Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Busted XT Disk Brake
  • Nick

So after three rides with new pads they were so worn down that the pistons have come out too far on my rear caliper and I lost all the fluid from my rear brake.

Obviously this is a design fault and nothing to do with me not checking the pads before heading out yesterday for the annual Long Mynd dawn till dusk ordeal, but I do recall that once or twice I managed to get down to the metal with my Hope Mono Minis without the pistons popping out.

So, what is the likelihood that I will have completely shagged the caliper? Will I be able to get the pistons back in and will the seals be ok?

faustus

You should be able to get the pistons back in but it will be fiddly, then a re-bleed. Sintered pads next time!?

brassneck

It’d be a design fault if there were multiple reports perhaps, but mine are yet to do this.

Friday afternoon batch?

Nick

There’s plenty of reports of seals failing, maybe they also went the same way as mine?

Anyway I was joking, I’m guessing that if I had checked them (as I should have done before heading out to ride 35 miles in the rain, sleet, mud and grit) then I might have decided to install new pads, then all would have been well with the world and I wouldn’t have had to mince down Minton Batch with only one brake (instead of with two).

brassneck

Does seem a bit odd they got far enough out to dump fluid, might well be the seals. Worth the spares price to try and rebuild.

Sorry my irony detector appears to be disabled today 🙂 too many mince pies I reckon.

Nick

😀

If you can point me to a set of spare seals for sale I’ll take em, but they don’t seem to exist, looks like the caliper is a consumable item. 🙁

Still, whole brake is only £67 quid and would mean no bleeding.

tomaso
    Free Member

Calipers are available and current SLX ones are very similar

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

I’ve worn my xt pads down to the backing and not had the pistons leak. Although i have blown the pistons out when I mistakenly removed the bleed block during bleeding.

Were you using an xt disc with the brakes?

Nick

Were you using an xt disc with the brakes?

Ahhh, no, Hope, hmmm they could be thinner couldn’t they….

legend
    Free Member

Not enough to make that kinda difference

Northwind

Hope do make a 1mm thinner rotor don’t they? So they can pretend their race models are lighter than they are 😉 Add a wee bit of wear and that could make that much difference.

I think more likely though, is the disc centred?

Nick

One pad has quite a lot left, the other non, disk looks centered to me.

Looks as though one piston had stuck and worn down the pad, I then grabbed a bit of brake and the piston has just come out enough to go skew-wiff and then leak, its now stuck good and proper – can’t move it at all.

Ordered an SLX caliper from Evans for 23.99 delivered.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Busted XT Disk Brake’ is closed to new replies.