturato Gravel M’s tonight for a bit more bite. Hoping they don’t roll too badly. Almost plumped for the Senderos.

I’m undecided on a dropper post. I’m tempted to try one but I quite like the simplicity of my gravel bike and I seem to have managed ok so far riding mixed terrain without one.

Kryton57

That does look good. Tempted to bin my idea of a new road bike, sell my orange clock work ht and buy that.

ns77214
    Free Member

I’ve been using Cinturato M 650×50’s since the end of Summer last year. I’ve found they roll surprisingly well on the road and the extra grip over the rough is welcome, even in the wet – a good balance for year-round mixed riding.

jam-bo

That does look good. Tempted to bin my idea of a new road bike, sell my orange clock work ht and buy that.

do it, prevaricated for a long time on my buying atlas but loving it this winter.

i keep thinking about a dropper & grippier tyre combo  than the riddlers I have at the moment but I feel like then you’re down the path should’ve have just bought an xc race bike instead.

Kryton57

If you’re on the crux of the two sizes at 5’11.5, you’d size down for this kind of riding, right?

jam-bo

i hedged on the 54 rather than a 56 and it works for me.

unless is a mason like that thread about toverlap the other day.

Kryton57

Its less than 30mm smaller, ideal – I pout one in the basket.

So, anyone want to buy a large Tropical Blue Clockwork EVO? 😀

Alex

If you’re on the crux of the two sizes at 5’11.5, you’d size down for this kind of riding, right?

If you were looking at the Digger, I’m 5ft11, short legs and the L is defo the right size. Against the tempest it’s a lot lower TT but a bit more rangy. Kind of MTB Geo, I like it. Not sure when new ones are coming out, I expect they’ll be a bit better spec/more money 😉

I know I’ll never go ‘road riding’ for the sake of it. Only to get somewhere.  In most cases that’ll be one of two sets of woods within 30 min ride from home. I might go exploring on the way there or back, but mostly I’m heading off road (even if it’s only a bit gravelly).

Oh and dropper post for sure. I might put a non dropper in for the KAW but probably not 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Buy one Nukeproof, don’t get a 2nd one free ;) (NBD)’ is closed to new replies.