• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by sv.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Butcher 2.6 on 23mm Tech Enduro rim – Will I die?
  • kayak23

I got all excited in the recent thread about tyres given that I’ve totally ruined my Butcher Control, pointing to the Specialized discounts and bought a Butcher Grid 2.6 for the front of my Rocket.

I realised that I have Hope tech Enduro rims onit which are according to the specs;

• Width: 23mm internal, 28mm external

I have a 2.3 Butcher on there at the moment as I say, but obviously these 2.6s are really meant for wider rim widths.

Will I die or anything unsavoury like that?

joebristol

I’ve run a 2.5” wt Maxxis DHF on a 25mm rim without any dramas before.

I’ve just swapped that DHF (which has recently been on a 30mm rim) for a 2.6” Spec Hillbilly and size wise it doesn’t look massively bigger – and most of the size looks like it’s in the knobbles rather than the casing.

So you might be ok – just the tyre will be rounder than it’s intended to be. Whether that’s a problem with that tyre design I don’t know.

I generally prefer a rounder profile as it’s more predictable when it runs out of grip / I run out of talent.

Edit – what fork is that pictured – it’s not a 32mm forked Rockshox fork is it? If so (and it’s non boost) you might be a bit tight on clearance of the fork. My hillbilly is ok through a non boost Yari though so maybe you’ll be ok.

kayak23

Cheers.

Not my picture actually, but mine is on a 27.5 non-boost Pike. Looks like I currently have plenty of clearance, but I suppose we’ll see.

bikecurious
    Free Member

I’ve had a 2.5 WT dhf on a 23mm rim for around a year with no issues. Just swapped it for a shorty and I’d say same about that. Obviously like Joe says it’ll be rounder than intended but I don’t think it’s likely to be an issue at my level of riding.

Fairly certain I read somewhere that some WC teams are using 2.5 WT’s on 25mm rims so I wouldn’t worry.

kayak23

Mint. Cheers folks. 👍

joebristol

I’ve tried the 2.5wt DHF through a non boost 2017 Pike and it fit on there so you should be golden on that front. Mud guards are a little tight but still fit through the arch – just really noisy with crap being chucked up into it.

Edit – maybe it’s because I’m a bit crap, but I didn’t notice much difference with the tyre handling when I went 25mm inner width to a 30mm inner width wheel.

kayak23

No, not sure there would be any noticeable difference in 5mm either, but there you go. 😊

teethgrinder

2.6 Butcher and Hillbilly come up about the same size as 2.4 Michelin Wild Enduro.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t think you will die but you may not like the 2.6 on such narrow rims.  I have 2.6 Eliminator and Slaughter on 28mm rims and notice low tyre pressure much sooner than I do with other tyres, maybe it’s something to do with the shape or sidewalls but they get squirmy even a couple of psi under what I’d usually run.

dakuan
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.6 assegai and a 2.5 DHR on tech enduro rims. They work well enough – you won’t die. However it’s very noticable that they dont dig until until the bike is a high lean angle. In practice, while grip is high – you don’t feel like you are going to wash out, the bike turns ‘late’ and sluggishly. Ill be stickign with 2.3s until my wide rims turn up.

chiefgrooveguru

If you were happy with a Butcher Control before, then you’ll probably like it. I found it quite fussy in terms of pressure (only a couple of psi between boingy and squirmy) on the back of my Levo but there’s a lot of load going through that as I’m not light, the ebike is heavy and the rear tyre has a harder time than the front (it was much better once I added a foam insert).

timc
    Free Member

Currently running 2.6 Butcher black Diamonds on my Hardtail & Minion 2.5WT / 2.WT Exo plus combos on my Full Sus, both on 30mm rims i might add.

I like the butchers grip & you can run low pressures well with the Black Diamond casing, the grid is too weak for my liking. I do however also find that the tyre can be a lil bit boingy as mentioned above & have also read reviews of other finding the same. Will continue to experiment with pressures! grip is great though & rolling good.

sv

They only measure 2.4 inches, that’s on a 30mm rim.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Butcher 2.6 on 23mm Tech Enduro rim – Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.