Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • But does it still sound like a Hope hub?
  • Scapegoat

Just collected a wheel built with a new Hope pro2 evo. In 142×12 mm. The new hub is one of the new ones with more teeth for the pawls to engage on. It’s still reassuringly noisy, but no longer has the clack, clack, clack sound we all know (and love….. 😀 ) My son described it as “busier” , like a superstar superleggera, only not as whizzy. So, how come Hope haven’t made a big song and dance about the new setup? And am I disappointed that it doesn’t sound as distinctive?

Northwind

Think you’ve probably answered your own question, the change isn’t really that massive a change in terms of selling points (it’s nothing competitors haven’t offered for ages) but might put off some existing fans of the trademark noise.

kendo954
    Free Member

It will get a tad louder, they over pack it with grease 😉

glasgowdan
    Free Member

That noise doesn’t make you faster… it’s like putting a plastic juice carton in your back wheel

wwaswas

That noise doesn’t make you faster.

It makes me faster.

People can hear when I’m freewheeling so I pedal more to stop it happening 🙂

kcal

🙂

adsh
    Free Member

Pity, I don’t like busy sounding free wheels esp the CK style noise. I think Gee must have a CK on his Salsa A La Carte. The irritating noise from it was the reason I dropped back when he passed me on Sunday 😀

brakes
    Free Member

That noise doesn’t make you faster

similar to wwaswas, I think it does. I tend to pedal more as the noise can be annoying.

andytherocketeer

what wwaswas said, but also that people hear the racket and get out of the way sooner too, so you don’t need to slow down for path/track blockers.

creamegg
    Free Member

My Hope hub is disappointingly quiet at the moment, might strip it down tomorrow to see if I can get the full clack back. Riding with a near silent hub is just weird

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I dig the noise mine makes. And, yes, it’s useful. Seems some can even hear it over headphones!

bigjim

got a new one but not built it up yet, certainly sounds very different spinning it in my hand

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘But does it still sound like a Hope hub?’ is closed to new replies.